+ Reply to Thread
Page 719 of 814 FirstFirst ... 219619669709717718719720721729769 ... LastLast
Results 7,181 to 7,190 of 8133
  1. #7181
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    It was a raw deal pretty much, so my dad is an idiot for going through with whatever he thought he was going to do.
    Not necessarily, but restaurants are a brutal business. 50%-60% fail in the first few years.

  2. #7182
    All-Pro Moke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Not necessarily, but restaurants are a brutal business. 50%-60% fail in the first few years.

    I always thought it was even more than that.

    It's just horrible, my mom thinks that he doesn't want to work.

  3. #7183
    All-Pro gmen0820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Audubon, New Jersey
    Posts
    18,930
    Not really an idiot. It's tough to foresee those types of things. I'm sharing what I've heard from others, but for someone who hasn't heard something like that would think: "This guy (partner) is loaded, he's been successful, and his investment risk is far higher than mine -- so he definitely won't let this thing go belly up."

    Unfortunately, though, the relative risk tends to favor the majority shareholder, and when that balance is too far in the partner's favor, that's when the shady, yet legal, **** happens.

    The pizzerias that I work for have a similar buy-in system in place, but they're a slam-dunk deal with far more aligned interests. In addition to his impressive track-record, my boss is very ethical, too.

  4. #7184
    All-Pro gmen0820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Audubon, New Jersey
    Posts
    18,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Not necessarily, but restaurants are a brutal business. 50%-60% fail in the first few years.
    Most small-businesses, in general, fail within the first 5 years. A lot of that is due to incompetent ownership, but with restaurants in particular, it's a very saturated market with a lot of variables.

    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    I always thought it was even more than that.

    It's just horrible, my mom thinks that he doesn't want to work.
    The rift between your mother and father is only compounding the issue, and that's a shame. It's a bad situation, as is.

  5. #7185
    All-Pro Moke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12,259
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Most small-businesses, in general, fail within the first 5 years. A lot of that is due to incompetent ownership, but with restaurants in particular, it's a very saturated market with a lot of variables.

    The rift between your mother and father is only compounding the issue, and that's a shame. It's a bad situation, as is.
    Yep, I know.

    It's affecting all of us.

    My mom expects me to pay for my car insurance next month...not sure how I can really afford it...I'm gonna have to figure out a way to get to school/work a different way now.

  6. #7186
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,666
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Yep, I know.

    It's affecting all of us.

    My mom expects me to pay for my car insurance next month...not sure how I can really afford it...I'm gonna have to figure out a way to get to school/work a different way now.
    Not that this is ideal, but is it too late to get more in a student loan?

  7. #7187
    All-Pro gmen0820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Audubon, New Jersey
    Posts
    18,930
    Wow, I'm actually doing $1,200's worth of FF leagues this year.

  8. #7188
    All-Pro gmen0820's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Audubon, New Jersey
    Posts
    18,930
    It's almost...it's almost sickening.

  9. #7189
    All-Pro Drez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    13,666
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    Wow, I'm actually doing $1,200's worth of FF leagues this year.
    I think you have a problem.

  10. #7190
    All-Pro Rudyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The Trap house
    Posts
    32,283
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I think you have a problem.
    You think?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts