+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

How is Diehl Still Here?

In Jerry Reese I trust, and while I have no major problems with any of the big cuts we've made thus far to save money (Bradshaw, Boley, Canty)...how in the world is Diehl still here? He should have been cut #1.

Webster I can understand, since it's not like we have an immediate replacement for him ready to go. But Diehl? We have plenty of O-Lineman who have shown they can step up to the plate. Diehl is taking up a lot of space on the cap, and what for? Is he going to get cut or what?

For the record, I love Diehl. He's been a great Giant. But there's a time to move on, and now is that time. He's just not very good anymore.

Veteran
    I've been wondering the same thing. Time will tell.

He's here because he is still our RT and could very well be our next starting LG if Boothe walks . His versatility is what keeps him hanging to a job in the NFL.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive92 View Post
    In Jerry Reese I trust, and while I have no major problems with any of the big cuts we've made thus far to save money (Bradshaw, Boley, Canty)...how in the world is Diehl still here? He should have been cut #1.

Webster I can understand, since it's not like we have an immediate replacement for him ready to go. But Diehl? We have plenty of O-Lineman who have shown they can step up to the plate. Diehl is taking up a lot of space on the cap, and what for? Is he going to get cut or what?

For the record, I love Diehl. He's been a great Giant. But there's a time to move on, and now is that time. He's just not very good anymore.
    You haven't been paying attention if you think we have plenty of OL that can be an immediate replacement for Diehl.

I agree that his salary probably dictated a releasing, but right now they have no one better. Without knowing what will happen with Boothe, and no one that can beat out Diehl at RT, he absolutely must stay. I heard a few say they think Brewer can get it done at RT, but Im not so sure about that. Id feel much safer with Diehl. If Boothe is not resigned, there is no question Diehl is the best candidate for LG, which is where he always belonged anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by StrahanSoup92 View Post
    I agree that his salary probably dictated a releasing, but right now they have no one better. Without knowing what will happen with Boothe, and no one that can beat out Diehl at RT, he absolutely must stay. I heard a few say they think Brewer can get it done at RT, but Im not so sure about that. Id feel much safer with Diehl. If Boothe is not resigned, there is no question Diehl is the best candidate for LG, which is where he always belonged anyway.
    Believe it or not, Diehl sucked more at guard than he did at tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Believe it or not, Diehl sucked more at guard than he did at tackle.
    Honestly I dont think he "sucked" at either spot. But I have to disagree with you, in the past Diehl hasnt done bad at LG.

This is looking to be his last season tho, so the Giants need to address the OLine in draft, preferably some early round picks.

Question...Just out of curiosity, the Giants gave up the fewest sacks in the league last year, 20. How many of these were because of Diehl? I wasnt able to find individual stats on this on our lineman. While I remember a few plays where he got ran over, I dont think it was half as bad as most posters here are saying.
    Last edited by StrahanSoup92; 03-05-2013 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive92 View Post

What is the rush?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by StrahanSoup92 View Post
    Honestly I dont think he "sucked" at either spot. But I have to disagree with you, in the past Diehl hasnt done bad at LG.

This is looking to be his last season tho, so the Giants need to address the OLine in draft, preferably some early round picks.

Question...Just out of curiosity, the Giants gave up the fewest sacks in the league last year, 20. How many of these were because of Diehl? I wasnt able to find individual stats on this on our lineman. While I remember a few plays where he got ran over, I dont think it was half as bad as most posters here are saying.
    According to PFF Diehl's play improved towards the end of the season. I can't answer your question on sacks.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All-Pro
    Do they gain anything from cutting him financially? If so how much? He may be making way to much money, but if they are only going to save a little bit of money they will probably keep him.