+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Source: Giants hope to re-sign Kevin Boothe and Martellus Bennett before market opens

Quote Originally Posted by ibbill View Post
    Jomo I was feeling good till I read your post that is a problem same as last year yikes. If we get a RT we may be better. Were into the hope stuff.double yikes
    I sort of overstate it to make my point. Most of our guys on the OL are adequate enough individually (except for RT) but we don't have a single stud (no more for Snee) and the group's performance speaks for itself. Third and short.........ugh!

Sometimes people here get all hung up on keeping "our guys" without realizing the obvious. "Our guys" along the OL just aren't that good and change might be EXACTLY what we need there.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1282880

Excerpt: "Three key players from the Giants’ last Super Bowl championship team have already been booted out the door, and it’s possible more could follow in the next few days. The Giants have 16 unrestricted free agents. They’re coming off a disappointing, playoff-less season.

And without much salary cap room to make a big splash in free agency — at least at the moment — this would seem to be the perfect time to … rebuild.

“We don’t use that word,” Tom Coughlin said earlier this week. “I don’t want to lose anybody, but we know it’s a business. Change is always inevitable. But …”

Left unsaid is that the Giants still have a two-time Super Bowl MVP at quarterback and they believe they have a championship core around him. So when the free agent market opens at 4 p.m. Tuesday their priority will be keeping that core together. And then, if they are unable to re-sign players such as tight end Martellus Bennett, safety Kenny Phillips and guard Kevin Boothe, they would look to replace them at reasonable cost.

“You just try to keep as many good players as you can on your roster,” Giants GM Jerry Reese said. “Keep your nucleus intact.”

That’s why the Giants’ top priority this offseason was to re-sign left tackle Will Beatty, which they did on Feb. 27 when they gave him a five-year, $38.75 million deal. According to a team source, they also hope to re-sign Boothe and Bennett before the market opens, though deals do not appear imminent.

How far the Giants can go to re-sign them (or replace them) depends on their actions over the next few days. After restructuring the contract of center David Baas and getting cornerback Corey Webster to agree to a $3 million cut Thursday, the Giants are believed to be about $9 million under the $123 million salary cap. About $6 million to $7 million of that will be taken up by tenders to their three restricted free agents, running back Andre Brown, safety Stevie Brown and receiver Victor Cruz." Read more...
    even though i love him, can't see the black unicorn back

Quote Originally Posted by MattMeyerBud View Post
    even though i love him, can't see the black unicorn back
    His personality really started to grow on me. In the OTA, he comes in a little overweight and very outspoken for a new guy and I was worried. As time progressed, I came to see him as an interesting, bight guy with a colorful personality. Nothing wrong with that. I wish him the best wherever he lands.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    His personality really started to grow on me. In the OTA, he comes in a little overweight and very outspoken for a new guy and I was worried. As time progressed, I came to see him as an interesting, bight guy with a colorful personality. Nothing wrong with that. I wish him the best wherever he lands.
    yea but i remember reading his weight was up due to muscle mass, not because he was being lazy...

Its hard to say we shoudl throw money at any tight ends though, Reese has been a genious with our TE situation since he got here

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    I am guessing he's not going to Tampa since it's now being reported his brother, Michael, is probably not going to be invited back by the Bucs.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-08-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by nygpolishpunk View Post
    I have an idea, cut Deihl and sign Bennett..... not that crazy
    problem solved
    Bill Loyal to the NYG logo

For God sake just release Diehl and resign Marty already. As a TE his blocking is more valuable then DDs at this point.

If we can sign Boothe to a cheap offer great but I'm not excited about bringing him back either. Our OL has been crap the last few years and we should be looking to replace them, not bring them back for another ****ty season.

At this point, Marty should be our highest resign priority.

Quote Originally Posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
    For God sake just release Diehl and resign Marty already. As a TE his blocking is more valuable then DDs at this point.

If we can sign Boothe to a cheap offer great but I'm not excited about bringing him back either. Our OL has been crap the last few years and we should be looking to replace them, not bring them back for another ****ty season.

At this point, Marty should be our highest resign priority.
    Agreed. I don't understand the fuss about bringing Boothe back. I'm not sold on him as a starter. I'd be happier if they brought in someone new.

Deihl is just too old and his skills declined too much. If he gets cut I won't be surprised if he retired. He was a great player for us, helped with 2 rings, I have nothing against him. I even met the guy, he's super nice and just a normal guy. But this team needs to get younger and better at the line.

Quote Originally Posted by nygpolishpunk View Post
    I have an idea, cut Deihl and sign Bennett..... not that crazy
    wow.. that's just crazy enough to work..!

It all starts with the man in the middle (Baas) and he gets no push in the run game......I don't care if he took a paycut.....it doesn't make any less horrid at run blocking.

For his overall cost it probably makes him the Giants' worst free agent acquisition in recent years.

+ Reply to Thread