+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How bad did the Dolphins screw this up?

What a good deal for a 2nd WR.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It's obsecne. True, but obscene
    I don't see how these ridiculous averages can be maintained when the salary cap is proportionally increasing at a relatively slow pace.

Teams are soon gonna have to debate whether they only want a couple of ELITE players and a bunch of average-to-below average players, or just a team with uniformly average players. Joe Flacco's deal is nuts, too; unless the next QBs in line to get huge deals (Rodgers, Stafford, Luck) reverse the trend by taking more modest deals with averages around 15, rather than 20 (which won't happen), then having a franchise QB is gonna be very expensive. Oh, and average QBs, like Alex Smith, will start getting 65-70 million dollar contracts!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    I don't see how these ridiculous averages can be maintained when the salary cap is proportionally increasing at a relatively slow pace.

Teams are soon gonna have to debate whether they only want a couple of ELITE players and a bunch of average-to-below average players, or just a team with uniformly average players. Joe Flacco's deal is nuts, too; unless the next QBs in line to get huge deals (Rodgers, Stafford, Luck) reverse the trend by taking more modest deals with averages around 15, rather than 20 (which won't happen), then having a franchise QB is gonna be very expensive. Oh, and average QBs, like Alex Smith, will start getting 65-70 million dollar contracts!
    It will soon be like the NBA. A few stars and the rest of the roster will be full of scrubs!

I think Cruz is a unique player. I agree he should be able to make "the market value" whatever that is. BUT the money players get across the board is really obscene. We create that environment. We buy season tickets, wearing apparel, books they write, etc.

If Cruz were to be offered that kind of money, why would we expect him to stay here to make less than 3?

I still don't think any team is going to make him an offer that includes a 1st round.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by rtlax View Post
    One of my best friends is a big fins fan and gets the ticket every year, I have seen Hartline play a ton or the past few years. He is a good player on a team without a ton of help for him.
    Yeah, but free agency is more about a players value relative to league talent, rather than team talent (which should only play a minor role).

It's when teams lose sight of this that we get guys like Charles Johnson receiving a 72 million dollar contract. Granted, Charlotte is a small market, but how often does Charles Johnson come to mind when discussing top DEs (saved you the trouble, Johnson is a DE )?

Quote Originally Posted by hugehomer View Post
    Brian Hartline had one monster game against the Cardinals that made his yardage total for the year look so good. One fourth of his yearly total in one game
    His only score came in that game, too.

Wouldn't Bowe's have set the bar even higher?

Doesn't Smith already make like $10m a year?

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Doesn't Smith already make like $10m a year?
    He averages 8 per, so essentially. Nuts.

Under Reid, I can see him landing a bigger pay day from KC down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Wouldn't Bowe's have set the bar even higher?
    Bowe's would raise the ceiling; Hartline's would raise the floor.

+ Reply to Thread