+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Teams lining up for Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Eye of the beholder issue. As for Cruz's 2012 numbers compared to 2011, Eli's off year had something to do with that.
    Maybe Nicks' injuries had something to do with Eli's off year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by TuckandRolle View Post
    Have read numerous articles that teams are supposedly lining up to make Cruz an offer once FA starts. Public knowledge indicates the GMen will put a first round tender on him so if a team makes him an offer we don't match. We get their 1st round pick. Because the Rams have 2 first round draft picks, I've been hearing they very well use one of those picks to make Cruz a substantial long term offer.

Obviously tampering allegations would be enforced if a team publicly expressed the interest to make an offer to an RFA prior to the FA period, so this all could be a smoke screen being produced by Cruz's agent to create some urgency from the Giants FO, so no one really knows. But the past 2 days I've been hearing more and more of this.

Personally, I would love to give Cruz up for a 1st round pick. He's 26 years old, we have Nicks and Randle is looking to break out this year. We could lock down a stud OL and LB/CB with 2 picks in the first round, get considerably younger and have more cap space to sign Nicks to a long term deal. If Cruz does indeed leave for a 1st round pick, 3 picks within the first 2 rounds would do wonders for us. Just my opinion, but with Eli at the helm, he makes everyone around him better. And with a beast, young OL and running game, Eli will have even more time to pick apart defenses. And if Cruz leaves, I can't see him having the success he has had in NY elsewhere....because of Eli.
    I want Cruz but that 2 first round picks would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Take two.......
    take 3 geez felt like my head was gonna explode
    FUTURE NFL STAR

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i assume it depends. if offers can be made/accepted after the draft, of course the pick would be for next yr. if there are time restrictions with rfa's, it could be only for that year...

i personally think the first scenario is more likely but good question...
    Offer wouldn't be made after the draft for an RFA, so it would only be for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahh View Post
    Maybe Nicks' injuries had something to do with Eli's off year.
    and I guess you can throw the mediocre play of the offensive line as part of Eli's off year too. He may not have gotten sacked as much as other QBs, but he was under heat quite a bit last season, his timing was thrown off.
    "Why did it take us three years to figure out Jerel Jernigan can play?" John Mara

I like Cruz, don't get me wrong.

But as I have gotten older and wiser(somewhat), I have realized how much of a mega-business the NFL has become since the days of me watching the original miracle at the Meadowlands, the 1986 Superbowl and 1990 Superbowl wins.

The almighty dollar drives this league more than ever. Though loyalty is important to any team or player, sometimes we just have to sit back and realize that we cant have our cake and eat it too.

If we can tender Cruz, keep him this year and get him a new contract during the season, before 2014, that would be ideal. But if we tender him, and team "X" offers him a contract that the Giants cannot match, then we get that 1st rd pick from team "X" and make the most of it. I do NOT by any means, envy any GM in the league when it comes to personnel decisions and the salary cap.
    "Why did it take us three years to figure out Jerel Jernigan can play?" John Mara

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt830 View Post
    and I guess you can throw the mediocre play of the offensive line as part of Eli's off year too. He may not have gotten sacked as much as other QBs, but he was under heat quite a bit last season, his timing was thrown off.
    Don't forget all the drops and not having a running game.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzlesticks View Post
    Don't forget all the drops and not having a running game.
    agreed. There were several reasons why Eli's numbers fell off in 2012.

I will be HIGHLY disappointed in Reese & everyone else in the organization if they let Cruz walk.

If Cruz is lost for a first round pick, I'm gonna pity whoever is picked in the first round in his place. Expectations are going to be really high.

+ Reply to Thread