+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TuckandRolle View Post
    Fueling the fire: Front page of nfl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...er-eyes-market
    We will know soon enough. Maybe they won't tender him at all?

Cruz is not the only talented WR available and some don't require a draft pick
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    This article by Ian Rapoport just came out. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...er-eyes-market

1. Restricted free agency won't be lame

At this point, it's almost a foregone conclusion. Teams assign their own players with restricted free-agent tenders ... and then nothing happens. Could this year be different? Arizona Cardinals quarterback Brian Hoyer is still a restricted free agent on a technicality, and he could garner some interest. If he's tendered at a second-round level, that might be an investment worth making. But Victor Cruz is the most interesting. The New York Giants slot receiver will almost certainly receive a first-round tender if the team can't work out a long-term deal with him. And from what I hear, there is already a ton of interest and plenty of teams just waiting for their opening. Yes, it's tough to gauge a market on slot guys like Wes Welker, Danny Amendola and Cruz -- especially in systems that so clearly benefit them. But there is enough interest in Cruz to make me think this could be the year someone bites on an RFA. And if no one takes the plunge on Cruz? Then it may be time to wonder how effective this system really is.
    Sounds like pure speculation. Of course a team can bite and go after a player with a 1st round tender, but so far since the league has implemented it no team has done it (that I am aware of)And for good reason, 1st round picks are your future and you get them for at-least 4-5 years on rookie contracts. Also if a team gives up a 1st they have to be willing to spend a lot of money long term on a player. The best run franchises draft smart and pick up key free agents instead of the big free agent splash.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    We will know soon enough. Maybe they won't tender him at all?

Cruz is not the only talented WR available and some don't require a draft pick
    The only way that happens if he is signed before FA starts. Getting a decent 1st round pick for Cruz would soften the blow a bit.

I think most of you all are in denial regarding the possibility of this happening.

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bklyn1028 View Post
    I agree with you...... a lot of a former Giants player the last 5 or so years who left and were COMPLETELY un-successful...... Seems the ones I can remember busted, or wound up on a losing team....
    SS (Ol doc Warren hit the nail on the head with that call)
    Ballard never played
    Derrick Ward busted and is now retired
    Shockey never fared that well in N.O.
    Plaxico
    Kevin Boss probably screwed himself the most along with Steve Smith
    Gabril Wilson left for a huge contract in I believe Raiders....never panned out
    Barry Cofield is the only one I can think of that fared well when he left.
    Manningham was playing well last year before going down. I think he will rebound for SF.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie0075 View Post
    The only way that happens if he is signed before FA starts. Getting a decent 1st round pick for Cruz would soften the blow a bit.
    Maybe Reese just thinks any FA receiver coming on Eli's team can replace Cruz
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by rtlax View Post
    Manningham was playing well last year before going down. I think he will rebound for SF.
    Colin Cowherd had a good stat on pro bowler receivers leaving a team for another. Something like only 18percent end up at another pro bowl. I always think thats more attributed to the type of teams that can afford these FAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahh View Post
    I think most of you all are in denial regarding the possibility of this happening.
    It is possible, it's not probable.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Jahh View Post
    I am sure the Giants are not in denial and are preparing for the draft as if they might have 2 1st round picks. Its a business it happens and as fans we have to move and trust the organization.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    I will just NEVER understand some of you people.... Do you watch the Giants? You would love to give up Cruz for a #1 pick? Are you high? Cruz is the oil that makes the offense run. Nicks is ALWAYS hurting with nagging injuries, Randle is somewhat still unproven, but I think he could fill Nicks spot. I honestly, truely can not fathem what some of you say on this board sometimes.

Cruz, Eli, JPP are all worth well more then just a lat first round pick, which is what the Giants would get.

If we lose Cruz, we might as well start rebioulding IMO. Cut Rolle, Webster, Snee, Tuck, anyone over 30.... Cause if Cruz leaves, we wont be able to replace him. We got EXTREMELY lucky he emerged after we lost Smith. Cruz IMO is a top 10, if not top 5 WR in this league with a HUGE impact on the offense.
    I think you are the high one my friend, Nicks is clearly the best receiver on the team, and judging by what has happened so far this offseason, he was clearly the organization's #1 priority as far as WRs are concerned. As far as him being injury prone is concerned, last year was the only year so far he has had injury problems, yet he still played 13 out of the 16 games. Losing a slot receiver is not going to to cripple this team contrary to your belief. Cruz had a great year in 2011, last year he did pretty well also, however he was not a top 10 let alone a top 5 WR last year where he saw the most targets on the team.