+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Menelik Watson and Justin Hunter generating 1st round buzz

Menelik Watson and Justin Hunter generating 1st round buzz

Menelik Watson Gets First-Round Grade

Published March 8, 2013
    By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Speaking with scouts from across the NFL has yielded a common refrain: the 2013 draft class lacks top-shelf, elite talent. However, it has good depth in the mid-rounds. That adds up to there not being a lot of clear-cut first-round picks. Teams are instead seeking to use first-round picks on players with big upside. A few days ago, WalterFootball.com disclosed that Tennessee wide receiver Justin Hunter was projected by teams to go in the first round; we can now add Florida State offensive tackle Menelik Watson to that list.

Sources have told WalterFootball.com that Watson is grading out as a top-32 pick despite only playing one season of big-time college football. He grew up playing basketball in Manchester, England, and ended up at Florida State after playing some junior college football. Watson took the ACC by storm in 2012 and was a dominant blocker. The Seminoles had a lot of success running behind him and he did extremely well in pass protection.

The 6-foot-5, 310-pounder has quick feet with superb agility for an offensive lineman. He is strong and has the length to remain at tackle in the NFL. Watson's athleticism has led some teams to believe he could make the move to left tackle after some developmental time.

Scouts have told WalterFootball.com that Watson is a really smart kid and is good on the chalk board. He wowed teams with his football knowledge in the Combine interviews. Even though Watson is a raw talent, it appears that he made a good decision by entering the 2013 NFL Draft.

Sources named the Bears, Bengals, Rams, Colts, Seahawks and Packers as possible landing spots for Watson in the latter half of the first round. He is grading out as a Thursday-night pick since teams are prioritizing upside.

Justin Hunter Generating First-Round Buzz

Published March 6, 2013
    By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

Tennessee wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson has been the wideout who has received the most attention leading up to the 2013 NFL Draft. Patterson is the consensus top-rated wide receiver and is expected to go in the top 20 on Draft Day. While he has garnered the most headlines, teammate Justin Hunter is also getting acclaim in scouting circles.

WalterFootall.com spoke with some scouts, including one from a receiver-needy team picking in the back half of the top 32. All believe that Hunter is likely to go in the first round. They said the Combine really helped Hunter with positive reports from his medical check and an excellent 40-yard dash time of 4.44 seconds.

The 6-foot-4, 196-pound Hunter is proving that he is regaining his speed and explosiveness following a 2011 ACL injury. Hunter missed most of that season before playing in every game of 2012. He totaled 73 receptions for 1,083 yards and nine touchdowns in an offense that spread the ball around to Hunter, Patterson, Zach Rogers and Mychal Rivera.

Scouts told WalterFootball.com that they love the upside of Hunter. He has the size to work in the short to intermediate part of the field and speed to get vertical. They like his run-after-the-catch ability as well as his combination of size and speed. Hunter hasn't received a lot of first-round buzz, but one team in the mid 20s said it would be ecstatic if he was on the board for its pick.

Hunter's upside was another reason that scouts felt he was likely to go in the first round. They said in this draft class, players with big upside are very appealing in the late first round rather than those who are deemed safe.

Judging by the sound of the scouts' opinions, Hunter has been underrated nationally and stands a good shot of being a Thursday-night selection.

Veteran
    is there film on these guys?

We have plenty of Watson and Hunter. Hunter might be the best WR in the class. ACL injury last year though

Watson

vs MD

vs FL

vs Miami

vs Northern Illinois

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nkupPUvnJ6U

Justin Hunter, Thought we had more on Hunter I will have to cut a Multi of him

Missouri

NC st

Cinci 2011
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 03-08-2013 at 08:00 PM.

I put down Terron Armstead on my possible surprise 1st rd picks, but basically the same reasons were hering about Watson now possibly being in the mix for 1st, and thats upside raw OT's with LT potential tend to sneak in RD1, and i've always had Justin Hunter in my 1st rd, going to Carolina... I never wavored from that, so its no surprise to me with either player, really...

Hunter is a good WR for sure. I like him a lot over most Wrs in the 1st talk. The ACL hurt him but he should be back to normal by the beginning of the season. OTs can go on sprees like QBs because every team needs a LT. Armstrong and Watson in the 1st is realistic. They both have good potential and are athletic. This first round could be very interesting. I feel like quite a few mid to first round locks could fall to the 2nd and some surpirses will definitely happen in the 1st!

+ Reply to Thread