+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For all who were so worried about Damontre Moores Bench Press reps...

For all who were so worried about Damontre Moores Bench Press reps...

I certainly wasen't one of em, and would love the value we would get at 19 with him, as people who over analyze stuff like a bench on any given day usually miss out on good players, and what do u know, he increased his bench numbers from 12 to 19 in only a matter of a week??lol Hmmm? Also gained 10lbs in about a wk... Now hes 6ft 4in 260lbs who just lifted the bench 19times and has a non stop motor and tore up the tough SEC this past season.. Like i said before, the value is tremendous at 19...

I think it's the combine process. At the combine they have 18 hour days and players don't get much sleep. Too much pressure to perform under those circumstances....I don't understand why they run the facility that way.

These guys always perform better at their pro days because they're more relaxed and not sleep deprived.

A lot of time these guys prepare for one aspect of the pre-draft scouting process. So, he might come into the combine 10 pounds lighter in order to perform better in the 40 and the position drills, but the loss of 10 pounds hurts him on the bench. Then, for his pro day he puts the 10 pounds back on and is able to perform better on the bench. Scott Pioli was talking about this very thing on NFL Radio the other morning.

This doesn't bother me at all.

Moore is a beast on the football field. Combine numbers are always hit or miss, eg. Dontari Poe received 1st round hype after combine buzz but his play in college was mediocre. Moore falling to 19 would be a gift.

I'm warming up to him but I wish his first step was a little more consistent. There are times it looks like he is the slowest off the line but then he flashes the pass rushing talent he has. He is only 20 years old so I could see Reese liking that and viewing him as a long term positive to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    I'm warming up to him but I wish his first step was a little more consistent. There are times it looks like he is the slowest off the line but then he flashes the pass rushing talent he has. He is only 20 years old so I could see Reese liking that and viewing him as a long term positive to this team.
    I normally view prospects in the long term with this team. It is rare for a rookie to make an impact with the giants honestly. Due to the talent at the DE position, the competition brings the best out of players. Moore's biggest game last year from what I remember was against Florida, which isn't saying much because the Gators were giving away sacks. He would benefit from this system.

I know a lot of people here like to glance at combine performance and determine a guy's worth, and those people rarely admit that is what they are doing. But the simple fact is Moore is a very good football player and anyone who watched him play will see it. I also think people(when talking about a DL/DE) look at a guy's sack total as the only imoprtant stat. I am not saying Moore's sack total wasnt good either, because it was. But the fact is this guy is JUST as good in other areas. He is very good at gap control and excels vs the run. In particular, watch what he does to mobile Qbs this year. Watch what he does vs the option teams. We are in a division with 3 mobile Qbs, I love a guy who understands gap control, who can get after a QB from multple places along the DLine, and who can play smart.

Personally, I believe if the combine didnt exist, and we evaluated guys only on thier tape that Moore would be considered the best all around DE in this draft. Or at least very close to Werner.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 03-10-2013 at 12:48 PM.

I can see how players don't have their best days doing the bench at the combine, considering everything that is going on... or just don't think it's that important. I remember hearing that Trent Richardson said he was just going to do 25 and stop.. anymore that that for a RB is just irrelevant.
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I know a lot of people here like to glance at combine performance and determine a guy's worth, and those people rarely admit that is what they are doing. But the simple fact is Moore is a very good football player and anyone who watched him play will see it. I also think people(when talking about a DL/DE) look at a guy's sack total as the only imoprtant stat. I am not saying Moore's sack total wasnt good either, because it was. But the fact is this guy is JUST as good in other areas. He is very good at gap control and excels vs the run. In particular, watch what he does to mobile Qbs this year. Watch what he does vs the option teams. We are in a division with 3 mobile Qbs, I love a guy who understands gap control, who can get after a QB from multple places along the DLine, and who can play smart.

Personally, I believe if the combine didnt exist, and we evaluated guys only on thier tape that Moore would be considered the best all around DE in this draft. Or at least very close to Werner.
    I agree.. U woulden't find anyone on here talking much to any smack about Moore untill his combine performance, and then all of a suddden, most on here suddenly didn't like em, and never thought he was a top player...etc..etc lol Its ridiculous.. I've always said the combine is one day, and sometimes u can have the same prospect do the same drill a day later, and they'll have diffrent times numbers.. Thats why guys sit on there combine numbers often, because there afraid they won't put up the same numbers again on a diffrent day... Yet, knowing this, people still get all crazy about combine stuff.. I"m more of and always been actual game production first and foremost...

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    I certainly wasen't one of em, and would love the value we would get at 19 with him, as people who over analyze stuff like a bench on any given day usually miss out on good players, and what do u know, he increased his bench numbers from 12 to 19 in only a matter of a week??lol Hmmm? Also gained 10lbs in about a wk... Now hes 6ft 4in 260lbs who just lifted the bench 19times and has a non stop motor and tore up the tough SEC this past season.. Like i said before, the value is tremendous at 19...
    defiantly a plus for him. if im not mistaken JPP did 19 reps

+ Reply to Thread