+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This TE

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Dion Sims from Michigan State is a similar player
    Id be on board with him too. Lots of good TEs, but I dont want one until the 4th or later.. too many other priorities.

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by giantcarll View Post
    Combines dont tell all.Theres combine speed then theres game speed.Im sure Pascoe did better right?Just check out highlights hes faster than u think in a game.
    Thats true to a point but there is a cut off for athletic ability for the NFL.

Veteran
    I don't like slow players at virtually all positions.
    Last edited by Imgrate; 03-15-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Williams seemed way heavier at his pro day than he has all year. I think someone said he had put on ten pounds. I wonder if he's already had someone tell him his best chance in the NFL is to bulk up into an OL?
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

I dunno, I do think the Giants will value him more than other teams because we like TEs who can block. But, this kid has not had a good offseason. During senior bowl week he struggled to catch passes and his workout regime has come into question as well as his weight gain would indicate.

Remember, until the Giants came along, the NFL snubbed Jake Ballard largely because of his slow 40 time and lack of aparent quickness/speed. Well, Williams showed even less quickness this offseason and worse hands. I mention Jake because of the clear similarities between these 2 coming out. Ballard was thought of as a blocker 1st coming out, just like Williams and they have similar size. However, Jake really stuggles to becaome a good NFL blocking TE precisely because he is so slow off the ball. In the NFL TEs are asked to block the 2nd level of the defense(LBs) far more often than in college. Ballard struggled anytime we asked him to block a LB or seal the edge on an outside run. This happened because he just wasnt quick enough off the ball to get to the LB and turn him before the ballcarrier was hitting the hole. I see no reason why Williams isnt going to have the exact same problems because his speed/quickness is even worse than Ballards was coming out.

If he can get on a team and get on a good workout regiment, as well as get his diet under control, I think he has a chance to be a 2nd TE in this league. A guy who comes in on 3rd and 1 and helps move the pile and sometimes sneaks into the endzone behind a backer. But, that is a lot of "ifs".

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I dunno, I do think the Giants will value him more than other teams because we like TEs who can block. But, this kid has not had a good offseason. During senior bowl week he struggled to catch passes and his workout regime has come into question as well as his weight gain would indicate.

Remember, until the Giants came along, the NFL snubbed Jake Ballard largely because of his slow 40 time and lack of aparent quickness/speed. Well, Williams showed even less quickness this offseason and worse hands. I mention Jake because of the clear similarities between these 2 coming out. Ballard was thought of as a blocker 1st coming out, just like Williams and they have similar size. However, Jake really stuggles to becaome a good NFL blocking TE precisely because he is so slow off the ball. In the NFL TEs are asked to block the 2nd level of the defense(LBs) far more often than in college. Ballard struggled anytime we asked him to block a LB or seal the edge on an outside run. This happened because he just wasnt quick enough off the ball to get to the LB and turn him before the ballcarrier was hitting the hole. I see no reason why Williams isnt going to have the exact same problems because his speed/quickness is even worse than Ballards was coming out.

If he can get on a team and get on a good workout regiment, as well as get his diet under control, I think he has a chance to be a 2nd TE in this league. A guy who comes in on 3rd and 1 and helps move the pile and sometimes sneaks into the endzone behind a backer. But, that is a lot of "ifs".
    Has not had a good season? He's a blocking TE (like all TEs at Alabama pretty much) and he absolutely lit everyone up he got his hands on all year. Alabama had 2 RBs get over a 1000 yards and one was a true freshman. I haven't seen any questions about his workout regime but he did look heavier at his pro day. He's not the greatest receiving TE (serviceable) but to say he had a bad season is not accurate IMO. His role on that offense is to block.
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    Has not had a good season? He's a blocking TE (like all TEs at Alabama pretty much) and he absolutely lit everyone up he got his hands on all year. Alabama had 2 RBs get over a 1000 yards and one was a true freshman. I haven't seen any questions about his workout regime but he did look heavier at his pro day. He's not the greatest receiving TE (serviceable) but to say he had a bad season is not accurate IMO. His role on that offense is to block.
    I said has not had a good OFFSEASON

And he hasnt. He did horribly during the senior bowl practice wek dropping numbers passes both in coverage and in simple QB reciever drills.

He gained 10 lbs between the senior bowl and his pro day to come in at 278. Thats 10 lbs he should have lost, not gained.

And finally, he ran a 5.4 40 at his pro day. That would make him the slowest TE in the league BY FAR. But he didnt stop there he reportedly looked even worse in the agility drills.

I know the guy was a good blocker, and he will likely get his chance in the league to make it with some team as a blocker. But, that about all he will be unless he starts taking his workouts a lil more serious. He is slower than most tackles and he barely beat Chance Warmack.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Dion Sims from Michigan State is a similar player
    This is what i've said numerous times on here.. Dion Sims is a spitting image of Martellus Bennett... The funny part is both have athletic abilty despite being big guys and both lack the desired motor , and both u wonder if they'll show up wk to wk.. There litteraly the same prospect.. Its freaky...

+ Reply to Thread