+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kruunch's Quasi-Post FA Mock

Cool Kruunch's Quasi-Post FA Mock

1) Alex Okafor (DE) - With the signing of Cullen Jenkins, the Giants go back to their bread and butter, the DE position. While the Giants would love to have Ansah, he's gone by this pick. Moore and Jones don't satisfy (low motors and/or inconsistent) and Werner I think goes higher despite his falling stock. Conversely, Okafor's stock didn't rise as high as it might have due to not being able to workout fully at the Combine and presents the best LDE replacement for Tuck in the draft after Werner.

2) Arthur Brown (LB) - Arthur Brown's stock doesn't rise much past where's it's been due to lack of highlight films but he's probably the most solid all-around LBer in the draft. Able to play any of the LBer positions, he translates well as our MLB of the future (something Khaseem Greene does not). I think the workout with Khaseem Greene is a smoke screen and only tips off where the Giants are targeting their LBer pick this year.

3) Darius Slay (CB) - While the Giants desperately need OL help (especially an answer at RT), they aren't thrilled with what falls to them at this point and prepare for CWeb's departure next year in solidifying the secondary. Slay is what the Giants look for in a CB in terms of size and speed and he slips slightly in the 3rd round due to lack of starting experience, making him a value pick.

4) Oday Aboushi (OT) - The Giants, yet again, wait until the 4th round for their potential answer at RT in Aboushi, Too rough and aggressive as an LT prospect, that attitude and his size serve him extremely well as a RT prospect. Big ole mean guy!

5) Bernie Logan (DT) - Otherwise known as meat. The Jenkins signing buys the Giants a year or two at the DT position but needs must at depth.

6) Ty Powell (LB) - Adding to our LBer corps, Powell has ideal size (6'2, 245), speed (4.65 40) and strength (28 reps). Very rough around the edges, he's a diamond in the rough.

7) Denard Robinson (WR) - Percy Harvin type minus the head aches, this is the kind of 7th round pick that excites Reese.

There's a bleacher report mock for us that is almost this exact mock. Except it had Oday and Denard one round earlier. My next could have this exact first 3 if I thought there was a chance of getting Slay that late.
    Last edited by BlueSabbath; 03-18-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

I believe it'll be between Ogletree or Okafor. likely Okafor. Then Greene in the second, i'm not crazy about Brown..Greene has much more production and just as athletic. Greene is also better at ripping the ball out creating turnovers, the big hits, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    I believe it'll be between Ogletree or Okafor. likely Okafor. Then Greene in the second, i'm not crazy about Brown..Greene has much more production and just as athletic. Greene is also better at ripping the ball out creating turnovers, the big hits, etc.
    The reasons I don't think it will be Greene (or Ogletree for that matter):

1) Greene can't stack and shed. Once he gets locked up by a blocker he's out of the play. That means he projects, at best, as a WILL (and he will be a very good WILL imo).

2) We have our starter and depth at the WILL position and they're both young (JWill and Paysinger) which would make drafting Greene redundant.

3) Arthur Brown can play all of the LBer positions which means he can play the MIKE in our base defense and swap to the SAM in our Nickel package.

Same arguments can be made for Ogletree (Greene is seen as a slightly smaller version of Ogletree).

I do agree that Greene has better highlights, but if you watch the plays in between, you start to see where their (Greene vs. Brown) games divurge and who is the more complete LBer (which we need desperately right now).

Damontre Moore and Datone Jones have low motors? I haven't seen anything on tape ONCE that would backup that statement for both players. If anything, Jones has a very high motor but he does have trouble over pursuing in the backfield at times and his pad level is an issue. He also doesn't have the best flexibility to rush from the edge but he has a very nice power to speed transition to get inside of an OT. Moore does seem to have an inconsistent first step but the fact he looks so much better on tape as a 3-4 OLB in the 2011 season tells me that an eyeball test on him might not be fair.

You talk about inconsistency but Jones and Moore actually have more consistent production when it comes to tackles over Okafor. He also doesn't offer the versatility that Jones or Moore can give to a team when it comes to lining these players up so that's another thing to consider.
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    Damontre Moore and Datone Jones have low motors? I haven't seen anything on tape ONCE that would backup that statement for both players. If anything, Jones has a very high motor but he does have trouble over pursuing in the backfield at times and his pad level is an issue. He also doesn't have the best flexibility to rush from the edge but he has a very nice power to speed transition to get inside of an OT. Moore does seem to have an inconsistent first step but the fact he looks so much better on tape as a 3-4 OLB in the 2011 season tells me that an eyeball test on him might not be fair.

You talk about inconsistency but Jones and Moore actually have more consistent production when it comes to tackles over Okafor. He also doesn't offer the versatility that Jones or Moore can give to a team when it comes to lining these players up so that's another thing to consider.
    "and/or" inconsistent
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    "and/or" inconsistent
    I still want to know where Kruunch saw this on the tape. Those labels aren't true for either player.
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

I don't see Bennie Logan falling all the way to the 5th round personally... I have him as 3rd round in my own draft.

That said, I love the Okafor pick (and have picked so myself).

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post

Datone Jones: He's sort of the flip side of the coin of JPP. Where JPP can slide inside or out and excel, Jones can do both but excels at neither. His pad level is too inconsistent on the inside (gets blown off the ball at the point of attack) and he lacks the pass rush on the edge to warrant a first round pick (imo). He'd make a serviceable LDE in a 4-3 defense, but I want more than "serviceable" out of my #1 pick. I happen to think he translates better as a 3-4 DE, where his size can be utilized better (although the same concerns abound).

Damontre Moore: He's the slow motor guy. Takes plays off. Needs more size to anchor the end in a 4-3. Much better attacking while standing up (i.e. 3-4 OLB). Oh and 12 reps on the bench (ewwwwww!) ... strength issues.

Okafor: Excels at all of the above and does it consistently better than the above two (with the possible exception of playing from a 3-4 OLB position). Sets the edge (something we desperately need in our LDE) and has a strong and consistent pass rush. Also has a non-stop motor and never takes a play off. The only reason (imo) that he's not rated higher then Jones or Moore was his limited participation in the Combine.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadofsteel View Post
    I don't see Bennie Logan falling all the way to the 5th round personally... I have him as 3rd round in my own draft.

That said, I love the Okafor pick (and have picked so myself).
    Possibly ... I tend to have more leeway after the third round (and I highly doubt BL goes in the third round but that's just me).

+ Reply to Thread