+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Veteran

Just got into a huge debate with a co-worker about RG3

He is a huge Skins fan and says that RG3 will light it up this coming year. My argument to him was that after this bad knee injury he wont be as mobile or a huge threat to run anymore. The defenses around the league will be able to defend him a lot better knowing he can't run or won't be allowed to run as much. His argument was that RG3 has the arm and pocket presence to repeat what he did last year and put up even bigger numbers, in other words he believer RG3 will dominate as a pocket passer.

I know RG3 is not a Vick type player but am I wrong in thinking he won't be effective as a pocket passer as we was with the option play? I know the kid has a good arm but there is a lot more to being a successful QB year in and year out then having a good arm. Not saying he will be rex grossman but i doubt he will have a season like he did last year.

thoughts?

If RG3 is to re-establish himself as a pocket passer he would have to be developed into one by the coaches. I've been saying this all along. He could be really dangerous as a passer. I just don't think his coaches are patient enough to take a few seasons of development. They want results fast and because of that he'll continue to run and put himself more in harm's way.

Quote Originally Posted by nygpolishpunk View Post
    If RG3 is to re-establish himself as a pocket passer he would have to be developed into one by the coaches. I've been saying this all along. He could be really dangerous as a passer. I just don't think his coaches are patient enough to take a few seasons of development. They want results fast and because of that he'll continue to run and put himself more in harm's way.
    washington for all intent and purpose, has gone out of their way to ruin this kid. first, they dont try installing a pro nfl offense in any way. the qb has 1 read on every play, run or pass. on run plays, his read is the DE's. On pass plays, his 1 read is the designed target and if hes covered, run.
    then, they play him when he suffers a legit knee injury, and he reinjures it way worse...to the point rg3s surgeon said he had nightmares about washington playing him and how he actually never even cleared him and how any type of re injury could mean the end of his career...

that knee isnt only pivotal to rg3 running, but its also the plant and power leg in his throwing motion. washington SHOULD revert to a pro offense predicated on the qb going thru his progressions in the pocket. thing is, can rg3 even do that? shannahan wasnt even sold on rg3 at the time of that draft, maybe bc of that question mark about his game. the thing is, if they ar gonna go to a more pocket passing offense, rg3 is gonna struggle...a lot. hes gnna have to go thru the growing pains and mistakes that honestly he should have started working on his first offseason/season.

washington somehow managed to turn a sure thing like rg3 into a serious serious question mark.

RG3 is in a tough situation. If he choses to play like he did last season, he could put up huge numbers, but more than likely his career will be very short. If he turns himself into a true pocket passer, he could still be good, but it takes away the one thing that makes him dynamic. Chose your poison.

Quote Originally Posted by darrin99 View Post
    RG3 is in a tough situation. If he choses to play like he did last season, he could put up huge numbers, but more than likely his career will be very short. If he turns himself into a true pocket passer, he could still be good, but it takes away the one thing that makes him dynamic. Chose your poison.
    If Shanahan was smart about this he'd try to drill it into RG3's head that he should re-apply his mobility to help his passing game. Teach him to slide and only run if there's absolutely no other option. That way he'd still be dynamic but still a passer. All of that takes time. They'd have to invest at least another season or two teaching him that style of play. It just won't happen.

I agree with you 150 percent. Even without the injury I don't think he would have the type season he had last year. History says he won't. Look at a the other QBs that had break out yrs their first season only to be figured out in their second season by defenses and have bad yrs. I'm speaking of Cam Newton and Vince Young... Even Vick for the most part was figured out and started to take a pounding after while...
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Quote Originally Posted by miked1958 View Post
    I agree with you 150 percent. Even without the injury I don't think he would have the type season he had last year. History says he won't. Look at a the other QBs that had break out yrs their first season only to be figured out in their second season by defenses and have bad yrs. I'm speaking of Cam Newton and Vince Young... Even Vick for the most part was figured out and started to take a pounding after while...
    Vince Young's biggest problem was his head and heart, but that's a whole other story.

Bob is going to be RG1.5 if he keeps it up.

He has to learn to be a pure pocket passer if your co-worker thinks he's going to put up monster numbers, even better than last year.
    Meaning, he's going to have to learn a pro-style offense.
    Finalized divorce from Victor Michael Walker Cruz November 23rd, 2014. 9:16 PM.

Call it "sophomore blues" or beginners luck.....but it does happen to some QB's who had a rookie breakout year, only to fizzle in their second year. Cam Newton is a prime example. Not to say that will happen to R2D2....but it might. Regardless, the way the Giants were the first team a couple years ago to spy Vick (Rolle never left the front line), and show the rest of the league how to stop him, I do not think the boy wonder will have the same success in 2013. #1 his knee might not be 100%, and that could put him in a dangerously career-ending predicament. Not to say his knee isn't fine, but it is a variable. #2 we don't know how successful he will be as a pocket passer yet (with him and his coaches knowing he can't or they won't allow him to run as he did last year).

Should be a very interesting 2013 for all teams....lots of free agent goings on around the nation.
    I miss Red Hook