+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got into a huge debate with a co-worker about RG3

Call it "sophomore blues" or beginners luck.....but it does happen to some QB's who had a rookie breakout year, only to fizzle in their second year. Cam Newton is a prime example. Not to say that will happen to R2D2....but it might. Regardless, the way the Giants were the first team a couple years ago to spy Vick (Rolle never left the front line), and show the rest of the league how to stop him, I do not think the boy wonder will have the same success in 2013. #1 his knee might not be 100%, and that could put him in a dangerously career-ending predicament. Not to say his knee isn't fine, but it is a variable. #2 we don't know how successful he will be as a pocket passer yet (with him and his coaches knowing he can't or they won't allow him to run as he did last year).

Should be a very interesting 2013 for all teams....lots of free agent goings on around the nation.
    I miss Red Hook!

I think Shanahan borderline ruined RG3s career and the only way he'll have a really good season is if he's a freak like Peterson. The game will be tougher if he has to stay in the pocket.

I'll tell you what, he'll be a steal in most fantasy drafts in the later rounds. I'd take a chance on him.

Quote Originally Posted by nygpolishpunk View Post
    If RG3 is to re-establish himself as a pocket passer he would have to be developed into one by the coaches. I've been saying this all along. He could be really dangerous as a passer. I just don't think his coaches are patient enough to take a few seasons of development. They want results fast and because of that he'll continue to run and put himself more in harm's way.
    washington for all intent and purpose, has gone out of their way to ruin this kid. first, they dont try installing a pro nfl offense in any way. the qb has 1 read on every play, run or pass. on run plays, his read is the DE's. On pass plays, his 1 read is the designed target and if hes covered, run.
    then, they play him when he suffers a legit knee injury, and he reinjures it way worse...to the point rg3s surgeon said he had nightmares about washington playing him and how he actually never even cleared him and how any type of re injury could mean the end of his career...

that knee isnt only pivotal to rg3 running, but its also the plant and power leg in his throwing motion. washington SHOULD revert to a pro offense predicated on the qb going thru his progressions in the pocket. thing is, can rg3 even do that? shannahan wasnt even sold on rg3 at the time of that draft, maybe bc of that question mark about his game. the thing is, if they ar gonna go to a more pocket passing offense, rg3 is gonna struggle...a lot. hes gnna have to go thru the growing pains and mistakes that honestly he should have started working on his first offseason/season.

washington somehow managed to turn a sure thing like rg3 into a serious serious question mark.

Veteran
    I think he heals up fine. Kid is going to be a top 5 QB soon, unfortunately for us.

I see no reason why he shoudlnt be the same QB as he was lat season. I see the Skins limiting his running but he will still run you can bet on that.
    It will be more of opposing Ds getting used to the option and playing better more than anything else.
    I also believe he will be an effective pocket passer. The kid has huge upside whether running or not IMO.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch

also, i doubt hes even ready by opening week. iirc, his rehab process takes him right up to that final week of preseason so it could be close...so thats an offseason he coulda learned or started the learning process on being a true pocket passer that is wasted...Cousins showed he could have a bright future. would be so interesting if he progresses and shows he can run an actual nfl offense while rg3 has to learn to do so...

Veteran
    Thanks for all the replies! so i guess i wasn't completely wrong in the debate, he kept laughing at me when i told him that his ability to run is a big part of his success and without that it will be tougher to throw and be successful. The debate will continue until the season starts lol

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    I see no reason why he shoudlnt be the same QB as he was lat season. I see the Skins limiting his running but he will still run you can bet on that.
    It will be more of opposing Ds getting used to the option and playing better more than anything else.
    I also believe he will be an effective pocket passer. The kid has huge upside whether running or not IMO.
    I agree, guy looked solid in the pocket to me and a nightmare on the read option.

I think that the trouble for RGIII is gonna come on read option plays, and it's not really the ones where he runs that are gonna catch up with him.
    Like it or not, some players are gonna level him after he hands off to Morris (who should have been ROY), and he's gonna take a beating without ever carrying the ball.
    This space for rent

Quote Originally Posted by flashnando View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! so i guess i wasn't completely wrong in the debate, he kept laughing at me when i told him that his ability to run is a big part of his success and without that it will be tougher to throw and be successful. The debate will continue until the season starts lol
    If he truly believes that RG3's ability to run doesn't contribute to what makes him special, then he's clueless and there's no sense debating him.

+ Reply to Thread