+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Brown's Pro Day

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    did you think Wilson would be the pick last year??... but he filled a need
    Was there a probability consensus on the boards? No.

But there were a few mocks around here with a RB chosen in the first and a big debate between Doug Martin and David Wilson (I remember me and Morehead discussing their differences and merits quite a bit). Morehead was the only person I know of that actually championed David Wilson if we were go take a RB in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    he may be, but he is too small to play ILB at the NFL level,,yeah he is 6'1 and 236 pounds, but he looks like a shrimp standing next to a guy like patrick willis, hell, he doesnt look much bigger than colin klein in a picture I saw of the two,,he does not carry the weight well at all and he doesn't have much room for growth,,I like him a lot,,just not in the middle.
    London Fletcher would like a word with you.

(and that's what Brown reminds me of)

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    I probably watched both players more then you, doofus... I'm just not stupid enough to ignore the most obvious things so i can focus on a meaningless 40time or something.. Even if u wanna bring that up, Greene did just fine at his proday as well, and is much more of a playmaker then Brown is, and thats what we need.. We need a LB that can be a gamechanger...

Greene added 10lbs for his proday and still shaved time off his combine 40, thats how stupid it is to get all caught up in that stuff.. Damontre Moore lifted the bench 5more times at his proday only a week after the combine.. Ya, that combine bench press that had many annoyed really was a big deal, ey??lol Give me a break! It dosen't take rocket scientist to see why Greene for the most part has been rigth there with Brown, and ranked ahead of Brown by alot of people to this point...
    Problem with Greene ... since he can't shed a block he projects more as a WILL backer in the NFL. Not a position that the Giants need.

Brown can play all three LBer positions.

Nuff said.

P.S. - Obviously both are good ... it's just a matter of which is better for the Giants in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Problem with Greene ... since he can't shed a block he projects more as a WILL backer in the NFL. Not a position that the Giants need.

Brown can play all three LBer positions.

Nuff said.

P.S. - Obviously both are good ... it's just a matter of which is better for the Giants in the near future.
    He can shed blcoks, its just not a strengths of his, and he plays physical brand of football, is a excellent run defeder, has speed, weighs 240lbs and cut his 40time to 4.61 at that weight, and is about as instinctive there is a LB in this draft.. His whole not being able to shed blocks is so overblown on here.. it might not be a strength, but its no weakness made out to be on here.... This guys a all around stud, and i'd rather have the better player then the more versatile one.. Versatility is a great trait, if ur better at any one of the positons then Greene is at WLB, which i don't think Brown is..

9months of playing LB after switching from Safety, Greene was putting up 140tackles , 3.5sacks, 14.5tfl.. Not bad ey? First yr playing LB after the switch, he wins Co- Big East Defensive player of the yr.. This guy straigt up explosdes toward the ball, and has great athletic ability and speed, just like brown, except he produces much more and has much better instincts in my opinion..

I woulden't mind Brown though, but i just don't like watching Greene get knocked around here by Slip , because Greene is a fantastic LB prospect...

Agreed.. The only LB i feel would represent the right value of pure LB positon at pick 19 would be Ogletree based on his level of play all ready and his upside.. Arthur Brown and Khaseem Greene both do not belong in RD1...
    I really have a tough time watching the players draft value chart and seeing the Giants going after a LB in the 1st. Lots of other needs around the team and at 19 the value still is very high, talent all around. I have a strong feeling that someone will slip all the way to Reese's lap and the temptation will be just to much to pass over.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

He can shed blcoks, its just not a strengths of his, and he plays physical brand of football, is a excellent run defeder, has speed, weighs 240lbs and cut his 40time to 4.61 at that weight, and is about as instinctive there is a LB in this draft.. His whole not being able to shed blocks is so overblown on here.. it might not be a strength, but its no weakness made out to be on here.... This guys a all around stud, and i'd rather have the better player then the more versatile one.. Versatility is a great trait, if ur better at any one of the positons then Greene is at WLB, which i don't think Brown is..

9months of playing LB after switching from Safety, Greene was putting up 140tackles , 3.5sacks, 14.5tfl.. Not bad ey? First yr playing LB after the switch, he wins Co- Big East Defensive player of the yr.. This guy straigt up explosdes toward the ball, and has great athletic ability and speed, just like brown, except he produces much more and has much better instincts in my opinion..

I woulden't mind Brown though, but i just don't like watching Greene get knocked around here by Slip , because Greene is a fantastic LB prospect...

Ok let's first understand that we're talking about degrees here. At this level, neither Brown nor Greene is particularly *bad* at an aspect of their game. If they were, they wouldn't be as highly valued as they are.

Here is a video on Greene against Syracuse (Oct 2012). I like this tape because it shows both the best (Int, 2 FF, sack) and worse (missed tackles) against comparable competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2n2iXjoUms

0:47 - Leaves his feet to make a lunging tackle (and to avoid a block) and totally whiffs.
    3:03 - Totally taken out of the play on a goal line stand.
    3:15 - Taken out of the play across the ball carrier (from one side to another).
    3:53 - Misses an arm tackle after being engaged.

Now none of these means he's bad and that's not what you should be thinking I'm pointing out here. Just that he has technique issues with blockers. Any time he gets engaged, his technique becomes sloppy. That's certainly a coachable issue and he is an extreme play maker (great strip move, and total ball awareness at all times).

Conversely, Brown doesn't have these issues, but he also doesn't have the flashy upside. He's not a ball hawk (past making the tackle) and he's not the kind of guy who is going to throw up 2 FF, 1 Int and 1 sack a game. In some eyes. that makes Greene the no-brainer.

However what Brown will give you (prospected) is the ability to cover all of the LBer spots and excel at each, with emphasis on his sure tackling. If my goal as the Giant personnel guys is to find a guy who makes our run defense better, without giving up coverage ability in our Tampa 2 look, Brown is the guy that seems to fit that best. Better than Ogletree (shedding block issues), Teo (not great in coverage or when isolated), Greene (see Ogletree but smaller) or Minter (worse coverage skills than Teo).

That's why I champion Brown over Greene (even though I think Greene would make a better WILL backer then what we have currently).

That make sense?

P.S. - There isn't a single play where he successfully sheds a block in that game. Just an FYI.
    Last edited by Kruunch; 03-19-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Greene is not a physical player at all when it comes to taking on blockers.

A physical hitter yes. But those are very different things.

Brown is very physical with blockers and stacking and shedding

Teo/minter are similar to Brown in that regard.

Ogletree and Greene are not in the same category.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Greene is not a physical player at all when it comes to taking on blockers.

A physical hitter yes. But those are very different things.

Brown is very physical with blockers and stacking and shedding

Teo/minter are similar to Brown in that regard.

Ogletree and Greene are not in the same category.
    Also (for others) please make a note of "stacking". It's often overlooked but that's the difference between being stopped at the line of scrimmage and being tackled after a five yard gain. And the single largest reason our run defense was so poor this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    Source: TFY Draft Insider
    kids an athletic freak still at 236lbs he is in no way a MLB in the NFL. Hes a OLB.

Pine Barrens, NJ.. where we still hunt dinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantPride13 View Post
    kids an athletic freak still at 236lbs he is in no way a MLB in the NFL. Hes a OLB.
    C'mon man.. ridiculous statement and you have no idea what you'ra talking about. Im guessing he may have shed a little weight to prep for drills at Pro Day (I dont care if he didnt), even still, I think we'd all agree Patrick Willis is the best Mike in the NFL. He is the same height as Brown and only has him by about 3 to 6 lbs (depending on your source). Other top MLB in the league:
    Jon Beason- 6'0'' 237 lbs
    Ray Lewis- 6'1'' 240 lbs
    Jon Vilma- 6'1'' 230 lbs

"Behold, the tailgate party. The pinnacle of human achievement. Since the dawn of parking lots, man has sought to fill his gut with food and alcohol in anticipation of watching others exercise."
    - Homer J. Simpson

+ Reply to Thread