+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Datone Jones? Bleacher Report article

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    This was my thinking, but in the scenario you mention, we stunted and blitzed a ton under Spags.

    Fewell does neither ... hence why I don't think Jones would do well in our current defense.

    It's my personal belief that the writing is on the wall for Tuck, and they try to replace him. They're already talking about swapping JPP and Tuck which doesn't make a lot of sense since Tuck isn't a speed rusher. The only speed rusher expected to be around in the first round is Damontre Moore who wouldn't be a bad choice, but I worry about his size (that and he doesn't have the freaky leverage of someone like an Elvis Dumerville). Moore is a little more intriguing since he's played both sides.

    I think the Giants may find it easier to keep JPP on the weak side and replace Tuck with a Werner (if he drops) or Okafor. I'd love to see JPP slim down a little to get his step back (I think they overshot with him in that regard).
    Moving Tuck to RE is very puzzling . I think JPP belongs on the left side so this move long term makes sense as far as he is concerned. To me I think the Giants are planning on getting a weakside DE in this draft and will begin fazing Tuck out. I think the Giants are are getting this roster ready for a changng of the guard in 2014

  2. #22
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    31,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    You're insane.

    Tuck was 20 lbs lighter and twice the athlete that Jones was coming out of college. Tuck only played the edge in college (he wasn't moved inside until Spags did it with the Nascar package) and he was an elite pass rush specialist.

    That doesn't describe Jones in the least.
    Ya, i'm talking the player that Tuck became obviously.. WHo cares what Tuck was back in 2002? This guy compares identically to what Tuck became for us.. If u want a versatile DE, who can line up at DT on pass downs, and exceles against the run, and has big strength, then Datone Jones is ur guy.. I'll say tuck is alittle bit better pass rusher, but they are very similar players.. Even at Notre Dame, the announcers used to always comment on Tucks strength, and his ability against the run...

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Carradine is a monster! He didn't benefit from Werner, he is just good.. That reminds me of people saying "kawaan Short wa s only good because fo Ryan Kerrigan"..etc And yet 2yrs after, Shorts done nothing but excel without Kerrigan.. Carradine has light feet, and flexebility around the edge, and is quick in pursuit, and uses his long limbs and active hands very well.. Hes a reliable open field tackler, again using his long arms to wrap up, is a extremely hungry player, whos effort is never gonna be a issue, and he can straight rip and tear away from blocks.. THis guys a flat out beast! If he did that because of Werner, imagine what he'll do because of JPP on the other side?
    Oh look, you disagree with me completely ... shocker.

    I never said he wasn't good ... just that he wouldn't excite me for the Giants. Why? Well, let's see ...

    1) He's coming off an ACL and most likely will start the season on the PUP list (and please don't bring up Adrian Petersen if you ever want me to respond to you again).

    2) He has yet to prove that he is the man by himself (ala your Kawann Short comparison)

    3) He isn't a consistent elite pass rusher (yes I know how many sacks he had ... but few of those were off of initial burst) and if we're drafting a weak side pass rusher, that's what I'd want.

    Having said all that, you make a great point about him being opposite JPP.

    A point I also made a couple of posts prior.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Ya, i'm talking the player that Tuck became obviously.. WHo cares what Tuck was back in 2002? This guy compares identically to what Tuck became for us.. If u want a versatile DE, who can line up at DT on pass downs, and exceles against the run, and has big strength, then Datone Jones is ur guy.. I'll say tuck is alittle bit better pass rusher, but they are very similar players.. Even at Notre Dame, the announcers used to always comment on Tucks strength, and his ability against the run...
    You mean the Tuck of 2012 who couldn't register a sack or a tackle to save his life?

    I think Redeye's analysis on Jones is a bit more on the mark (at least it makes the most sense to me from what I've seen).
    Last edited by Kruunch; 03-20-2013 at 10:54 AM.

  5. #25
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    31,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Moving Tuck to RE is very puzzling . I think JPP belongs on the left side so this move long term makes sense as far as he is concerned. To me I think the Giants are planning on getting a weakside DE in this draft and will begin fazing Tuck out. I think the Giants are are getting this roster ready for a changng of the guard in 2014
    Tuck is in his last yr with the giants, almost a gurantee...

  6. #26
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    31,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    You mean the Tuck of 2012 who couldn't register a sack or a tackle to save his life?
    No, i mean the tuck that should of Won MVP of super bowl(1st one against pats)

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Moving Tuck to RE is very puzzling . I think JPP belongs on the left side so this move long term makes sense as far as he is concerned. To me I think the Giants are planning on getting a weakside DE in this draft and will begin fazing Tuck out. I think the Giants are are getting this roster ready for a changng of the guard in 2014
    That's what I think as well.

    To that end I could see us drafting Damontre Moore or Tank Carradine or similar. I'm just not super excited about the RDE prospects coming out this year.

    I'm much more excited about the strong side DEs which is why I hope they draft that way and keep JPP on the weak side backed up by Ojomo.
    Last edited by Kruunch; 03-20-2013 at 10:59 AM.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    No, i mean the tuck that should of Won MVP of super bowl(1st one against pats)
    I don't see Jones ever being that guy (or even used in that capacity).

  9. #29
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    31,100
    Tucks never been a elite pass rusher, period.. His career high is 12sacks for godsake.. Its his ability to stop the run and force fumbles(18in his career), that i'll remember first an foremost.. Hes only had double digit sacks 3times in his career.. And those 3yrs , were between 10-12 sacks... I could see Datone Jones being a very simlar player, which is good to have when u have a elite pass rusher on the other side, like Tuck always did with Strahan and OSI, and Jones would have with JPP...

  10. #30
    All-Pro nycsportzfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Posts
    31,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I don't see Jones ever being that guy (or even used in that capacity).
    I do..

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts