+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    They better not move JPP.. I think thats silly.. Especially when u got guys like Datone Jones, Okafor, and Carradine.. Why not just try and fill Tucks spot, and leave JPP alone?
    OMG we agree on something

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    He's not going to be as bad on the edge as it is made out to be. If you're expecting a ton of sacks from him, you have the wrong expectations. He was the only DE at the Senior Bowl to give Eric Fisher (an extremely gifted and athletic LT/RT prospect mind you) consistent trouble in the practices. People are acting like he won't generate ANY pressure on the edge at all lol. None of this even takes into consideration his character and work ethic. He lights up when talking about guys like Michael Strahan and JJ Watt. He said he is trying to perfect some of the moves Strahan used in his career which I think is cool.
    I doubt Jones would much, if ever provide pressure from the edge. Hence my lack of love for him.

The kid definitely is upbeat and has a great work ethic. Love that about him.

Quote Originally Posted by TCHOF View Post
    Is there any word on Tank's recovery from his knee injury?

The problem with him could be that it's too early to take him at 19, and he might not be there for us in the second round.
    I'd be kind of surprised if he wasn't there for us in the second.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    U just got done talking about Tucks pass rush skills like 2posts ago, bringing up his ND numbers , and now ur making excuses to why he dosen't get sacks??lol No kidding, SDE's don't pile up sacks, thats becasue thats not what he excels at, just as Jones don't excel at it.. How can u not see these obvious similarities? 90pct of Tucks sacks come off overpowering blockers, and pushing em in the backfield, using his strength.. Datone Jones is gonna get some sacks using the same method, as thats what he excels at... Tuck and Jones both excel vs the run, both will get some sacks by overpowering lineman , and will force a ton of fumbles becaue of there strength and physicality..

Reese has all ready said he wants to get more physical on defense, guys like Datone Jones fits exactly into that..
    Tuck's NFL sack numbers was what I was talking about.

LDE's generally don't see his kind of production (hence my mirth at the comparisons between him and Jones).

Yeah that is an odd comparison to say the least. Datone can be compared to many guys depending on how you envision him playing in your defense. You're getting a Justin Tuck sort of player if you put him in this defense and although Tuck is a more natural edge rusher, Jones seems to have a great amount of endurance and an excellent motor despite multiple snaps against double teams when he was in UCLA. Pretty much what I'm saying is that he can be a flat out monster on the inside with his combination of strength and speed.

I've heard the potential Geno Atkins comparisons when you think of using him at 3 Tech but a more appropriate one would be Henry Melton imo. Melton came into the league initially as a DE but they had him shoot up to 295 so he could slip inside and exploit guards. Either way you look at it, he's not going to be your main pass rusher but he does offer a defense like ours solid run stopping ability on the edge and then he can wreck havoc on the middle of the pocket to open up things for other players. His impact would be felt off the stat sheet but JPP could really use a player like that to get free.
    I was trying to think of a good comparison to who Jones looks like (besides Kevin Boothe lol) and I think you hit it on the head with Melton ... at least in style of play.

Datone Jones has a really odd proportion to him being that bottom heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    OMG we agree on something
    I'm really divided on how the coaches have had JPP gain the amount of weight he did. He still generates good pressure and can stop the run like no tomorrow but he doesn't look as explosive as he did in 11. I think he just needs a better sidekick across from him at LDE.
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Moving Tuck to RE is very puzzling . I think JPP belongs on the left side so this move long term makes sense as far as he is concerned. To me I think the Giants are planning on getting a weakside DE in this draft and will begin fazing Tuck out. I think the Giants are are getting this roster ready for a changng of the guard in 2014
    I'd like to see them keep JPP on the right side and slim him down a bit. I think the bulk he gained to be able to play inside occasionally has made him lose a step (specifically this year).

I'm really divided on how the coaches have had JPP gain the amount of weight he did. He still generates good pressure and can stop the run like no tomorrow but he doesn't look as explosive as he did in 11. I think he just needs a better sidekick across from him at LDE.
    I entirely agree .... I think he put on a little too much weight for the speed rusher he used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I doubt Jones would much, if ever provide pressure from the edge. Hence my lack of love for him.

The kid definitely is upbeat and has a great work ethic. Love that about him.
    Well, you do know DEs can beat OTs with more than just speed around the corner, right? Tuck actually generates more of his pressure it seems from getting inside and across an OT instead of just flat out turning a corner like Osi. He will be a fit for the more lanky types at RT like a Fisher or when Nate Solder played some RT.

The only problem is that his potential might never come to fruition if the DC doesn't know when to match him up in the appropriate situations. It could be the difference between a decent career to a great one.
    3/25/14 - Updated Mock with 5th round comp pick

1. Anthony Barr, Defensive End, UCLA
    2. Marcus Martin, Center Guard, USC
    3. Anthony Johnson, Defensive Nostril Tackle, LSU
    4. Marcel Jensen, Offensive End, Fresno State
    5. Wesley Johnson, Offensive Any Guard, Vanderbilt
    5. Aaron Colvin, Defensive Halfback, Oklahoma
    6. Storm Johnson, Guy Who Runs With Football, UCF

Well, you do know DEs can beat OTs with more than just speed around the corner, right? Tuck actually generates more of his pressure it seems from getting inside and across an OT instead of just flat out turning a corner like Osi. He will be a fit for the more lanky types at RT like a Fisher or when Nate Solder played some RT.

The only problem is that his potential might never come to fruition if the DC doesn't know when to match him up in the appropriate situations. It could be the difference between a decent career to a great one.
    No, I never understood that about pass rushers