+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 341
  1. #101
    All-Pro Sundown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    10,779
    Demarco Murray is screwed. That's the only way he runs the rock

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    Get your nose out of a book.

    I played linebacker for 8 years ... leading with your helmet as a running back is a natural inclination. Any running back that charges a crowd does it at some point if not the majority of time.

    Too hard to legislate this rule unless they tell the refs "in only the most obvious and flagrant situations". That's about the only way I could see it not spinning out of control.
    Get your head out of your ***

    RBs lower there shoulder all the time while keeping there heads up. If your argument is about it being unnatural, the game is built around your body being in unnatural positions. Being a LB you might not have been in many 3 pt stances. But the 3 pt stance is one of the most unnatural positions for your body to be in.

    Your argument in all regards is bunk. Leading with your crown is MUCH different then having your head low.

  3. #103
    Think about all the great runs Jacobs had

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Makes me not want to watch football. NFL defenders are getting it easy.
    Getting it easy? They have been neutered this is the first rule against the offense

  5. #105
    Moderator YATittle1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Uncle YA
    Posts
    18,668
    Quote Originally Posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
    Get your head out of your ***

    RBs lower there shoulder all the time while keeping there heads up. If your argument is about it being unnatural, the game is built around your body being in unnatural positions. Being a LB you might not have been in many 3 pt stances. But the 3 pt stance is one of the most unnatural positions for your body to be in.

    Your argument in all regards is bunk. Leading with your crown is MUCH different then having your head low.
    so I'm running into a crowd and aiming to get an extra yard.....I lower my head and run into the crowd protecting the ball and lowering my shoulders....as I was coached for my whole life .
    not seeing where I am going the crown of my head ...because it is the farthest protruding part of my body ....plows unintentionally into the safetys chin and knocks him back and I gain my extra 3 yards as I intended

    that should be a 15 yd penalty ?

    yr head is in the clouds my friend
    Last edited by YATittle1962; 03-20-2013 at 03:00 PM.

  6. #106
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Think about all the great runs Jacobs had
    Bradshaw too. He used his head like a torpedo

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    wow thats a pretty amazing talent to be able to lower your pad level without lowering your head ....plastic man anyone?

    I played ball at every level....
    even was invited to and participated in an NFL training camp

    and I hate to break it to you coach

    but lowering your pad level for a runner involves lowering his head

    players are coached to lower their pad level and protect the ball in a crouch position upon impact....and guess what...the head is involved

    if you coach runners to lower their pad level and keep their head up you should be stripped of your coaching duties

    and yeah watch those Jacobs highlights.....was his head up?

    was Earl Campbells head up in all those highlights that are cellebrated?

    Mike Alstott?...etc etc .....
    We are taking about the tilting of your head, not about its height. There is no reason to tilt your head down to crown lead just to get pads low.

    Go to any youth football camp run by the NFL and you will see the proper technique that doesn't rely on tilting the head down to lower shoulder pads.

    I see youth kids doing it all the time but pros can't? Not to mention they said the same thing a few years ago with defensive players and they figured it out.

    Players will adapt like they always do.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Good question, and according to what I've read, no.

    The new rule will draw a 15-yard penalty if a runner or a tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players clearly are outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle-to-tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or a tackler against an opponent would not be deemed a foul.
    if its enforced by the letter of the law, this is a great rule imo that actually will decrease a lot of head injuries. basically, from tackle to tackle box, extending from the LOS to the goal line (i may have interpreted end line incorrectly, it may not be goal line), the head to head contact is allowed. its only OUTSIDE the tackle to tackle box that its a foul. kind of like how a QB intentionally grounds within the tackle box and doesnt outside of it as long as it reaches the LOS...not a big deal imo as most all the lowering of the head is done inside the tackle box, i cant recall it done outside by rbs except power backs i guess...

  9. #109
    All-Pro gmen46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    5,782
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    The most likely time this will be an issue will be in short yardage and goal line plays where it doesn't require you see where you are going if you're the runner
    Correct. The rule won't be an issue in these situations because under the rule there will be no violation by the RB within the Tackle box, which is defined for this rule as the area tackle-to-tackle and up to 3 yards beyond the LOS, End-to-End.

    The intent of this rule, as I understand it, is to minimize the number of times a RB in open field situations has a head of steam and clearly lowers his head in order to ram an opponent straight on. Though not mentioned yet in this thread, the rule also applies to defenders who hit a RB with the crown of their helmet, straight on, in the open field. Which is the same as "spearing" really, which of course has been illegal for decades.

    The "crown of the helmet" was fairly narrowly defined by an NFL spokesmen as "imagine a beanie on the top of a helmet".

    "Incidental" contact of helmets and tackles on a RB running sideline-to-sideline will not be violations.

    I know there are some high profile RBs--current and retired--who've spoken negatively about the rule, at first blush. But I find the response from arguably the best RB in NFL history to be interesting and relevant to the issue--

    The moment the NFL’s new proposal to stop running backs from lowering the crown of their helmets at defenders came out, tailbacks immediately criticized the possible change. Matt Forte took to Twitter, calling the thought “absurd” and saying it’s impossible to lower one’s shoulder without the head following.
    But at least one running back, and he’s a big one, disagrees. Hall of Famer Jim Brown is a believer in the new rule, and said it’s entirely possible to abide by it.
    “I didn’t use my head,” Brown said at the NFL meetings in Phoenix. “I used my forearm. The palm of my hand. And my shoulder. And my shoulder pads. I wasn’t putting my head into too much of anything. I don’t think that’s a good idea.”
    “At least it doesn’t sound like a good idea to me if I’m not guaranteed that my head is going to be strong enough to hurt somebody else and not hurt myself,” Brown added.


    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2O71hFD11

  10. #110
    All-Pro dezzzR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    28,682
    Quote Originally Posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
    We are taking about the tilting of your head, not about its height. There is no reason to tilt your head down to crown lead just to get pads low.

    Go to any youth football camp run by the NFL and you will see the proper technique that doesn't rely on tilting the head down to lower shoulder pads.

    I see youth kids doing it all the time but pros can't? Not to mention they said the same thing a few years ago with defensive players and they figured it out.

    Players will adapt like they always do.
    Is your head not connected to your neck or shoulders or something? When you drop your head, you lower your neck and shoulders. This isnt debatable, this is biology

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts