+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Men Surg. View Post
    That was the first image that came running to my mind buddy and I just posted that a minute ago. That indeed is a crying shame.
    He isn't leading with the crown of his helmet. AB is using the side of his helmet and shoulder pad. Awww crap, who am I kidding...this sucks big time!

I got trucked once in high school by a running back lowering his head into mine. I saw stars, but got back up like "eh, its football."

5trive for Fiv5

i dont think ppl have read up on the rule. using ur head or whatever ppl seem to be complaining about, thats still allowed inside the tackle to tackle box. its only OUTSIDE that where leading with the crown intentionally is a penalty. and almost ALWAYS, when ur outside that tackle box area, ur in the open field or like 1 on 1 or 2, i dont see how a pro nfl player couldnt make an adjustment to not lead with the crown in open space, if anything players are using more agility nowadays out in space. its only the rare slow power back who will break this rule, even BJ would start using agility and moves outside the tackle box. that run he had on laron landry years ago, thatd still be legal according to this new rule as the contact occurred inbetween the tackle to tackle area extended to the end line.

Quote Originally Posted by gmenfan0488 View Post
    Running backs can't drop their pad level anymore. They can't lead with the helmets now. All runners need to run straight upright now . ifhey get low at all, it's a penality. Head up, chin up, so many more concussions are going to happen now, more broken jaws, etc. You cannot get down to protect yourself whatsoever because it will be construed as a penalty.
    This is a complete misrepresentation of the rule. You are wrong.

and YA, if a player is engaging a group of defenders as in ur example, it isnt a violation. the rules seem to state that it isnt a penalty when within 3 yrds of the LOS and engaging in a crowd/group...

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    and YA, if a player is engaging a group of defenders as in ur example, it isnt a violation. the rules seem to state that it isnt a penalty when within 3 yrds of the LOS and engaging in a crowd/group...
    more vague ridiculousness that will result in poorly called subjective judgement fouls

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoGoGo View Post
    He isn't leading with the crown of his helmet. AB is using the side of his helmet and shoulder pad.
    Would you expect the officials to be able to differentiate that in real time?

I sure don't.

Quote Originally Posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
    We are taking about the tilting of your head, not about its height. There is no reason to tilt your head down to crown lead just to get pads low.

Go to any youth football camp run by the NFL and you will see the proper technique that doesn't rely on tilting the head down to lower shoulder pads.

I see youth kids doing it all the time but pros can't? Not to mention they said the same thing a few years ago with defensive players and they figured it out.

Players will adapt like they always do.
    so runners will run face first into a defender with his pads low.....ok

talk about putting your neck in danger
    Last edited by YATittle1962; 03-20-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    I don't like this rule from the standpoint of adding another highly subjective judgment on to the Ref's plate.

Imagine a flag calling back an 80 yard TD run because Adrian Petersen lead with his helmet to get in the end zone.
    I can't imagine a scenario in which someone would run 80 yards and still have someone directly in front of them to spear

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post
    so I'm running into a crowd and aiming to get an extra yard.....I lower my head and run into the crowd protecting the ball and lowering my shoulders....as I was coached for my whole life .
    not seeing where I am going the crown of my head ...because it is the farthest protruding part of my body ....plows unintentionally into the safetys chin and knocks him back and I gain my extra 3 yards as I intended

that should be a 15 yd penalty ?

yr head is in the clouds my friend
    This has to have been a concern for everyone.

I think the NFL owes it to us to put up video of the kind of contact that will warrant a flag.

T
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.