To think this play was the catalyst to the new rule is just ridiculous.
Another arcane rule whose only affect will be to to call back big runs and ruin the outcome of games. And to make matters worse...it's not even reviewable which is ludicrous!
God how I long for the good ole days of sports
1) The Richardson play is not blown out of proportion. It has nothing to do with the helmet flying off. It has to do with Trent leading with his crown and putting his own neck in severe jeopardy. He could of very easily broke his own neck.
2) This is not a new rule. It has always been illegal to lead with your crown. Now it is just being enforced. Not to mention only outside the tackle box.
3) Goodell has very little to do with this. He is just the representative for the owners. And competition committee. If you have an issue, blame the owners and CC.
4) If you love this game, you will accept these safety issues. I've watched first hand in the last 10 years that youth football is losing numbers at a staggering pace. Up to 30% less kids are signing up to play. Why is that when the game itself has never been more popular? Because parents don't feel its a safe enough sport and are pushing their kids towards other "safer" sports. If that keeps up another 15 years, the NFL will suffer greatly. Youth football is the backbone of this sport. If we don't get the kids and parents back on our side we could lose this incredible game all together.
5) This board is a breeding ground of misinformation from people who have zero clue what they are talking about. Does anyone actually do their own research before spouting of nonesense?
I guess all the people speaking out about this rule including former NFL players and RB's haven't done their research either huh? They're just talking from nonsense.
Last edited by titwio; 03-21-2013 at 11:08 AM.