+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    ^

Agree again Blue..

I love how people think this is a new rule. This is ALL about using the crown, it has zero to do with getting low.. hips, knees and shoulders low, facemask up.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Huh?

No. the very 1st point of impact is the crown of his helmet contacting the facemask of the defender. Stop the video at 0:31 and tell that that isnt the case.

I will say it again, lowering the crown of your helmet has always been illegal in football. It was just never enforced against offensive players.

Furthermore, for those crying about Goodell or the owners implementing such silly rules, you need to do some research. much of the new rule changes came about from former players and their familiy members suing the league. This was a major point of discussion in the last CBA talks. Retired players argued the NFL has done nothing to make the league safer. So, now the league is responding.

I have been critical of many of the rule changes in recent years as too game changing, particularly for defenses who simply play at too big of a disadvantage now.

The fact is player safety is as much the offensive players responsibility as the defensive players. If a defensive player cannot lower the crown of his helmet for safety purposes, there is no reason a rb should be allowed to. People are making a mountain out of a molehill on this. It isnt a big deal.
    Here it is at :31. While he's lowered his body, his head remains up relative to his spine. Looks to me as if the defender would have done the same exact thing had he had time to set up.

http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Torque it till it breaks, then back off a quarter turn.

^
    Lmao. I hope your kidding. Facemask is not up, he is looking straight at the ground!

Not to mention, take a wild guess what part of the helmet makes contact first? THE CROWN!!

"lowering" yourself isnt illegal. Where are people getting this? You can still do that, you just have to keep your facemask up and looking where you are going.
    this is the funniest part of this argument

stand up and put yourself in that position and tell me you don't feel like a broken neck is in your near future

I played every level of ball.....and every coach on every level used the same two words constantly when talking to running backs....."get small"

those who have played the game know what that means ....it sure doesn't mean....get low and keep your head up....thats called suicide

and "get low" calls for completely different mechanics when talking about linemen as opposed to RBs

"lowering" yourself isnt illegal. Where are people getting this? You can still do that, you just have to keep your facemask up and looking where you are going.

I will say it again, THIS RULE HAS ALWAYS BEEN IN PLACE.

The rule simply prohibits players from lowering the crown of their helmet, something that has ALWAYS been illegal for defenders and is now illegal for offensive players too. BTW, the original implementation of this rule was decades before Goodell ever took the commish job.

I agree with the "dynamic" game argument for a lot of recent rule implementations, most notably the helmet to helmet rule. But, this is a simple rule. If you lower the crown of your helmet as a RB ( ei: look a he ground as you run into a defender) it is a penalty just like it would be for a defender to do that to you..

I have never seen a single thread complaining about the decades old spearing rule that has existed in the NFL. But now that RBs cant spear anymore the complaints are filling the forums.
    Do us a favor a post a picture of a running back with his body lowered while keeping his face up. You make it sound pretty simple while I don't think it is in reality.

Also, has there been one player besides Jim Brown who has come out in favor of this new rule?
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Quote Originally Posted by AGiantDynasty View Post
    ^
    Lmao. I hope your kidding. Facemask is not up, he is looking straight at the ground!

Not to mention, take a wild guess what part of the helmet makes contact first? THE CROWN!!
    I don't think it's physically possible for his eyes to remain parallel the field when his body is in that position, and according to you and BS, lowering your body is not illegal.

Now, if the defender was extremely low on that play, it's very possible the initial contact would have come from his far-head area, and that is a legal play according to what I've read.

What happens when both players lower thier crown (as often happens)? Offsetting penalties, of course! lol.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    What happens when both players lower thier crown (as often happens)? Offsetting penalties, of course! lol.
    Unlike we were taught, low man now loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    Unlike we were taught, low man now loses.
    So now a running back lowers his head and is heading for my chest (no rule against crown to the chest). If he hits me in the chest, I get driven back and look like a fool. If I lower my head, and our heads collide, one of us or both of us are going to be penalized and fined. Maybe they'll cal it on the running back and my team will get the advantage. Maybe they call it on the defender and they'll tack 15 yards onto the play. Do I have that right? Does anyone here believe that the zebras have the mental capacity to make this call?

Lunacy!
    Last edited by jomo; 03-22-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    So now a running back lowers his head and is heading for my chest (no rule against crown to the chest). If he hits me in the chest, I get driven back and look like a fool. If I lower my head, and our heads collide, one of us or both of us are going to be penalized and fined. Maybe they'll cal it on the running back and my team will get the advantage. Maybe they call it on the defender and they'll tack 15 yards onto the play. Do I have that right? Does anyone here believe that the zebras have the mental capacity to make this call?

Lunacy!
    If the RB lowers his head and initiates contact in the designated area it's cool. Outside that area however, he must then learn to play differently or it will be a 15 yard penalty.

What if he puts his head down in the permitted area and continues to run in that manner into the illegal area where then contact occurs?

This is going to be fun.