+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Boothe needs to be locked up

Reports have circulated that the Giants want to restructure the contract of David Diehl, but no agreement has yet been announced.
    According ESPN the Giants are very interested in signing Boothe but have a CAP problem. According to Spotrak the Giants are at $121,359,531
    of the 123 million. Apparently they are talking with Diehl to restructure his contract.

on a related issue this paragraph re Eli restructure from in todays Post quoting John Mara"

ďThatís always an option at some point in time, but heís proven to be worth the amount of salary-cap space thatís been allocated to him,íí Mara said. ďThatís something you could always do at some point to create more room. But again, the more room you create in current years, you have to pay that back at some point in time, and you donít want to put yourself in a position where you are in salary-cap jail and youíre forced to cut an inordinate number of players. Thatís something that may be discussed at some point in the future, but thatís not on our radar right now.Ē

Simply put we are nowhere without a better than Avg OL. I am not saying Boothe is an all pro but he was I think one of the most versatile and at times best of the bunch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Boothe is a solid LG. You can do better and you can do worse. We need $$$ to resign.
    Do not feed the trolls.

I thought they already restructured Diehl.

I don't agree that Boothe needs to be locked up. It would be a good thing but he's not elite at the position and he could end up getting overpaid. The Giants have guys like Mosley and Cordle who IMO are not far off in overall talent. Granted they're not proven but the Giants still have a chance of landing guys in the draft like Cooper or Warford also.

I don't think the re-signing of Boothe should be all that urgent....not yet just in my opinion.

I disagree that he needs to be "locked up". Boothe is a good player, but he has a Super Bowl ring now and he will be looking to cash in. Its nothing personal from him, but he wants to be paid and I dont think the Giants should give a long term deal to a SOLID player.
    "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

If we're an average OL, it'll be an improvement over the last two seasons, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeyitus View Post
    I disagree that he needs to be "locked up". Boothe is a good player, but he has a Super Bowl ring now and he will be looking to cash in. Its nothing personal from him, but he wants to be paid and I dont think the Giants should give a long term deal to a SOLID player.
    Huh? Your point is if I understand it, is that if you have a reliable piece of a team that as you state is a "SOLID" player you are against signing a long term deal. I really do not get that philosophy. Not every position, in fact most positions are not all-pro caliber. You want a team that is solid in all areas. You get a piece that is as you say solid you try to keep them.

That said, he is in my opinion the best option at this time. A known commodity that is very familiar with the system and a continued continuity on the OL pays larger dividends down the road.

We just need to draft well if we are in salary cap hell. Plug holes through the draft instead of paying in FA. Thats how good teams become great. I would not be opposed to draft a OL in the first, even though I hate it, I completely understand it. You have to have solid trenches. DTs who can stuff the run and push back the LOS, DE's who can explode and attack in the backfield, C's and G's who can open lanes and T's who can block speed/power rushers. If you have all those bases covered, I dont care who else you have on your team, you are going to be a playoff team.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=144536&dateline=14121  66338

I gotta think we can't lock down boothe and cruz. I'm thinking one or the other. I could be wrong, I just don't see us keeping both. Gotta see what happens with cruz first.

Quote Originally Posted by sethm View Post
    Huh? Your point is if I understand it, is that if you have a reliable piece of a team that as you state is a "SOLID" player you are against signing a long term deal. I really do not get that philosophy. Not every position, in fact most positions are not all-pro caliber. You want a team that is solid in all areas. You get a piece that is as you say solid you try to keep them.

That said, he is in my opinion the best option at this time. A known commodity that is very familiar with the system and a continued continuity on the OL pays larger dividends down the road.
    Boothe will be 30 years old at the start of the season. Giving him a long term deal and tying up funds would be unwise. Develop Mosley, pick up a Willie Colon or draft a young stud to replace Boothe is the most cost efficient option.
    "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Define Locked up, he is an average LG. locked up like 2 years 5 million or are u talking 4 years 16 million