+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is john simon a DE or OLB in a 4/3 or mix of both?

Is john simon a DE or OLB in a 4/3 or mix of both?

He's obviously a bit light, but i'm sure he can easily get in the 260's, but still is a bit undersized, but he does have "natural" power, and some burst.. He plays disciplined, with excellent recognition skills.. He plays every down, and makes impact plays on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down.. He actually played both end positons, DT, and dropped at a LB at ohio st.. This kid is whats right about football as well.. Hes just a hard working kid, who plays hard, and has some natural gifts as well.. I like the former 5star recruit...

Do u guys think this versatile player can be a fit here?

I like Simon a lot, just not for us. He's defiantly "light" at 6'1", 256 but his athletic ability limits him to a 3-4 IMO. Only way I see him in a 4-3 is at LDE , which I'm not sure he would be good at. I see him he's suited in a 3-4 on the left side, either in or out, but inside would hide his weaknesses (and play to his strengths). Either way he's a bad fit for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdownman View Post
    I like Simon a lot, just not for us. He's defiantly "light" at 6'1", 256 but his athletic ability limits him to a 3-4 IMO. Only way I see him in a 4-3 is at LDE , which I'm not sure he would be good at. I see him he's suited in a 3-4 on the left side, either in or out, but inside would hide his weaknesses (and play to his strengths). Either way he's a bad fit for us.
    At his proday, he looked fantastic in space and was fast as well.. Add in the fact hes versatile, has a non stop motor, and u can see why i started this thread, and why i have intirgue...

John Simon DE Ohio State Simon has the attitude and football character that will make coaches pound the table for their team to draft the Ohio State product. He isn't an elite athlete and needs to play under control, but the biggest question with Simon is what position does he fit in the NFL? After playing mostly defensive end in college, Simon tried to stand up at linebacker in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, but struggled and pulled out after the first day due to a shoulder injury. However, he looked much more impressive (and healthy) at his personal pro day earlier this week in front of a dozen NFL teams. Simon looked natural standing up in space with good athleticism and speed, running his 40-yard dash in the mid-4.6 range with a 7.10 three-cone drill and 4.42 short shuttle time. The Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year, he has the NFL pedigree and make-up to stick on a pro roster and could hear his name on the second day of the 2013 NFL Draft after his impressive workouts.

I got that bottom paragraph off of "risers" section of CBSSPORTS NFL Draft info..

Interesting Prospect kinda reminds me of a Will Hill type story..top recruit coming out of HS..underachiever maybe? Could u post some highlights?

Height is more of an issue than weight. Giants seem to always target the DEs with length.

If the giants draft Simon, they would likely move him to SAM. Maybe they give him some edge rush snaps on pass downs too.

Physically he reminds me a lot of Brandon Graham, though graham, imo, was much better changing directions, and Simon may have a bit better burst.

There are some teams that dont mind having shorter DEs, or OLBs, a team like the steelers for instance, I think would love a guy like Simon. Detroit is another one that doesnt seem to care about the height of its DEs.
    Last edited by slipknottin; 04-04-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Graham size but rushed off the edge like Jared Allen..this guy will be VG as a situational OLB rusher. But the problem is he is terrible at run defense, can't set the edge, seems like a bit of a blockhead, but athletically gifted that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPAWU1Oc1iw

Quote Originally Posted by BlessedinBlue22 View Post
    Graham size but rushed off the edge like Jared Allen..this guy will be VG as a situational OLB rusher. But the problem is he is terrible at run defense, can't set the edge, seems like a bit of a blockhead, but athletically gifted that's for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPAWU1Oc1iw
    Cant look at a read option offense and complain about DE not setting the edge. Read option is DESIGNED to prevent the DE from setting the edge.

I do not think he could play DE in a 43. Ideally, I think he is a 34 OLB but I see no reason he couldnt play 43 SLB.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    He's obviously a bit light, but i'm sure he can easily get in the 260's, but still is a bit undersized, but he does have "natural" power, and some burst.. He plays disciplined, with excellent recognition skills.. He plays every down, and makes impact plays on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down.. He actually played both end positons, DT, and dropped at a LB at ohio st.. This kid is whats right about football as well.. Hes just a hard working kid, who plays hard, and has some natural gifts as well.. I like the former 5star recruit...

Do u guys think this versatile player can be a fit here?
    You know the 4.5 sack game against Wisconsin he had that I cut got blocked

+ Reply to Thread