+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is john simon a DE or OLB in a 4/3 or mix of both?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I do not think he could play DE in a 43. Ideally, I think he is a 34 OLB but I see no reason he couldnt play 43 SLB.
    Ya, i'm thinking with his versatility maybe he could do alittle bit of everything, as he did at Ohio St.. Mostly for us, he'd be a SLB, as he moved so well in space at his proday, and would be a great situational pass rusher, that u could stand up, put hand in dirt, blitz, drop in coverege, and possibly from time to time, line up inside... Theres many things u can do with this kid, and his motor is non stop, and he does have some physical gifts, and was a prized 5star recruit coming outta HS.. I like him alot.. I think i like em alot, because hes whats right with college football..

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Height is more of an issue than weight. Giants seem to always target the DEs with length.

If the giants draft Simon, they would likely move him to SAM. Maybe they give him some edge rush snaps on pass downs too.

Physically he reminds me a lot of Brandon Graham, though graham, imo, was much better changing directions, and Simon may have a bit better burst.

There are some teams that dont mind having shorter DEs, or OLBs, a team like the steelers for instance, I think would love a guy like Simon. Detroit is another one that doesnt seem to care about the height of its DEs.
    Ya, i here ya, but theres a first time for everything...

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    Ya, i here ya, but theres a first time for everything...
    I dunno, there arent too many 6'1 DEs playing the in league right now for 43 teams.

He would be giving up 6 inches to many tackles in the league. Playing against a guy with that much of a leverage advatage for an entire game would be pretty hard.

I would also bring up his problematic injury history. He has knee and shoulder probs which will hurt his stock a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I dunno, there arent too many 6'1 DEs playing the in league right now for 43 teams.

He would be giving up 6 inches to many tackles in the league. Playing against a guy with that much of a leverage advatage for an entire game would be pretty hard.

I would also bring up his problematic injury history. He has knee and shoulder probs which will hurt his stock a bit.
    Ya, but he woulden't be playing DE primarily.. He'd be SLB primarily and his versatility and expierence all over on defense would allow him to play some end, maybe to maximize ur pass rushers on the field at the same time, or to get more pass defense on the field while also keeping a guy with non stop motor and pass rush ability out there...etc Leverege is tough to win when ur going against a guy thats shorter then u.. Its not easy for a guy that much taller then someone to win the leverege war... its actually very difficult, and very hard for a 6ft 6in lineman to get low enough to get his hands in good placement at the same time...

Simply put, i love the versatility that Simon could offer, and his non stop desire to make the play .. Theres just no quit in this kid... Again, part of my liking him, is hes whats good about football..

I dont think he could play Linebacker in a 4-3. He just isnt a fluid enough athlete to play in space. He will struggle mightily in pass coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I dont think he could play Linebacker in a 4-3. He just isnt a fluid enough athlete to play in space. He will struggle mightily in pass coverage
    U do realize Kiwanuka is our starting SLB, right? Also, he was killer in space at his proday, and played all over the place at Ohio St including LB...

U do realize Kiwanuka is our starting SLB, right? Also, he was killer in space at his proday, and played all over the place at Ohio St including LB...
    Thats not a good thing having Kiwanuka as a LB. Did u see his pro day? His games dont show a good enough athlete to play LB well in a 4-3 in the NFL.

Thats not a good thing having Kiwanuka as a LB. Did u see his pro day? His games dont show a good enough athlete to play LB well in a 4-3 in the NFL.
    Even though hes not dropping into coverege all the time, i have faith he can be fine doing it in a short area, while also playing SDE as well.. He seems to win the leverege battle all the time, and its nothing knew to him going against bigger OT's and taller ones at that.. Even more athletic DE's don't produce like him, becuase this guy plays all the time, and alot of these so called "athletic" fit the mold 4/3 DE's do not... Hes very good at playing the run as well.. I think he can play DE and some SLB, especially in run downs in a base 4/3 scheme, and hes got a natural feel at rushing the passer, and he has a ton of pass rush moves.. This guys the kinda player who produces for ya.. Hes much more then just a undersized DE.. He does almost everything well, from hand placement, to a varitey of pass rush moves, to playing through the whistle, to extremely good timing, to solid technique...etc Add in the versatility, and i think its just a matter of what team picks em , he does well for.. The more i learn and see, the more i like this kid alot and think he can fit any scheme and any team...

Even though hes not dropping into coverege all the time, i have faith he can be fine doing it in a short area, while also playing SDE as well.. He seems to win the leverege battle all the time, and its nothing knew to him going against bigger OT's and taller ones at that.. Even more athletic DE's don't produce like him, becuase this guy plays all the time, and alot of these so called "athletic" fit the mold 4/3 DE's do not... Hes very good at playing the run as well.. I think he can play DE and some SLB, especially in run downs in a base 4/3 scheme, and hes got a natural feel at rushing the passer, and he has a ton of pass rush moves.. This guys the kinda player who produces for ya.. Hes much more then just a undersized DE.. He does almost everything well, from hand placement, to a varitey of pass rush moves, to playing through the whistle, to extremely good timing, to solid technique...etc Add in the versatility, and i think its just a matter of what team picks em , he does well for.. The more i learn and see, the more i like this kid alot and think he can fit any scheme and any team...
    As a 4-3 under LB where they play on the line of scrimmage he would be good against the run but if u wanted him to play in Space carrying a TE down the field its just not going to happen.

As a 4-3 under LB where they play on the line of scrimmage he would be good against the run but if u wanted him to play in Space carrying a TE down the field its just not going to happen.
    I agree, he definetly would lack at running in space downfield with TE's, but again, i think in a short area, he could be fine, and i really believe he could play alot of SDE as well, with that relentless motor, array of pass rush moves, and hand useage... I just think he could be a great jack of all trades and move him all around and keep the offense on there toes a bit.. Hes got a bit of explosiion as well, so if u give him a lane, hes gonna explode through it and get the QB or at least rush the play a bit... Hes a intriguine guy when talking about 3rd rd area, as pass rushers with versatility at that point in the draft from prestiougus schools are tough to find then..

+ Reply to Thread