+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    One of mine was Giants v Vikings, 1986 Phil Simms 20 yard pass to Bobby Johnson on 4th and 17 with 1:12 left on the clock. Kept us alive for the game winning field goal.
    This is one of my all time favorites....I also love the catch in superbowl 21 where the ball bounced off Bavaro's hands Into McConkey...Tyree's catch was huge....too many to really list
    "When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

Quote Originally Posted by fansince69 View Post
    This is one of my all time favorites....I also love the catch in superbowl 21 where the ball bounced off Bavaro's hands Into McConkey...Tyree's catch was huge....too many to really list
    How do you pick "one"?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I agree with the Tyree catch, the magnitude of the game and the kind of catch separates it from all the other great plays.
    Another play that should get some consideration is Erik Howard striping Roger Craig of the ball and LT recovering it in the air in the NFC Championship game. If that play doesn't happen, the 49ers are going to the Super Bowl.

My avatar

David Tyree has to be the greatest though..

Tyree's catch, easily.
    Giants General Manager George Young recalls, "On his first day back, he wrote on our locker room chalkboard, 'The grass is greener, my butt. P. McConkey.' "

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Blue View Post
    I will say the David Tyree catch was the best catch and the greatest play I ever seen
    I'm going along with this one. Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by egyptian420 View Post
    My avatar
    Thats was the greatest play I have ever seen. After that play, my brother said the Giants were destined to win the Superbowl. I just nodded in agreement and didn't even think there was a possiblility of them losing the game.

On a side note, Joe Buck should have been forced to retire after the game because that was the most pathetic play calling I have ever heard. It sounded like he was a Patriots fan and the play took the wind out of his sail. He was so exited at the prospect of Eli getting sacked that when he avoided it, his exitment fell off a cliff and was completely monotone.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    How do you pick "one"?
    That's the problem. It's easier to choose a "favorite" child than to choose my favorite Giants play!

I would say, though, as has been pointed out in this thread already, the precise situation and magnitude of the moment dictates to me that the Tyree catch has to be considered the "best" play in Giants history, and arguably the best play in NFL history because of the situation (a claim made by the late, great Steve Sobol by the way--and he, more than most, has seen a lot of great NFL plays).

At the same time, I still have a special place in my heart for the Bavaro catch vs Niners, and the 4th and 17 vs Vikes you alluded to. That play, above all plays that year, allowed me to actually believe we had a real chance to win it all that year. And, after so many years of discouraging ineptitude, and after the humiliating heartbreak of the post season game in 85, that was a huge leap of faith to me.

Veteran
    Super Bowl XXV - we were down 12-10 in the 3rd quarter. At one point it was 3rd and 13, Hostetler passes to Ingram about 7 yards short, but Ingram shakes about 5 defenders to get the first down. We ate up about 9-10 minutes on that drive and scored a touchdown. It was the defining moment in that game that really turned it around and put the pressure on Buffalo. The Bills eventually got the lead back, but we were able to get another 3 points and you know the rest (WIDE RIGHT!!)

Also a shout out to the Roger Craig fumble. Also in 1991, NFC Championship game. The Niners had a slim lead in the 4th quarter. We knew they were going to eat clock with Craig, and they were almost in FG range. Well, he got swallowed up. Erik Howard pops the ball out while falling on his back and LT picks it up. We kick a FG and suddenly the Giants are in the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by pino; 03-21-2013 at 02:13 PM.