+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Tyree's catch definitely is up there as one of the greatest plays in the history of the NFL. JPP's field goal block is my personal favorite though... Just like the previous game vs the packers, Eli had posted a tremendous comeback to put the Giants ahead, and then the opposing team was driving for a FG. Except this time JPP was there to block it and reverse a 4-game losing streak, and in the end saved the season.

So many great memories.

Gary Reason's "Hit" ranks up there.

RosieVision - Helping Giants fans see clearly since 2006

http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905

Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    I agree with the Tyree catch, the magnitude of the game and the kind of catch separates it from all the other great plays.
    Another play that should get some consideration is Erik Howard striping Roger Craig of the ball and LT recovering it in the air in the NFC Championship game. If that play doesn't happen, the 49ers are going to the Super Bowl.
    this is the play! directly responsible for us going to that superbowl.

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    One of mine was Giants v Vikings, 1986 Phil Simms 20 yard pass to Bobby Johnson on 4th and 17 with 1:12 left on the clock. Kept us alive for the game winning field goal.
    How about the George Martin Interception return for a TD against the Broncos and he kept trying to give the ball to LT but he wouldnt take it from him.It took him like 20 minutes to run it back
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 03-21-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    I was at the stadium for that one..
    Same here - my Jets fan friend season ticket holder asked me in August if I wanted to go since he knew there was no way in hell his wife would go to an Xmas eve game.

Tyree play... hated to be presumptuous but it was so hard not to think we HAD to win that game after a play like that.
    Last edited by Ruttiger711; 03-21-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    Last few avatars: Nicks, Bradshaw, Jacobs - who's the next future ex-Giant

How bout Hakeem Nicks's Hail Mary TD catch at the end of the first half in GB in the Divisional PLayoff in 2011. That play seemingly broke the Packers spirit in that game and Giants dominaited the 2nd half

I'd vote for Tyree as the "greatest" based on the stage and circumstances. I was lucky enough to be at that SB, and didn't appreciate how great it was when it happened live without the endless replays and commentary.

My most "memorable plays" are a little different. Seeing Burress catch the winning SB TD in the end zone where I was sitting will probably never be topped (for me), and something I doubt I'll ever experience again.
    Scott Norwood "wide left" will never be forgotten, nor will Tynes kicking a frozen football 47 yds to win the NFC Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    That's the problem. It's easier to choose a "favorite" child than to choose my favorite Giants play!

I would say, though, as has been pointed out in this thread already, the precise situation and magnitude of the moment dictates to me that the Tyree catch has to be considered the "best" play in Giants history, and arguably the best play in NFL history because of the situation (a claim made by the late, great Steve Sobol by the way--and he, more than most, has seen a lot of great NFL plays).

At the same time, I still have a special place in my heart for the Bavaro catch vs Niners, and the 4th and 17 vs Vikes you alluded to. That play, above all plays that year, allowed me to actually believe we had a real chance to win it all that year. And, after so many years of discouraging ineptitude, and after the humiliating heartbreak of the post season game in 85, that was a huge leap of faith to me.
    That 4th & 17 wasn't as visually exciting as the Eli escape and the helmet catch, but, for me, it was the execution. Simms was about to get hammered when he let that ball fly and Johnson, like Tyree, was not the most reliable of receivers. It's probably more because I was there when it happened.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

There have been a lot of great plays in Giants history. The helmet catch, Plaxico's TD, the goal line stand at Washington, Manningham's catch in SB 46, Bavaro carrying 3 49'rs on his back. And lets not forget Mark Ingram in SB 25.

But to me, nothing compares to 4th and 17 against the Vikings in 1986. Its the play that turned the Giants from a good team to an all time great team.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    How about the George Martin Interception return for a TD against the Broncos and he kept trying to give the ball to LT but he wouldnt take it from him.It took him like 20 minutes to run it back
    I forgot that one, it was so slow motion like
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1