+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you think was the greatest Giants play of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by keyofgmen View Post
    That was one of plays of that season that actually had us long suffering fans feel that it might actually be true..That we might actually have a team good enough to believe in the impossible. That is why it is one of my favorites. It was like.."did you just see what Simms did!??"
    And the hush that came over the Metrodome was awesome. And that crowd was crazy all game long.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    One of mine was Giants v Vikings, 1986 Phil Simms 20 yard pass to Bobby Johnson on 4th and 17 with 1:12 left on the clock. Kept us alive for the game winning field goal.
    I remember that. At the time, I didn't think Simms had it in him! LOL! But the David Tyree catch and Eli's escape tops them all.
    Giants fan since '58

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
    I remember that. At the time, I didn't think Simms had it in him! LOL! But the David Tyree catch and Eli's escape tops them all.
    Yeah but there was a luck factor in that. It was a great escape but the pass (by Eli's description in America's Game) hung in the air forever. It was actually a blown play by Harrison. It was definitely a dramatic and memorable play, but it was a little "fluky". Plus, it didn't launch the franchise into a new era like the 4th and 17 play. I would actually rate Eli to Manningham higher than the Tyree play because it was a truly great football play made by both guys. Great throw and great catch. That's why the Simms/Johnson play was so great. it was just a great football play.
    I would also rate Ingram's play higher as well for the same reason. Just pure grit by one player.

And you may not be shocked to hear that I knew Phil had it in him....ever since he threw his first pass against the Saints in 1979.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoutwest View Post
    LT smashing Thiesman, Romo getting clobbered by Boley were great but the helmet catch was beyond special.
    so two of your favorite plays are when QBs got seriously injured??? One of them career ending?? Says all anyone needs to know about your respect for the game...

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Yeah but there was a luck factor in that. It was a great escape but the pass (by Eli's description in America's Game) hung in the air forever. It was actually a blown play by Harrison. It was definitely a dramatic and memorable play, but it was a little "fluky". Plus, it didn't launch the franchise into a new era like the 4th and 17 play. I would actually rate Eli to Manningham higher than the Tyree play because it was a truly great football play made by both guys. Great throw and great catch. That's why the Simms/Johnson play was so great. it was just a great football play.
    I would also rate Ingram's play higher as well for the same reason. Just pure grit by one player.

And you may not be shocked to hear that I knew Phil had it in him....ever since he threw his first pass against the Saints in 1979.
    Nice argument, but even though it was a broken play, it made the catch even greater. The guy had the ball against his helmet going down with the defender trying to knock it away. Just an amazing catch even watching it now on replays its still hard to believe. I remember the one handed 3rd down catch that Frank Gifford made to beat Pittsburg for the Eastern title in 1963? I remember lots of big plays through the years even by Chucken Charlie Connery. But nothing tops David Tyree. He should have a life time job with the Giants.
    Giants fan since '58

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
    Nice argument, but even though it was a broken play, it made the catch even greater. The guy had the ball against his helmet going down with the defender trying to knock it away. Just an amazing catch even watching it now on replays its still hard to believe. I remember the one handed 3rd down catch that Frank Gifford made to beat Pittsburg for the Eastern title in 1963? I remember lots of big plays through the years even by Chucken Charlie Connery. But nothing tops David Tyree. He should have a life time job with the Giants.
    I grant you that it was the craziest play. But too many fluky things happened in it to make it the great play you think it is. (In my opinion of course)
    Actually, the most memorable play in that game to me was the Plaxico TD. That was the best moment of the game. Maybe the best moment for me as a Giants fan.
    I don't go as far back as you, but I do go back to 1967 as a Giants fan. The helmet catch was definitely the most bizaare play. (at least among the positive plays)

The helmet catch will go down in history as the most famous play in Giants history. But I prefer the Manningham catch. It was just a thing of beauty from beginning to end. The perfect pass, the perfectly executed catch and toe drop. Just perfect.

As mentioned before the LT fumble recovery in 1990. I still remember John Madden mentioning that Howard forced the ball but he was raving that LT recovered it. He kept saying, "great players make great plays!"

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    The helmet catch will go down in history as the most famous play in Giants history. But I prefer the Manningham catch. It was just a thing of beauty from beginning to end. The perfect pass, the perfectly executed catch and toe drop. Just perfect.
    OK. If the standard is the most "famous" play, I might tend to agree. Unfortunately if that is indeed the standard, then the Herm Edwards play may be second.
    The question was regarding the "greatest" play in Giants history.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    As mentioned before the LT fumble recovery in 1990. I still remember John Madden mentioning that Howard forced the ball but he was raving that LT recovered it. He kept saying, "great players make great plays!"
    Holy crap...I can't believe I didn't mention that. that was the Eric Howard play. That may be the greatest defensive play of all time for the Giants.
    but that play was all Eric Howard.
    very good call on that one.

+ Reply to Thread