+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Defense?

Best Defense?

Withthe league stressing offense creating a problem trying to defense the RG3's and other teams employing the option, is the 3-4 or 4-3 a better defense. A 3-4 can offer the outside LBs and corners to cover the option when the QB runs outside and run stuffers staying at home on the line to prevent handoff option or run may be best bet. The 4-3 defense leaves the DE to cover the end run on the option and that takes a way from pass rush. Or, does a corner move up to LB with a third safety in a 4-4-3? A 3-4 has me thinking that it is a better defense against the current offenses such as the Redskins, but what do I know, I;m just a watcher and not a defensive expert, and I don't like, and never will, like running quarterbacks and I don't like rooty-tooty-fruity-patooty football nor do I like the rooty-tooty-fruity-patooty players dancing and jiving like they were in a Blues Club after every play, plays they get paid big dollars to execute or stop, but when they stink up a play or don't stop one they slink away. I happy I don't have to watch Ray Lewis and his stupid dance routine anymore. Enough with the girly-girly crap, play football on the filed, dance and jive at the clubs. What happened to the 1950's football, Sam Huff, Chuck Bednarik, Ray Nitsche, and the beast MLB of the Chicago Bears whom all players feared?

Just tagging this thread. I'll make a big reply to this in a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Withthe league stressing offense creating a problem trying to defense the RG3's and other teams employing the option, is the 3-4 or 4-3 a better defense. A 3-4 can offer the outside LBs and corners to cover the option when the QB runs outside and run stuffers staying at home on the line to prevent handoff option or run may be best bet. The 4-3 defense leaves the DE to cover the end run on the option and that takes a way from pass rush. Or, does a corner move up to LB with a third safety in a 4-4-3? A 3-4 has me thinking that it is a better defense against the current offenses such as the Redskins, but what do I know, I;m just a watcher and not a defensive expert, and I don't like, and never will, like running quarterbacks and I don't like rooty-tooty-fruity-patooty football nor do I like the rooty-tooty-fruity-patooty players dancing and jiving like they were in a Blues Club after every play, plays they get paid big dollars to execute or stop, but when they stink up a play or don't stop one they slink away. I happy I don't have to watch Ray Lewis and his stupid dance routine anymore. Enough with the girly-girly crap, play football on the filed, dance and jive at the clubs. What happened to the 1950's football, Sam Huff, Chuck Bednarik, Ray Nitsche, and the beast MLB of the Chicago Bears whom all players feared?
    Its more about your personnel and how its deployed. All 3-4's and all 4-3's arent created equal. For me I like Wade Phillips defense the best. He Uses 3-4 personnel with 4-3 gap concepts so u get the attacking fronts with more flexible athletes

Right now, I believe the 43 has the edge. I think the fact that a lot of 34 teams are now running a hybrid 34 instead of its pure form shows at least some coaches agree with me.

In my opinion and without getting over complicated, the recent rule changes hurt the 34 more than the 43. The fact that LBs can no longer molest WRs and TEs in their short crossing routes is the major reason we are seeing more and more 3-4 coaches use a hybrid system which more resembles a 43.

Furthermore, with the rise of the passing game defenses are being forced to take linebackers off the field in favor of nickle and dime defenses. 34 defenses are built around the LBs. So your essentially forcing team to take 1 of their best players off the field. 43 defenses are built more around the Dline. The linebackers, while important, arent the heart and sole of the 43 and therefor taking 1 off the field isnt usually as detrimental to the other facets of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
    Integration happened. Know what I mean Vern!

Every team has defensive packages that employ 3-4's, 4-3's nickels and etc. The Giant's base defense is a 4-3. Each defensive package out on the field is placed there to counter what the defensive coach thinks the offense is going to run. A defensive player(usually your Mike) has the ability to shift the defense or make adjustments sometimes adjusting into a different package.

All the defenses are effective if they are executed properly and players play disciplined. Right now we don't have the personnel/type of players to make the 3-4 our base package.

Also, the 4-3 has been attributed to coach Tom Landry when he was the defensive coordinator with the Giants in the 1950's when you had guys like Rosey Grier playing.

Football has evolved into what it is today and truthfully, some of the hard nosed guys of the past would probably be considered not athletic enough to even make a team anymore. That is what some of the talking heads who compare players of the past to today's players fail to take into account.