+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Eli and Cruz!

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    What do you mean?
    i was responding to the thread the OP created about Eli and saying how he hopes cruz returns is a good thing. i made a lame attempt at sarcasm...now its even more lame since u merged the threads lol

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    i was responding to the thread the OP created about Eli and saying how he hopes cruz returns is a good thing. i made a lame attempt at sarcasm...now its even more lame since u merged the threads lol
    Ahhh
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter.525 View Post
    take a pay cut Eli..
    Why should Eli take a pay cut?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...giant-in-2013/

To the few who were saying this had no form of news or how did this thread substantiate anything that I said in the thread, here is the article that I was reading. I could not post the site because I was in a biology lab at the time and I had to do all the work because the professor gave me 3 bums to work with because I have the highest grade in the class.... Anyways I do think Cruz will be a Giant next year unless something really surprising happens with some mystery dark horse team. I posted the thread because basically half the threads on the "talk about giants football" forum is about the Victor Cruz situation. I did not see a proper place that this would fit in because all of the active ones on the first page were opinion pages about Cruz telling students to work hard or Cruz vs. Nicks, etc...

Sorry if I aggravated some of the more veteran posters on here. I was trying to get the story to you guys because I thought that it was a pretty nice read and good to hear Eli make statements like that because he is usually a pretty quiet guy.

Also when I was saying that Cruz was being ungrateful I was in class and I couldn't think of another synonym that would have been close enough to what I was talking about. A better word that I should have used would probably be insensible. Not that he does not care for the team because I truly think he loves the Giants and should owe them some credit for giving him a shot. I am saying that only based off the fact that we do not have a ton of money to throw around this off season and I am sure that he can see that there are plenty of veterans on the team who are taking pay cuts and such to make them have the most successful off season possible so that they can go on another playoff run and be a contender to win it all again. I know that he does deserve to be paid well because his play the last two seasons is pretty remarkable honestly, but I mean this is not baseball where you can just hand out unreal contracts to half of your team. The players have to be conscious that they can still get their money but not put their team in a bind where they will be tight on money for quite a while. I might get ripped for all of this but it is my opinion and I have seen some pretty outrageous opinions stated on here and I do not think the points that I am making are really that hard to ask out of him. He is a very young player and I am sure that we will lock him up for a pretty long time but I am sure that in 2-3 years we can give him a pay raise if he continues to perform on the high level that he has been on. I am not trying to sound like a Cruz hater because that could not be farther from the truth. I have loved watching the kid play and he has been one of my favorite if not my favorite player since he broke into the starting lineup. Ever since he went off vs. the jets in the preseason where he had like 3 TD's and one of them was the one handed catch down the left sideline that he took to house for a big play I was always wanting him to get some action in the regular season. I think since I am such a big fan of him I make these statements just off of the fact that I have seen what agents and success can do to certain athletes. Chris Johnson is a perfect example, he held out for his pay day then once he got the money he just did not look like the same player....

I hear it all the time from Ex NFL players on NFL network etc. saying that when they are faced up vs someone who just got a huge contract or play that same position that they focus a lot more on that player outplay that player than they can make the argument that they should get those type of numbers when their contract is up.

nygfanstrick, great post. i enjoy reading well written, well thought out opinions. i agree with everything u said. i know what u mean with ur last paragraph too, Fauria on First Take has made that exact comment/sentiment.
    and ungrateful is too strong a word, i agree. i still used it anyways bc it does reflect the situation a bit. i mean eli did set the whole thing in motion with that 2011 preseaon text to cruz. if it werent for the nyg and eli, cruz woulda never gotten a shot to display his talents that do warrant a nice pay day. i like ur point about cruz having to be aware of the vets taking pay cuts left and right and eli saying hed work with his contract all so cruz can get signed...seems to me he could meet the team half way, but whose to say he isnt and that they're trying to define what half way is...

Quote Originally Posted by NYGfanSTRICK View Post
    Eli should not need to restructure in order to get cruz signed... Cruz IMO is coming off a little ungrateful. You would think that he would be a little more lenient with the NYG since we were the team that brought him in as an UDFA and allowed him to eventually be a star on our team... if it comes to the situation where we lose him I think we will manage. Eli is a special QB, he probably would make a trash can look like a serviceable WR
    WOW! Cruz has played for Peanuts for 3 years now. This is the contract he has to get paid. No one knows what he's asking for and no one knows what the Giants have offered.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    nygfanstrick, great post. i enjoy reading well written, well thought out opinions. i agree with everything u said. i know what u mean with ur last paragraph too, Fauria on First Take has made that exact comment/sentiment.
    and ungrateful is too strong a word, i agree. i still used it anyways bc it does reflect the situation a bit. i mean eli did set the whole thing in motion with that 2011 preseaon text to cruz. if it werent for the nyg and eli, cruz woulda never gotten a shot to display his talents that do warrant a nice pay day. i like ur point about cruz having to be aware of the vets taking pay cuts left and right and eli saying hed work with his contract all so cruz can get signed...seems to me he could meet the team half way, but whose to say he isnt and that they're trying to define what half way is...
    Thanks man I appreciate it. I mean Cruz should probably get in the Welker contract range IMO. Cruz has more upside but he also has only played 2 years for us and we do not know if he can keep it up year after year like Welker did. They are similar players in the aspect that they are creative/crafty route runners who have great hands. Cruz does have the advantage that he is younger and he has better yards after catch potential and just straight up big play potential. I will post the two of their stats, I will use both of their stats from their entire NFL career.

SEASON TEAM GP REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LST
    2011 16 82 131 1,536 18.7 99 9 59 1 1
    2012 16 86 143 1,092 12.7 80 10 52 0 0

This is according to ESPN too by the way in case anyone has any questions where I got the information lol.

SEASON TEAM GP REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD FD FUM LST
    2005 16 29 - 434 15.0 47 0 20 0 0
    2006 16 67 99 687 10.3 38 1 33 0 0
    2007 16 112 145 1,175 10.5 42 8 65 2 0
    2008 16 111 150 1,165 10.5 64 3 57 1 1
    2009 14 123 162 1,348 11.0 58 4 71 1 0
    2010 15 86 122 848 9.9 35 7 47 0 0
    2011 16 122 172 1,569 12.9 99 9 77 0 0
    2012 16 118 174 1,354 11.5 59 6 72 2 1

Both have very impressive stats and they both have a ton of catches while being over 1,000 lately. Cruz has a slight advantage in TD's and AVG. Welker has about 30+ catches per year more and has had more yards than him both years... I do think that the upside for Cruz is much higher than Welker at the moment. On the other hand Welker has proved that he can play on this level year after year. Once he left Miami he pretty much was a 100+ catch 1000+ yard guy. Welker got 2 yrs 12 million, I do not think that it is that much to ask that Cruz gets around those numbers and probably a little more because of the age of the player and the potential he has. I honestly do not know much about the Giants cap situation and what Cruz is looking for compared to what the Giants have offered to this time. I am sure we could make a Welker like deal happen for Cruz and I think both sides should and would feel satisfied with the negotiations if they agreed to around this type of money. That way the Giants can focus on the draft and trying to get other players we need to re-sign or pick up other below the radar FA's like we have done this off season.
    Last edited by NYGfanSTRICK; 03-21-2013 at 04:02 AM.

How about, if it wheren't for Cruz, we don't win the SB. The Giants are being ungrategul! Oh my! You can turn that phrase both ways. The Giants have their number and Cruz has his. I hope they meet somewhere in the middle and keep him here a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by PRGiant View Post
    WOW! Cruz has played for Peanuts for 3 years now. This is the contract he has to get paid. No one knows what he's asking for and no one knows what the Giants have offered.
    Read my most recent posts that I have had I will explain what I really meant to say. I can see that that post you quoted of me looks pretty ignorant on my part. I am a huge Cruz fan and want him back just as bad as everyone else... Wow I kind of like getting bashed sometimes and having to back up your opinions. It is different from other boards that I have been on but it allows people to give you alternate perspectives to what you might think and maybe you might actually agree with some of the stuff I said in the last few posts on this thread rather than that rushed poorly worded post I had in class.

Quote Originally Posted by PRGiant View Post
    How about, if it wheren't for Cruz, we don't win the SB. The Giants are being ungrategul! Oh my! You can turn that phrase both ways. The Giants have their number and Cruz has his. I hope they meet somewhere in the middle and keep him here a long time...
    Valid point here too, he was a crucial part of the SB run. He was someone that Eli could trust that would be able to get open on 3rd downs and he was just all around solid. Either way you look at it the deal needs to get done and they need to negotiate to a point where they can meet at a middle ground where both sides are happy.