+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's really going on with Diehl?

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    You feeling okay today buddy? You kept this post under 2000 words. Something must be wrong. LOL
    Fair enough. Nope, I'm feeling just dandy, thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    I think Reese is just being careful but I can't imagine they see him as a starter.
    Why would he still be on the roster if they werent planning to start him. If they wanted him for a backup, he would have already been offered the paycut, or he would have been cut already.

Quote Originally Posted by StrahanSoup92 View Post
    Why would he still be on the roster if they werent planning to start him. If they wanted him for a backup, he would have already been offered the paycut, or he would have been cut already.
    Rotation, depth, call it what you want. There is no reason to push him out the door until they are sure all of the windows are in.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by JJC7301 View Post
    That's exactly what I'm thinking -- see what happens in the draft and then ask him to take a pay cut if they can't draft his replacement. If they draft a stud G or T in the 1st RD, then they just cut him.
    I think he gets a pay cut either way. He either starts or is a backup depending on who they get. He only gets cut if he doesn't agree to the pay cut. The FO is waiting to see just how much $ they need as long as they are under the top 51 rule. They won't cut/restructure anyone till they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    That's why I said "salary". Cutting him would free up more funds than restructuring him would.

The fact that they haven't touched him is what leads me to believe he's sort of in limbo.They've sunk a load of cash into that o-line and they just aren't getting their money's worth. Something has to give.

I'm not a Diehl hater, it's just the way I see the situation. It's just an opinion, I could easily be wrong.
    Be careful of that word "restructure." It seems to be the most mis-understood word in the NFL. Diehl is in the last year of his contract, there is nowhere for them to spread out whatever remains of his contract. They want him to re-do his contract so they can cut his pay with no adverse long term CAP strain.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Yes, I was referring to the original media report that he had been asked.
    sometimes I can even read with comprehension!! sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud57 View Post
    It's looks like someone hasn't been telling the truth hmmmmm

hmmmm.......yeah, because it couldn't be that the media's speculation was wrong in the first place. You almost NEVER see the media print something they KNOW is just a rumor in order to get the headline. ESPECIALLY when it's about sports.
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    hmmmm.......yeah, because it couldn't be that the media's speculation was wrong in the first place. You almost NEVER see the media print something they KNOW is just a rumor in order to get the headline. ESPECIALLY when it's about sports.
    +1

Be careful of that word "restructure." It seems to be the most mis-understood word in the NFL. Diehl is in the last year of his contract, there is nowhere for them to spread out whatever remains of his contract. They want him to re-do his contract so they can cut his pay with no adverse long term CAP strain.
    I know what the typical definition of "restructure" is. Poor word selection on my part.

As for the Giants wanting to redo his contract.... Where have they said this?

My guess is simply that the team is using the time it has to find better options. They think they can do better than Diehl for substantially less money even after the charge for the cap. If they force the issue with Diehl now to either take a paycut or be cut, then they are stuck with him. They are just warehousing him to see what else they can find out there. If in the end they can't find better then they will move to cut him or resign him at a much lower scale IMO.
    No one remembers who came in second.

+ Reply to Thread