+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's really going on with Diehl?

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    I still reckon they plan on cutting him. He's the contingency plan if they don't get a guy through the draft.
    Or keeping him for versatile depth at a reduced paycheck
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    Or keeping him for versatile depth at a reduced paycheck
    They need to dump salary in order to sign the new guys, and Diehl is basically a flashing neon sign.

That's what I think, anyway.

They need to dump salary in order to sign the new guys, and Diehl is basically a flashing neon sign.

There will be dead money invlolved, I think, and you are not alone in your thoughts. I'm in the minority
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

You're absolutely correct...I really would find it bizarre that the FO found that Diehl doesnt deserve a paycut and therefore wont reduce his salary.

I still reckon they plan on cutting him. He's the contingency plan if they don't get a guy through the draft.
    Regardless of your opinion of Diehl as a player right now, that would be a pretty ****ty thing for the Giants to do to him, especially after the many years he was a valuable true team player for them. And I don't believe that's how the Giants org rolls.

If they were going to cut him, because they needed the money and presumably because they shared your view of his lack of value to the team, they would have done it already. Why would they hang on to him if they truly thought he had no more value to them, even if only as a back up? To wait until after the draft to see if someone else would come along? What a crappy way of looking at the situation. You really think Reese et al are that petty and weasely?

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    Regardless of your opinion of Diehl as a player right now, that would be a pretty ****ty thing for the Giants to do to him, especially after the many years he was a valuable true team player for them. And I don't believe that's how the Giants org rolls.

If they were going to cut him, because they needed the money and presumably because they shared your view of his lack of value to the team, they would have done it already. Why would they hang on to him if they truly thought he had no more value to them, even if only as a back up? To wait until after the draft to see if someone else would come along? What a crappy way of looking at the situation. You really think Reese et al are that petty and weasely?
    I agree, it wouldn't be a classy way to handle the situation but we have to keep in mind that this is a business. The Giants have made Diehl a wealthy man so I think he would get over it.

I am just really surprised that they haven't approached him to take a pay cut so now I think that they will flat out cut him since no team in the league would pay him the amount of money his is set to make this year.

There will be dead money invlolved, I think, and you are not alone in your thoughts. I'm in the minority
    I'm with you RF. I've seen the Oline decimated by injury before. The guy is good depth. I think they want to see how the draft works out and what Brewer brings to OTA's and camp before making any rash moves.

You feeling okay today buddy? You kept this post under 2000 words. Something must be wrong. LOL

That's why I said "salary". Cutting him would free up more funds than restructuring him would.

The fact that they haven't touched him is what leads me to believe he's sort of in limbo.They've sunk a load of cash into that o-line and they just aren't getting their money's worth. Something has to give.

I'm not a Diehl hater, it's just the way I see the situation. It's just an opinion, I could easily be wrong.

That's exactly what I'm thinking -- see what happens in the draft and then ask him to take a pay cut if they can't draft his replacement. If they draft a stud G or T in the 1st RD, then they just cut him.

+ Reply to Thread