+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Are signing big contract free agents really worth it?

My answer is no when you consider the long term affects the big contract has on the salary cap. I think Reese has realized this too. And I know with our current cap situation we couldn't sign any big name players this year. But going forward, I don't think Reese will be signing many big name free agents, even when salary cap space reappears in the future and he can.

Using PFF grades for these fours big contract signings, was it money well spent? I'll say yes to Canty, no to Boley and Rolle, and probably not to Baas.

Notice how all 4 players had a negative grade in their first year with the Giants (i.e. new team, new system). Another reason to keep your own free agents, especially the ones in their prime (age 25-29).

Canty
    2008 +6.2 (DAL)
    2009 -5.1
    2010 +12.3
    2011 +9.1
    2012 +6.6

Rolle
    2008 +5.6 (ARI)
    2009 -6.7 (ARI)
    2010 -6.2
    2011 -17.1
    2012 -2.9

Boley
    2008 +0.9 (ATL)
    2009 -7.7
    2010 +6.1
    2011 -0.8
    2012 -8.6

Baas
    2008 +4.6 (SF)
    2009 +3.2 (SF)
    2010 +3.7 (SF)
    2011 -10.3
    2012 +3.3

Honestly ...no. And I'm sorry for using any profanity in any previous posts. I just hate the Jets. Lol. I hope you can understand. I don't want to offend anyone on here. Thanks.
    Last edited by Sean Montemayor; 03-22-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mercurio View Post
    JR is the GIANTS GM as TC is the coach and Eli is the QB. Support them.
    Couldn't have said it better.

to be fair, canty, rolle and boley all played big roles in winning our last superbowl... they may have been underwhelming overall in their time here but you can't discount the fact that they helped us reach the ultimate goal.

Just ask the 2011 dream team

In a word, no. Well documented across the entire league for a decade or more.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Eh, I don't think it's black and white. Is it optimal to draft your stock of talent? In abstract, sure, but eventually they're going to cost as much as any other FA when their rookie contract ends.

The only reason we're chastising signings like Canty and Boley is because of our lack of cap space. Had we not been in this predicament, no one would be criticizing them. But the reality is that both of those guys had been great players for the Giants, and that the current cap issues are just as much of the homegrown players as free agents. Giants had a lot invested in their defensive ends, cornerbacks and QB, three positions that command the top 4 median salaries in the NFL.

Building a cohesive team is about using every possible resource out there which includes both free agency and the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    Eh, I don't think it's black and white. Is it optimal to draft your stock of talent? In abstract, sure, but eventually they're going to cost as much as any other FA when their rookie contract ends.

The only reason we're chastising signings like Canty and Boley is because of our lack of cap space. Had we not been in this predicament, no one would be criticizing them. But the reality is that both of those guys had been great players for the Giants, and that the current cap issues are just as much of the homegrown players as free agents. Giants had a lot invested in their defensive ends, cornerbacks and QB, three positions that command the top 4 median salaries in the NFL.

Building a cohesive team is about using every possible resource out there which includes both free agency and the draft.
    Exactly! Teams in the NFL are constantly in rebuilding/restocking mode from year to year. I think the one year deal is going to become more of the norm than exception. You figure that every year a group of players per team ends their rookie contract with a derth of them leaving via free agency. Teams with the foresight usually have guys waiting in the wings to come in and replace those players with as hopefully little drop off as possible.

It depends on the player. Plenty have been worth it:

Drew Brees
    Brett Favre
    Peyton Manning
    Vincent Jackson
    Terrell Owens
    Plaxico Burress
    Tony Gonzalez
    Michael Turner
    Matt Birk
    Jonathan Joseph
    Julius Peppers
    Asante Samuel
    Justin Smith

Elites should remain elite no matter where they go. It's the average guys which teams overpay for that don't work out so good.

In abstract, sure, but eventually they're going to cost as much as any other FA when their rookie contract ends..
    Yea, but you don't have the first year negative grades of a new free agent.

The only reason we're chastising signings like Canty and Boley is because of our lack of cap space.
    That's the point of this thread. These signings created the cap hell. Convincing a free agent to jump ship typically costs more than resiging your own for the "home team discount".

Quote Originally Posted by moosedrool View Post
    My answer is no when you consider the long term affects the big contract has on the salary cap. I think Reese has realized this too. And I know with our current cap situation we couldn't sign any big name players this year. But going forward, I don't think Reese will be signing many big name free agents, even when salary cap space reappears in the future and he can.

Using PFF grades for these fours big contract signings, was it money well spent? I'll say yes to Canty, no to Boley and Rolle, and probably not to Baas.

Notice how all 4 players had a negative grade in their first year with the Giants (i.e. new team, new system). Another reason to keep your own free agents, especially the ones in their prime (age 25-29).

Canty
    2008 +6.2 (DAL)
    2009 -5.1
    2010 +12.3
    2011 +9.1
    2012 +6.6

Rolle
    2008 +5.6 (ARI)
    2009 -6.7 (ARI)
    2010 -6.2
    2011 -17.1
    2012 -2.9

Boley
    2008 +0.9 (ATL)
    2009 -7.7
    2010 +6.1
    2011 -0.8
    2012 -8.6

Baas
    2008 +4.6 (SF)
    2009 +3.2 (SF)
    2010 +3.7 (SF)
    2011 -10.3
    2012 +3.3
    I don't know if using 4 players is much of a sampling in terms of your question. But it does suggest the Giants are right in their approach via the draft and developing players with free agent signings better suited to short term goals/needs. When the team hired George Young, their first real GM he suggested acquiring free agents was akin to hiring someone else's problems.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1