+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: 7+ million offered to Cruz

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    No, I was saying it's better to have Cruz on a shorter extension to give us more flexibility a few years from now. I want Cruz extended; I just think it benefits the team more to not extend him for more than 3 years. 4 is okay, but not ideal.
    Okay, that makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    Okay, that makes a lot more sense.
    I think the FO needs to, and indeed does, look at these contracts like puzzle pieces. They all need to fit together down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen0820 View Post
    You need a vague idea of your team's infrastructure for years in advance. If Randle becomes the player we all expect him to be, he's gonna need a new deal, and he might be a more intriguing option than Cruz will in three years.
    very intersting post.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I think the FO needs to, and indeed does, look at these contracts like puzzle pieces. They all need to fit together down the road.
    I thought you suggested not extending Cruz so in 3 years we can extend Randle. Got it now.

Having three highly priced WRs, and a premium paid QB, will under no circumstances be ideal. The salary cap will never be so high that teams won't worry about what they pay their players.
    "Having three highly priced WRs, and a premium paid QB" may never happen for the Giants. All it takes is another WR that plays great on a rookie-capped/cheap contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudyy View Post
    I thought you suggested not extending Cruz so in 3 years we can extend Randle. Got it now.
    Oh hell no. lol

I just want to be sure the FO has as much flexibility later as they can. This way here, they can make the best decision about who to carry moving forward and won't be handcuffed into making a decision one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBlueAllDay View Post
    "Having three highly priced WRs, and a premium paid QB" may never happen for the Giants. All it takes is another WR that plays great on a rookie-capped/cheap contract.
    And that is exactly why you need to think about these contracts in the longview.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    very intersting post.
    And again, I can't stress enough that it's merely speculation on my part. Like Drez mentioned with the puzzle pieces, you can't just kind of hope these things fall into place.

If Nicks and Cruz are signed until 2018, or 2019, Randle (if he pans out) will have zero chance of getting a new deal in 2016, especially if Nicks/Cruz have backloaded deals. Sure, you can cut one of them, but you're gonna eat some sort of penalty for it and, let's face it, probably have to cut ties with a locker-room favorite/great player.

And again, I can't stress enough that it's merely speculation on my part. Like Drez mentioned with the puzzle pieces, you can't just kind of hope these things fall into place.

If Nicks and Cruz are signed until 2018, or 2019, Randle (if he pans out) will have zero chance of getting a new deal in 2016, especially if Nicks/Cruz have backloaded deals. Sure, you can cut one of them, but you're gonna eat some sort of penalty for it and, let's face it, probably have to cut ties with a locker-room favorite/great player.
    I totally agree now that I ​understand.

So much underlining. Cap is serious business.

+ Reply to Thread