+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bansaw View Post
    you're thinking guaranteed money is signing bonus for some reason
    Maybe I'm not explaining myself here.
    Guaranteed money is a signing bonus PLUS any guaranteed salary.
    It would be perfectly normal to guarantee to a player that his first years salary will be paid no matter what. So if this is the deal, the guaranteed money is the entirety of the signing bonus (paid upfront) PLUS the first years salary. So if Cruz gets a bonus of $11MM and his first years salary is $1.5MM, his guaranteed money is $12.5MM. He will get the signing bonus up front (even though they are generally spread out over the life of the deal) and get his salary during the season.
    If get tears up his knee and can't play anymore, he would keep the $11M and get his salary during the course of the season.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    7 for Cruz and 9 for Nicks- if he stays healthy...I think that's doable.
    That could well be the case. Also factor in Randle's play in 2013. If he lights it up and Nicks doesn't play a full season again, they may just.......
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Maybe I'm not explaining myself here.
    Guaranteed money is a signing bonus PLUS any guaranteed salary.
    It would be perfectly normal to guarantee to a player that his first years salary will be paid no matter what. So if this is the deal, the guaranteed money is the entirety of the signing bonus (paid upfront) PLUS the first years salary. So if Cruz gets a bonus of $11MM and his first years salary is $1.5MM, his guaranteed money is $12.5MM. He will get the signing bonus up front (even though they are generally spread out over the life of the deal) and get his salary during the season.
    If get tears up his knee and can't play anymore, he would keep the $11M and get his salary during the course of the season.
    Aren't you supposed to be in Church?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

I give up

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    That could well be the case. Also factor in Randle's play in 2013. If he lights it up and Nicks doesn't play a full season again, they may just.......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I give up
    So soon?

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    LOL Just something to think about. Twists and turns

I give up
    I don't know why this is hard for you to understand.
    Lets do this. Lets say that Cruz signs a 4 year, $28MM deal. that's an average of $7mm/year.
    Lets also say that his guaranteed money is $11MM.
    That could mean that he has a salary of
    $1.5MM yr 1
    $3.5MM year 2
    $4.5MM year 3
    $9MM year 4
    That is $18.5MM in salary and a $9.5 signing bonus. So his guarantee is his bonus plus year 1 salary.
    We would spread the cap hit of the bonus to $2.375MM per season.
    So year one the cap hit is $3.875. Year 2 its $5.875 and so on.

This gives the perceived average of $7MM/year, but enables us to release or renegotiate him before that huge cap hit year 4 which would be $9MM plus $2.375.

This is $11M guaranteed. I think this is the kind of deal the Giants are looking for. Its a $9 cap savings if we relaese him before year 4.

I hope my math is right.
    "Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

getting greedy

we best hope they get something done, I don't see any good coming from him playing on a tender
    Exactly.What if he takes the tender and gambles on himself to get the big payoff at end of season ,but ends up getting hurt or something,then hes screwed.
    "it don't cost you nothing to be nice"

Quote Originally Posted by giantcarll View Post
    Exactly.What if he takes the tender and gambles on himself to get the big payoff at end of season ,but ends up getting hurt or something,then hes screwed.
    There are very few incentives to taking the tender and he didn't change agents to do what his old agent was doing which seems to be not much in terms of "negotiating."