+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Agreed.

Do you know what you get if all the guys on the team are making an average salary? Average players. The way the league is set up, you need to sink a sizable portion of the cap on a handful of players, your core players, and then fill in the gaps with guys on first contracts and average vets. You just have to make sure the guys you're paying are playing to their salaries.
    +100

Quote Originally Posted by cornerback30 View Post
    If Cruz turns it down then the Giants must hope some team offers something bigger then get the pick,don't let him walk for nothing.I myself think it's a fair offer,and I now understand why Mara said what he said about not over paying him being they have other key pieces to pay as well
    I can see Cruz waiting to see if he's going to get a significantly better offer from another team first. Of course, we'd all like him to sign right away, but if he can actually get $4m-$5m a year more somewhere else, I can't begrudge him that. It's easy to make decisions with other people's money.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli TO Shockey View Post
    Parties close in negotiations normally lead to offers.
    What? A negotiation involves demands and offers. The fact that an offer has been made does not mean they are close.

Agreed.

Do you know what you get if all the guys on the team are making an average salary? Average players. The way the league is set up, you need to sink a sizable portion of the cap on a handful of players, your core players, and then fill in the gaps with guys on first contracts and average vets. You just have to make sure the guys you're paying are playing to their salaries.
    IDK man, the Vikings don't have major money invested outside of a few guys and they have a "perfect team."

LOL, psych!

Christ, Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline will account for an average of $18 mil over the coming years. That's what a black hole looks like.

A first round + over 8 mil/yr. I don't believe there is a team that desperate. You think he is worth 24 mil over a first round wide receiver?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Empty View Post
    Christ, Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline will account for an average of $18 mil over the coming years. That's what a black hole looks like.
    meanwhile they lose their star left tackle in jake long, a quality cornerback in sean smith, and a solid starting running back in reggie bush.

All-Pro
    Agreed.

Its not concentrating in so few, its how much. 54 million for the top 5 (top 5 against the cap) Giants players this year. Thats alot when you look at other teams. Baltimore for example. They're the champs. This year their top 5 counted 44.4 mil to the cap, but next year it will be 62.5 mil (Way to go Joe). Look whats happening to their team. San Fran's top 5 were 37 mil. Green Bay 40.3 mil. Not average teams, yet less tied up in their top 5. Heck I bet every team in the playoffs this year had less tied up in their top 5. The biggest problem of course is Eli's number of 20 mil. That number has got to come down. He's my favorite Giants QB of all time, but come on, his deal needs reworking. Plus do you really think the linebackers and secondary can get us to the Super Bowl now as is? What about the offensive line? Wouldn't you like to have some money to put towards those positions in the next couple of years?

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by L.T.56 View Post
    meanwhile they lose their star left tackle in jake long, a quality cornerback in sean smith, and a solid starting running back in reggie bush.
    Not surprisingly, their top 5 against the cap are all on defense. Dustin Keller is their highest against the cap skill player, that's some quality GM work right there (yeah, not really).

This is a fair deal for both sides.
    New York Giants Superbowl XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI Champions!!!!!