+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Manti, is he a smoke screen?

Quote Originally Posted by blu_buddha View Post
    How many LBs in the NFL are productive with no DT clogging up the middle?
    Ray Lewis made his money in his heyday with Siragusa and company taking on the O-Line for him. Giving him a shot at the tailback, fullback or even quarterback. I agree with you. And, then the help of Boulware on the outside didn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by rebelfan1966 View Post
    I know a lot of people like him, but I really hope we pass on Manti
    I don't want him, but I'd take him in the 2nd if he fell that far (which he won't).

Te'o is intriguing because u see his awareness skills and instincts , and he was so great in coverege this past season, with his tackling ability, ableit that didn't exist in national champ game.. I'm sorry, i'm intrigued by em, and his footabll IQ is very high as well.. If he does what hes supposed to, he could be a real diffrence maker for us..
    Last edited by nycsportzfan; 03-26-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Te'o isnt a smoke screen. In fact I think the whole "smoke screen" thing gets way overdone by posters.

I have said I think Teo is more likely to be drafted as a 34 LB because he has more value to a 34 team. I do not like his value as a 43 LB at the 19th pick. I say this because there just isnt enough film out there of him taking on blocks and shedding them as is required of a 43 MLB. His dline kept him very clean all season long, save for the bama game and we all know how that went.

A couple months ago on these forums, prior to the whole GF scandal i got flamed on these very boards for suggesting that Te'o the football player was overrated. I made that statement based on his play prior to the Bama game. I think time has proven me correct. He was rated by many as a top 5-10 pick.

However, if anything now I think the pendulum of popular opinion has swung a little too far in the other direction. He is still a good football player who belongs in the later half of the 1st round or perhaps in the early 2nd. He does have good instincts and you cannot throw out his good career simply because the best college team in the country made him look silly. Bama did, after all, make a lot of other people look silly this season too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Te'o isnt a smoke screen. In fact I think the whole "smoke screen" thing gets way overdone by posters.

I have said I think Teo is more likely to be drafted as a 34 LB because he has more value to a 34 team. I do not like his value as a 43 LB at the 19th pick. I say this because there just isnt enough film out there of him taking on blocks and shedding them as is required of a 43 MLB. His dline kept him very clean all season long, save for the bama game and we all know how that went.

A couple months ago on these forums, prior to the whole GF scandal i got flamed on these very boards for suggesting that Te'o the football player was overrated. I made that statement based on his play prior to the Bama game. I think time has proven me correct. He was rated by many as a top 5-10 pick.

However, if anything now I think the pendulum of popular opinion has swung a little too far in the other direction. He is still a good football player who belongs in the later half of the 1st round or perhaps in the early 2nd. He does have good instincts and you cannot throw out his good career simply because the best college team in the country made him look silly. Bama did, after all, make a lot of other people look silly this season too.
    All legit questions my freind, albeit, I tend to think his size/strength is good enough to take on blocks consistently in a 4/3 MLB, and i really think he fits the type of MLB that can be really good here.. Blakburn made alot of splash plays, and Te'o is alot better then he is, especially in coverege, and Te'o is a very sound hard tackler for the most part, as u said, dont' take away a guys career over one bad game.. I think he'd be a fit here, to be honest.. I felt that way about Lauranitis who reminds me alittle of Te'o, and i think i'd of been right, if Lauranitis was here..

I think 19 is a bit early, but if ur looking for impact players on the LB core, who can cover and tackle, and have solid football IQ, i think Te'o would be intriguing and i think we could do worse at 19...

I watched most of this guys career, and he has something that u just can't teach... Hes in his element on the football field...

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    All legit questions my freind, albeit, I tend to think his size/strength is good enough to take on blocks consistently in a 4/3 MLB, and i really think he fits the type of MLB that can be really good here.. Blakburn made alot of splash plays, and Te'o is alot better then he is, especially in coverege, and Te'o is a very sound hard tackler for the most part, as u said, dont' take away a guys career over one bad game.. I think he'd be a fit here, to be honest.. I felt that way about Lauranitis who reminds me alittle of Te'o, and i think i'd of been right, if Lauranitis was here..

I think 19 is a bit early, but if ur looking for impact players on the LB core, who can cover and tackle, and have solid football IQ, i think Te'o would be intriguing and i think we could do worse at 19...

I watched most of this guys career, and he has something that u just can't teach... Hes in his element on the football field...
    He is an intriguing prospect and does have the productivity. I think because of his low center of gravity he could...could being the operational word...be a very good 4-3 Mike. The problem is are you going to get the Te'o that was in the Alabama game or the one throughout the season? Every week in the NFL you are facing an 'Alabama', however in the NFL you also have some of the best talent around you to feed off of. Plus, he has no damning revelation coming out as far as I know...so he shouldn't be too distracted.

I wouldn't be mad if we get him, but I think there are other needs at 19. I'm kind of softening my stance on him again. I wanted the Giants to grab him last year, after the BCS I wanted nothing to do with him(and not because of the drama), but now I can see it but am kind of either way.

I would hate to pass on the guy and find we passed on the next Clay Matthews.
    Last edited by Rat_bastich; 03-27-2013 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    All legit questions my freind, albeit, I tend to think his size/strength is good enough to take on blocks consistently in a 4/3 MLB, and i really think he fits the type of MLB that can be really good here.....
    See that's my problem tho. It isnt that I dont think he lacks the tools to do it. It is that he just hasnt done it much on film. Having a prospect who has the tools and has shown he can do it it is more valuable than having a prospect that has the tools and hasnt proven he can do it.

It is why I think he has more value to a 34 team because shedding blocks is a plus to a 34 ILB, but it isnt a huge requirement. In a 43, it is an absolute requirement. So when I say he is a late 1st to early 2nd what i am really saying is that in my opinion he is a late 1st round prospect to a 34 team and perhaps only a 2nd round prospect as 43 MLB. That is why, to me, he isnt good value for us as a 1st rounder at the 19th pick.

Quote Originally Posted by titwio View Post
    It's amazing what a fake story and a bad Bowl game can do to someone. This time last year Manti Te'o was one of my favorite prospects for the Giants before he announced he wouldn't declare for the draft. I still think he's a great player and all but given the catfish saga, distractions and the media hype he brings....I want that no where near the Giants organization.
    +1

Can't shed blocks and is a head case. He has a huge confidence problem (looking for love on the Net) and will be a huge bust in the NFL. Alabama game provides all the evidence you need. Big time players make big time plays in the big game.

+ Reply to Thread