+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mingo is almost certainly gonna be drafted as a 34 OLB. He is the 2nd rated 34 OLB in this draft and would be rated much lower as a 43 end. His speed/quickness is amazing but he lacks the strength and that doesnt bode well for him as a 43 DE. There is a reason this kid has refused to do bench press this offseason. I have also read some of his interviews at the combine may not have gone well, but that is just rumor.

I just think with all the 34 teams needing passrushers, he is gonna end up with them.

If we did pick him I think we would have to get creative in how we use him and he would be a situational player until he could get some bulk and strength.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    Mingo is almost certainly gonna be drafted as a 34 OLB. He is the 2nd rated 34 OLB in this draft and would be rated much lower as a 43 end. His speed/quickness is amazing but he lacks the strength and that doesnt bode well for him as a 43 DE. There is a reason this kid has refused to do bench press this offseason. I have also read some of his interviews at the combine may not have gone well, but that is just rumor.

I just think with all the 34 teams needing passrushers, he is gonna end up with them.

If we did pick him I think we would have to get creative in how we use him and he would be a situational player until he could get some bulk and strength.
    No reason he coulden't play SLB in a 4/3.. Hes plenty athletic enough , and if Kiwanuka can play SLB, i would think Mingo would be just fine there, and more of a overall playmaker at the positon as well...

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    No reason he coulden't play SLB in a 4/3.. Hes plenty athletic enough , and if Kiwanuka can play SLB, i would think Mingo would be just fine there, and more of a overall playmaker at the positon as well...
    This 100%. He would be a huge upgrade over Kiwi and no one is saying play him at full time DE. Use him as a SAM and then as a situational edge rusher (which is a massive need). My ideal draft is getting Mingo and then Greene in round 2. I know a lot of people don't but I personally think Greene could play MLB in the NFL and develop very well. At worst he will play WILL and Jacquian Williams will be a nickel package guy and great depth. With those two picks are LBs are massively upgraded with playmakers and we help fix the pass rush. It's a no brainier to me if Mingo is there; not to mention how he'd help us with the read option which we will see a ton.
    Last edited by DarceChoke; 03-29-2013 at 09:42 AM.

I think I'd have to pick up a Mingo jersey though.. just sounds cool

Mingo would be huge upgrade at Sam. Well to me just about anyone is. Kiwi is not a Linebacker and should have been a De. Mingo would be perfect against option offenses.

Quote Originally Posted by DarceChoke View Post
    This 100%. He would be a huge upgrade over Kiwi and no one is saying play him at full time DE. Use him as a SAM and then as a situational edge rusher (which is a massive need). My ideal draft is getting Mingo and then Greene in round 2. I know a lot of people don't but I personally think Greene could play MLB in the NFL and develop very well. At worst he will play WILL and Jacquian Williams will be a nickel package guy and great depth. With those two picks are LBs are massively upgraded with playmakers and we help fix the pass rush. It's a no brainier to me if Mingo is there; not to mention how he'd help us with the read option which we will see a ton.
    But again, you are talking about taking a guy who plays 1 position and taking risk that he will convert to another. That is a risk and risk lowers value, which is exactly why he is worth less to a 43 team than he is to a 34 , where you can clearly see he has the skillset to play 34 OLB.

I think it is fitting you bring up Kiwi because he is an example that kinda backfires for you. He was benched at SLB last year because he hasnt exactly thrived at the postion when it comes to playing in space and moving away from the line of scrimmage. There is a real risk of that happening to Mingo too. Again, risk lowers his value.

It isnt impossible and the guy is a freak of an athlete for sure. But, in my opinion, he has way more value to a 34 team.

Think about it this way. He is the 2nd rated 34 olb on most scout boards. Where would you rate him as a 43 OLB? Maybe 4th or 5th at best? So not only is he more valuable as a 34 olb but 34 olbs tend to get drafted sooner than equal ly ranked 43 SLBs.
    Last edited by BlueSanta; 03-29-2013 at 04:22 PM.

He's just as much a risk to a 34 team because moving to OLB is a position switch too. He's never played in a 3-4

His value as a pass rusher should be similar to every team. And to me, he is probably more valuable in a 4-3, because I'm not sure he has the strength to be a 3-4 OLb
    Last edited by slipknottin; 03-29-2013 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    He's just as much a risk to a 34 team because moving to OLB is a position switch too. He's never played in a 3-4

Is that why he is the 2nd rated 34 olb on many scouts boards and isnt listed at all as a 43 SLB on most?

Im not against the kid, he is a heck of a player. But his skillset screams 34 to me.

Is that why he is the 2nd rated 34 olb on many scouts boards and isnt listed at all as a 43 SLB on most?

Im not against the kid, he is a heck of a player. But his skillset screams 34 to me.
    yup.. when I think of Mingo, I think 3-4 OLB..

Well his value is as a pass rusher. And he isn't a DE. So 3-4 OLB is where they would list him.

But it's similar to Von Miller. Went #2 overall to a 4-3 team. But they utilize him as a pass rusher more than anything.

Have to do the same type of thing with Mingo to get the most out of him