+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who would you be disappointed with as our pick?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    The already gone argument doesnt really work tho. Revis was already gone when we picked Ross, people complained. Doug Martin was gone when we picked Wilson, people are still complaining.

Don't get me wrong, there are always people who are happy with our picks but there were definitely posters who wanted Maclin and especially Britt more than Nicks. They complained in posts at the time. My point is that I think sometimes people fall in love with certain picks too much and also fall out of love ith certain players a bit too much too.

Take Ogletree for example. Imagine if we picked him come draft day how these forums would react. There would be a lot of cheers and some very vocal Jeers as well.
    Tree would be fine with me, i am ok with any player who immediately upgrades the D. I dont want to see damontre moore or any OL in the 1st. this pick needs to be defense all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by ELI_HOF_NYG View Post
    Tree would be fine with me, i am ok with any player who immediately upgrades the D. I dont want to see damontre moore or any OL in the 1st. this pick needs to be defense all the way.
    That isnt at all unreasonable. I dont 100% agree with it, but to each his own.

I would only have a problem with you if you came to the boards the day after the draft raging over us selecting a guy who Reese might like who doesnt fit your opinion. Like if we selected Chance or something.

The already gone argument doesnt really work tho. Revis was already gone when we picked Ross, people complained. Doug Martin was gone when we picked Wilson, people are still complaining.

Don't get me wrong, there are always people who are happy with our picks but there were definitely posters who wanted Maclin and especially Britt more than Nicks. They complained in posts at the time. My point is that I think sometimes people fall in love with certain picks too much and also fall out of love ith certain players a bit too much too.

Take Ogletree for example. Imagine if we picked him come draft day how these forums would react. There would be a lot of cheers and some very vocal Jeers as well.
    There was no reason to move up for Maclin. Nicks was so good at UNC. He was a perfect kind of player for Eli as well. A guy who catches the ball in traffic. I was eating at my daughters waiting for the pick and hoping we drafted Nicks. I posted after that, barring injury, he would end up as the greatest WR in Giants history. And quite honestly, a lot of people agreed.
    The only way the fact that Maclin was gone is a bad argument, is if someone thought we should have moved up, which would have been crazy given the high rating Nicks had.
    Get well soon 80.

That isnt at all unreasonable. I dont 100% agree with it, but to each his own.

I would only have a problem with you if you came to the boards the day after the draft raging over us selecting a guy who Reese might like who doesnt fit your opinion. Like if we selected Chance or something.
    I have been on record as a pro ogeltree guy since the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    There was no reason to move up for Maclin. Nicks was so good at UNC. He was a perfect kind of player for Eli as well. A guy who catches the ball in traffic. I was eating at my daughters waiting for the pick and hoping we drafted Nicks. I posted after that, barring injury, he would end up as the greatest WR in Giants history. And quite honestly, a lot of people agreed.
    The only way the fact that Maclin was gone is a bad argument, is if someone thought we should have moved up, which would have been crazy given the high rating Nicks had.
    Didnt the Giants have a trade ready for maclin but the Eagles moved up and snatched him

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    Didnt the Giants have a trade ready for maclin but the Eagles moved up and snatched him
    glad we got nicks, nagging injuries and all.

Im indifferent on Ogletree if the Giants coaches clear him I wouldnt have a problem with it. I just dont know if he is a MLB and thats what the Giants need. i like Jacquain Williams a lot and I think he can be effective in that spot without using a premium pick

glad we got nicks, nagging injuries and all.
    Britt is very talented but the predraft talk on him being a trouble maker were spot on. He looked dominating in some games though. Before he got hurt in 2011 he looked like he was going to have a monster season
    Last edited by Redeyejedi; 03-28-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I dont think so. I could be wrong tho.

I do remember Mayock saying that Nicks was our guy from the get go and that we had met with him numberous times prior to the draft. Before we picked he definitely seemed to know for sure what our selection was.

I have been on record as a pro ogeltree guy since the beginning.
    I am fine with him as a player and I think the player would be rated around where we pick without the character concerns. I just dont predict him as the pick because we do tend to value character more than most. If Reese was ok with his character, I would be fine with it.

But, I was just refering to the clear divide in opinions on these boards about him. People love him or people hate him. If he were the pick there would be a lot of positive posts and a lot of complaints too.

+ Reply to Thread