+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Wow.
    +100

My point is, the defense is in rough shape.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboysSuck View Post
    JPP had a 6 sack year and Coughlin recently came out and said he was overweight and had conditioning issues last year.

Prince is still raw and Linval hasn't done much. Wasnt Linval the one who was a "starter" on our horrific DL last year? Im confused by this post

CWebb is proven, he just had an off year. Cullen is proven. Kiwi has been an average to above average player for years. Stevie Brown looked comfortable and poised last year. Had a great nack for the ball and is still young.

JPP was still a beast against the run and generating a good amount of pressure considering the double and even triple teams. Sacks are sort of overrated imo.

Stevie Brown almost led the league in INT's. Cwebb has been nothing short of great for us, minus a few games last year. Cullen Jenkins is a respectable vet. Kiwi will be a welcome addition to the DE rotation. What is so appalling about what I am saying?

It's ok to worry about Prince. And hope JPP returns to form. Its ok to think Linval isnt the best DT on our team.

..but to suggest Prince, Jason, and Linval are the only staple players is...well...strange
    Last edited by CowboysSuck; 03-27-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Stevie Brown almost led the league in INT's. Cwebb has been nothing short of great for us, minus a few games last year. Cullen Jenkins is a respectable vet. Kiwi will be a welcome addition to the DE rotation. What is so appalling about what I am saying?

It's ok to worry about Prince. And hope JPP returns to form. Its ok to think Linval isnt the best DT on our team.

..but to suggest Prince, Jason, and Linval are the only staple players is...well...strange
    Stevie found himself in the right spot a lot last year but is a big downgrade from KP.
    CWebb wa horrible all year last year.
    Jenkins is a respectable vet, but not special.
    And kiwi hasn't been a full time DE in years.

CWebb is proven, he just had an off year.
    CWebb has proven he is no longer the same player and is past his prime.

If Prince was still raw last year, I don't even want to know what his ceiling is.

Brown, despite having 8 picks, wasn't all that spectacular in coverage. His blown coverage directly resulted in a few big TDs.

While I think CWeb is going to rebound, I don't think he's going to be as dominant as he used to be. Prince is our #1 CB right now. CWeb was bad for more than just a few games last year, though. Considering his age and the considerable drop off in play, it is a concern whether or not CWeb is going to bounce back or if last year was a sign of permanent decline.

Linval played well, considering he had crap playing next to him all year.

JPP, while not racking up a ton of sacks, still was great against the run and got more consistent pressure than any of our other linemen. Also, while TC may have said that JPP should shed a few pounds, that doesn't mean he's overweight. It just means he's not at his optimum playing weight. Weight for a DE, especially a guy like JPP, is very fluid while he and the coaching and conditioning staffs try to figure out how to maximize his strength while not losing his athleticism. Lowering his weight should also help with his conditioning. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I'd be shocked if JPP didn't lead the team in defensive snaps.

Outside of the SB run last year, Tuck has played like crap the last two years. I don't know if his head and/or heart is truly in the game anymore, or if he's struggling with some greater demon that might be affecting his play (such as clinical depression). He is a question mark going forward. If nothing else, more so than JPP.

Kiwi is anything but a hole. He's coming back to DE. He might not be the best pass rusher, but he adequate. He's also good against the run. He's not "damaged" or anything like that from having had to play LB for a couple years. He'll slip back into his old position like a hand into a glove.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    What holes to plug? LB really is the only one. And they just brought in Connor, resigned Rivers, have been developing J Will and Paysinger.
    we just need another good corner like prince.

2012 stats
    Defense overall- 31st
    Passing- 28th
    Rushing- 25th

2009 stats
    Defense overall- 19th
    Passing- 18th
    Rushing- 19th

Bill Sheridan got fired that season, and he was working with less talent.(ie: CC Brown, Aaron Rouse). It's absurd that you guys don't think there is a personnel issue, whether it be players or Coaching. There's no need for an overhaul, but with numbers like that, it shows that there is work that needs to be done, fact not opinion. I'd think you guys would empathize more with OP's topic. I don't understand why some of you are acclimating yourselves to mediocrity. This defense is not good enough the way it is right now.

im excited to see kiwi at DE. people dont give him enough credit bc of the injuries and switching to LB back n forth. Kiwi had almost an exact carbon copy of JPPs year last season when Kiwi was also a 3rd year DE...he had games of dominance from the DE spot, a 3 sack game vs Washington (or philly cant quite remember) and well, i just never got how some of our more seasoned posters here devalued Kiwi as a DE.

I def see or saw the potential there and the ceiling was high. the reason we moved him in the frst place is bc he was such a beast we needed him on the field but with stray and a osi/tuck combo in their prime, how do u get a younger guy the snaps? move him to LB where he isnt near the player as he is at DE imo even tho he was an adequate Sam.

kiwi had a ton of athleticism enterin the league and he has unreal wingspan...wouldnt surprise me if he has a 10 sack season