+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bearbryant View Post
    That TC statement made me cringe. I was amazed that they did no damage control about that comment. However, that tells you just how "comfortable" TC feels here in his job. That isn't good for creating a sense of urgency. I see the same type of easy going- no inspirational coaching from fewell. Lacking the passion that Spags brought to NY really showed a lack of fire defense. Save we need more talent eveerywhere but when you pay guys like canty, rolle and KP and only get back 20% of your investment... Oh well after all we did wina couple of SB's in the last several years.
    Look, ya gotta shore up that LB corp, its a joke and Prince is the only bona fide CB on the team and he's just out of rookiedom! Ya' gotta get JPP into playing shape this year and eitehr Tuck reloads or ya' get a guy to spell him quickly. Without a REAL pass rush this D stinks! Just wait till the Pistol starts shootin aagain! Get going JR!!!
    What damage control was there to be done? He didn't just say he didn't know what was going on and that was it. In context he said he didn't know what the issue was because in practice they did well, practiced hard, got the concepts, etc., and then when they got into a real game things came unglued. How can a coach actually know why that happens? All the evidence during the week pointed to the team, on both side of the ball, having had fixed the errors that plagued it the week before, only to have that progress disappear on game day.

Oh, yeah, Spags passion sure helped the Saints defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Rookies get plenty of playing time if they earn it. The "TC doesn't play rookies" theory has been debunked more times than I have fingers, toes, and hos.
    Anybody that says that doesn't remember 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Even past that, while rookies may not be "starters," if they earn it, they see plenty of playing time.

It actually doesn't matter if you're running the ball well for PA to be successful; the threat of the run is enough, especially in the option offense, as even if the RB doesn't get the ball, you need to worry about the QB either running or throwing it.
    Wrong! Like way wrong. I'll never put 8 in the box if my Dline can handle a weak run attack. I can play my safety overtop your best WR or TE allowing my CB to gamble and break on short routes, I can drop my LBs in coverage etc, etc. If I'm not running the ball well the LB won't bite on the PA and I wont have clear passing lanes across the middle. The concept is the backbone of the read option offense. The offense makes defenders commit to the run leaving one read pass options- AKA easy throws for the QB. Running well matters A LOT for PA.

Even past that, while rookies may not be "starters," if they earn it, they see plenty of playing time.
    I think fans forget playing time is not based purely on talent, but is situational. Last year we had a chance to win it all and we had a good veteran RB that played well in all phases of the game. Wilson had fumbling issues and blocking concerns, none of which would help us defend our title. If you are fighting like we were fighting for a playoff spot it's a judgment call to play or not play a dynamic rookie that has a fumbling problem and trouble picking up the blocking scheme. If had played him it would have been high risk high reward, and that's not TC's style.

Veteran
    Bradshaw did not play until game 10. Boss did not play until Shockey went down.
    Manningham did not play much his rookie year, only got in when hix went down.
    The list goes on and on. Only hope a rookie gets before
    mid season is that all the starters get injured. Makes sense if you have
    a quality high level playing starter, but even when the starter sucks,
    rooks with high upside have to wait for injuries to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Bradshaw did not play until game 10. Boss did not play until Shockey went down.
    Manningham did not play much his rookie year, only got in when hix went down.
    The list goes on and on. Only hope a rookie gets before
    mid season is that all the starters get injured. Makes sense if you have
    a quality high level playing starter, but even when the starter sucks,
    rooks with high upside have to wait for injuries to get in.
    Manningham wasn't on the team in '07, so of course he didn't get any playing time.

Either way, rookies still see plenty of snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by nhpgiantsfan View Post
    The holes are plugged but they are not plugged with good talent. CWebb, Stevie, Hosley, Tuck, Jenkins, Kiwi, and the entire LB unit, are all question marks.

I guess I just should've said the only guys that we can have any confidence in is JPP, Prince, and Linval.
    Agreed. I have been feeling this way too for a while. I am not sure how this will pan out. I am hoping it turns out for the best, but the way things are shaping up it doesn't like we will have a stellar D.
    "In Reese, We No Longer Trust"

I think fans forget playing time is not based purely on talent, but is situational. Last year we had a chance to win it all and we had a good veteran RB that played well in all phases of the game. Wilson had fumbling issues and blocking concerns, none of which would help us defend our title. If you are fighting like we were fighting for a playoff spot it's a judgment call to play or not play a dynamic rookie that has a fumbling problem and trouble picking up the blocking scheme. If had played him it would have been high risk high reward, and that's not TC's style.
    huh???? wilson fumbled his first carry...and then went the entire season without fumbling. in essence he had a season without fumbling if u take away his first play lol...hardly a "fumbling problem" altho i agree that he was pegged with the "ball security issues" coming outta college but i actually think that fumble was a blessing in disguise...DW made a concerted effort the rest of the yr to hold on firmly and the result was great ball protection. imo, he sacrificed some yardage even by covering up the ball and preparing for impact on some runs he prob coulda made more out of but u could clearly see he was focused on protecting the ball which is great...

DW-top 5 rb next yr

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
    Wouldn't count on any help from the draft, not going to play rookies, as usual.
    False.