+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Vontaze Burfict PLEASE

[quote user="Wes"][quote user="JJC7301"]

[quote user="tonyt830"]lack of discipline equals fines, flags, and possible ejections/suspensions. Plus this year his numbers have dropped over last year. If Kuechly is available when the Giants pick, I'd prefer him over Burfict. Burfict may even slip to the 2nd rd in the draft.[/quote]

I would like to draft him, but I agree with you. We're not going to be loving him when he's getting 15-yard penalties left and right and that's why I wouldn't make any trades to move up to get him. I watched a youtube video (too lazy to get the link) in which he refused to come out of the game when his DC and HC wanted him to after he received an unsportsmanlike penalty.

But man, can he lay the wood on someone!

[/quote]

really? thats one of the things i love about him. He is dedicated to winning and giving his all. Id be more concerned if he wanted to come out of the game in a key situation. Who cares if he gets an occasional foul...we need some fire and recklessness in our def. Lt would likely get fouls if he played today too, but would that make you not want a young LT again? You want a monster in the middle to pick up your guys when they are playing flat.

[/quote]

I know, I like the guy too. I don't remember LT, Carson, Banks, and those guys getting stupid penalties -- they were guys who just played at high intensity all of the time and consistently brought the pain. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Believe me -- I lREALLY ike Burfict. I just wouldn't want to trade up to get him. Hopefully he'll be sitting there for us (like JPP and Prince) and JR and TC will realize that we need more players on D with a motor like JPP.

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="hungrrrry"]If he is ideal for the 1st round Reese won't take him...he never takes anLB in the 1st round and he will bank on him falling in a later round...hence we will miss out on him. We took Kiwi (who I like)instead of DeMarco Ryan, who was a dedicated LBm not a tweener. Ryan was a pro-bowler at LB. Could have had him. I think Reese passed on Clay Matthews and Cushing too if I remember right. We got Sintim...which has been a full-on 2nd round bust![/quote]

Cushing was taken 15th overall, Matthews 26th, and we drafted 29th and got Nicks

way off
    [/quote]

Lets not forget the Giants were pretty much set on drafting McClain in the first round but the Raiders scooped him up first... then stupid Reese had to settle for JPP.
    Last few avatars: Nicks, Bradshaw, Jacobs - who's the next future ex-Giant

Veteran

[quote user="JJC7301"][quote user="Wes"][quote user="JJC7301"]

[quote user="tonyt830"]lack of discipline equals fines, flags, and possible ejections/suspensions. Plus this year his numbers have dropped over last year. If Kuechly is available when the Giants pick, I'd prefer him over Burfict. Burfict may even slip to the 2nd rd in the draft.[/quote]

I would like to draft him, but I agree with you. We're not going to be loving him when he's getting 15-yard penalties left and right and that's why I wouldn't make any trades to move up to get him. I watched a youtube video (too lazy to get the link) in which he refused to come out of the game when his DC and HC wanted him to after he received an unsportsmanlike penalty.

But man, can he lay the wood on someone!

[/quote]

really? thats one of the things i love about him. He is dedicated to winning and giving his all. Id be more concerned if he wanted to come out of the game in a key situation. Who cares if he gets an occasional foul...we need some fire and recklessness in our def. Lt would likely get fouls if he played today too, but would that make you not want a young LT again? You want a monster in the middle to pick up your guys when they are playing flat.

[/quote]

I know, I like the guy too. I don't remember LT, Carson, Banks, and those guys getting stupid penalties -- they were guys who just played at high intensity all of the time and consistently brought the pain. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Believe me -- I lREALLY ike Burfict. I just wouldn't want to trade up to get him. Hopefully he'll be sitting there for us (like JPP and Prince) and JR and TC will realize that we need more players on D with a motor like JPP.

[/quote]

Rules for the guys you mentioned were much different during their time in the NFL. All 3 of those guys would be penalized heavily and often in today's NFL.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

[quote user="sharick88"]We haven't had a real impact LB since Jesse Armstead. I honestly wouldn't mind getting Burfict at all. People knocking his work ethic and him "taking plays off" need to chill out. Similar things were being said about both Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis prior to them being drafted. If he is available where we are drafting, I would do it in a hearbeat. The draft itself is always a gamble and I would put my chips all in on this guy.[/quote]

Barrow and Pierce were pretty legit for us
    Fear the name, appreciate the game

Too many people watch a youtube highlight and think that makes someone good.

What youtube doesnt show you is the portion of the season where this kid was 2ice benched.

[quote user="BlueSanta"]Too many people watch a youtube highlight and think that makes someone good.

What youtube doesnt show you is the portion of the season where this kid was 2ice benched.
    [/quote]

But as I understand it he wasn't benched for poor play.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

[quote user="Ruttiger711"][quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="hungrrrry"]If he is ideal for the 1st round Reese won't take him...he never takes anLB in the 1st round and he will bank on him falling in a later round...hence we will miss out on him. We took Kiwi (who I like)instead of DeMarco Ryan, who was a dedicated LBm not a tweener. Ryan was a pro-bowler at LB. Could have had him. I think Reese passed on Clay Matthews and Cushing too if I remember right. We got Sintim...which has been a full-on 2nd round bust![/quote]

Cushing was taken 15th overall, Matthews 26th, and we drafted 29th and got Nicks

way off
    [/quote]

Lets not forget the Giants were pretty much set on drafting McClain in the first round but the Raiders scooped him up first... then stupid Reese had to settle for JPP.
    [/quote]

Exactly why I don't liketrading up, unless for a franchise QB. I'd trade down, but not up. Just take best player available. But I do hope that Burfict is sitting at our spot when we pick!

Veteran

[quote user="BlueSanta"]Too many people watch a youtube highlight and think that makes someone good.

[/quote]

As I said in an earlier reply, Erickson is a hideous coach and his players always hate him. Take all that reprimanding and benching stuff with a grain of salt. Get this guy on a good team with a solid core group of character guys and mark my words he will tear up the league if he stays healthy.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

[quote user="MattMeyerBud"][quote user="sharick88"]We haven't had a real impact LB since Jesse Armstead. I honestly wouldn't mind getting Burfict at all. People knocking his work ethic and him "taking plays off" need to chill out. Similar things were being said about both Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis prior to them being drafted. If he is available where we are drafting, I would do it in a hearbeat. The draft itself is always a gamble and I would put my chips all in on this guy.[/quote]

Barrow and Pierce were pretty legit for us
    [/quote]
    They were serviceable, but did not really strike any fear in other teams. That's what we have lacked at the position for pretty much the last decade and a half.
    Close or you hit the bricks

Arizona State is my college team I root for, and I was at 3 home games this year, watched the rest of the games on TV.

I'm not impressed with this guy.