+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Players Currently on the Bubble

pre injury jay alford was shaping into a solid DT

Quote Originally Posted by DVision View Post
    \

Alford was a 3rd round pick in '07.
    I knew I should of doubled checked, but I think my point is still valid. Austin still has upside and is very affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by DVision View Post
    \

Alford was a 3rd round pick in '07.
    Alford was injured and never was the same....

Quote Originally Posted by Rush4Blitz2 View Post
    I get your point, but do you keep a player that's not worth keeping just for kicks, or replace him through the draft and FA.
    It doesn't make much sense to replace some of those guys when their FA counterpart wouldn't be that much of an upgrade while still costing more. Three of those guys mentioned are still viable backups on rookie contracts. And it's hard enough to choreograph the first round of the draft let alone all 8 picks to know who we're replacing.

And don't neglect roles on STs. That can be the make or break for a player on the bubble.

Let's talk about the players that we've carried over from last season. There are a few that are obviously considered long shots, but who do you think will be on the outside of the 53 this year.

When I look at past performance and the current roster I see a few guys that have a slim chance of wearing Blue again this season:

Jim Cordle
    Tyler Sash
    Marvin Austin
    Ryan Torain
    I think Austin is given 1 more year. He could be the first high pick to be cut early due to performance. Torian I dont think makes the team. Cordle can play multiple positions, he played everywhere at Ohio State so I think he will stick. Sash is pretty good on special teams but there is 5 safeties on the roster and thats before Thomas gets added to the mix.

You have to have their replacement on the roster before you can cut any of these guys. And there is nothing saying that we do or will draft possible replacements. At this point, they all have a very real chance of being on the final roster.
    the "realist" is a lazy piece of crap that works on his tan while sipping a margarita,
    the pessimist changes the sails while complaining about the lazy piece of crap,
    and the optimist changes the sails while hoping the lazy piece of crap will start to do his share of the work.

I'm really pulling for Marvin Austin to take the next step. Maybe Cullin Jenkins can take him under his wing.

What about Phillip Dillard, Greg Jones, Mitch Petrus, Matt Dodge, Rhett Bomar, DeAndre Wright, Stoney Woodson, Bryan Kehl, Andre Woodson, Robert Henderson, Jay Alford, Adam Koets, Michael Johnson. (2007-2011 Draft Class)I'm not implying anything, just giving the other side of the spectrum.
    You just confirmed his point. All those guys were late round picks, except Alford (3rd) who was cut due to serious injury (and has done nothing since). High draft picks do not get cut after 2 or 3 seasons; they play out their contract. Your going to compare 7th rounders (Michael Johnson) who played a few years, to a second round pick going into his 3rd year that every knowledgable person knew needed time to develope?I hope your not one of the posters who think late rounds picks all become starters or even make the roster. On a winning team the majority of those picks will not make it long term or even short term.

I love how people think if the giants don't hit on every pick we need to overhaul the front office (not saying that you think this). If people only followed other teams slightly (not only the giants) they would have a better understanding about draft picks, cap space, etc... Instead of just complaining we don't have $60 million in cap space and all our draft picks aren't heading into the hall of fame.

Let's talk about the players that we've carried over from last season. There are a few that are obviously considered long shots, but who do you think will be on the outside of the 53 this year.

When I look at past performance and the current roster I see a few guys that have a slim chance of wearing Blue again this season:

Jim Cordle
    Tyler Sash
    Marvin Austin
    Ryan Torain
    I know Ryan Mundy was not on our squad in 2012, but I don't think he is a lock at safety. I think he will compete with Tyler Sash for the 4th safety position.
    One day, not today, not tomorrow, not this season, probably not next season either but one day, you and I are gonna wake up and suddenly we're gonna be like every other team in every other sport where winning is everything and nothing else matters. And when that day comes, well thats, thats when we'll honor them--Jack Lengyel Marshall University

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt830 View Post
    I know Ryan Mundy was not on our squad in 2012, but I don't think he is a lock at safety. I think he will compete with Tyler Sash for the 4th safety position.
    Sash has shown basically nothing yet so if Mundy can't beat him out we don't need him....

+ Reply to Thread