+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    I never said he played particularly well under pressure this year. The only thing I said was in reference to the poster (StarhanSoup92, I think), saying that the OL played well based on the fact that we only gave up 20 sacks. Sacks given up gives a very incomplete picture of OL play. The fact is, we didn't give up only 20 sacks because the OL was giving Eli a ton of time. We only gave up 20 sacks because Eli gets rid of the ball quickly and often makes sure that the backs and TEs don't release into routes.
    this is common knowledge i thought

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    this is common knowledge i thought
    Evidently not to StraySoup, lol. That was the only point I was making until Rosie tried turning it into something else.

rosie, my question to u now is, if we invested in an OL that was tops in the league and was dominant, that Eli could last longer at a higher level?

Quote Originally Posted by L.T.56 View Post
    eli is pretty nonchalant towards mostly anything negative. whether it be media, pressure, or pain. he just scoffs at all of it and goes about his business.
    This. I remember a thread a while back about "what would happen if a meteor struck Eli today, what would we do about the QB position?". The top comment was: "He'd just shake it off and go back to the huddle."

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I'm not suggesting otherwise. But let's not forget the OL cannot help him pass the ball better when they give him time to throw.
    And there's the problem, the OL never gave him time to throw. Go watch a Patriot game and look at all the time Brady has before deciding where to throw the ball 90% of the plays.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzlesticks View Post
    And there's the problem, the OL never gave him time to throw. Go watch a Patriot game and look at all the time Brady has before deciding where to throw the ball 90% of the plays.
    eli often is forced into throws off his back foot, or forced to get rid of it much earlier than he'd like. i'd say, and the facts absolutely back it up. iirc it was PFF or Cosell who wrote a story about QBs under pressure and their success (span from like 2010 to the 2012 season) and Eli was like under pressure 20% more than the next 2nd most pressured QB and he had like the best stats (top 5 among all the passer stats under pressure).
    When Eli is given time to stand tall, and step up into the pocket, he's unstoppable. He's almost unstoppable as is under pressure, but if we can get an OL that can protect him well, he'll have a long career and prob go down as 1 of the greatest ever

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    Eli covers for the deficiencies of the OL and often makes the OL look better than they are, particularly when it comes to the number of sacks he takes. That is a cold, hard fact.
    There is a slight (and very slight) hint of truth in this, but only in the context that Eli tends to get rid of the ball quickly which limits the amount of sacks we give up. But the reality is that Eli is a different player when he has time. When he has time to set his feet and read coverage, his confidence level goes up tremendously. In this situation, he can make every throw on the field. When there is a lot of pressure, he is prone to throwing the ball too quickly. He doesn't tend to wait until a play develops, and generally can make some horrible decisions.
    Now this is certainly true to an extent of all QB's. But the "Beta" on Eli is greater than most.
    This is why I have been emphasizing the O line all off season. I want the "Good Eli" next year. The best way to get that guy that we all love, is to protect him to the max. That's our best ticket to a SB this season.
    Get well soon 80.

I don't know if Eli will play 20 years in the league. But I am all for addressing the O-line, so Eli can play as long and efficient as possible. Building on the O-line not only will benefit Eli and the passing game though, but will help open some holes for the running game also.
    Perry Fewell is out there playing Tecmo Bowl defense with just 4 plays you can pick from on the remote control.
    --sharick88

Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    There is a slight (and very slight) hint of truth in this, but only in the context that Eli tends to get rid of the ball quickly which limits the amount of sacks we give up. But the reality is that Eli is a different player when he has time. When he has time to set his feet and read coverage, his confidence level goes up tremendously. In this situation, he can make every throw on the field. When there is a lot of pressure, he is prone to throwing the ball too quickly. He doesn't tend to wait until a play develops, and generally can make some horrible decisions.
    Now this is certainly true to an extent of all QB's. But the "Beta" on Eli is greater than most.
    This is why I have been emphasizing the O line all off season. I want the "Good Eli" next year. The best way to get that guy that we all love, is to protect him to the max. That's our best ticket to a SB this season.
    how did he have the 2011 then? iirc, he was the most pressured qb that year and it wasnt even close...i agree somewhat with ur post, its just i get to ur conclusion differently. eli is capable of 2011 play with inferior OL play, but why not try and help the cause along by getting an OL that can keep him upright...

Quote Originally Posted by tonyt830 View Post
    I don't know if Eli will play 20 years in the league. But I am all for addressing the O-line, so Eli can play as long and efficient as possible. Building on the O-line not only will benefit Eli and the passing game though, but will help open some holes for the running game also.
    my sentiments exactly