+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    LOL, I know that sounds crazy. But hear me out.

Most QBs do not have the luxury of going, what, 9 seasons going on 10, without missing a game. It just dont happen.

The few times it has, its produced a guy like Favre.

Theoretically, Eli would own every passing stat including ints, if he were to play another 10 years out of sheer numbers/volume...kinda like Favre.

Now, I know every franchise wants a franchise QB, but they also want that franchise HoF all time great QB too. It raises the value of the franchise and makes it more storied. Ex. Babe Ruth and the Yanks, Michael Jordan and the Bulls, Favre and the Packers (even tho that Jets/Vikings spiel)...do you think that at some point, the FO has wondered about this topic?

If we could invest in an OL that ENSURES Eli gets touched minimally, he should be able to play for as long as possible...I don't see a reason he couldn't rival Favres streak in terms of physical ability. I know its crazy to think anyone hits favres mark and im not saying i think eli does im just saying i think his body could hold up were it needed to...

So, wouldnt it make sense then to invest in OL before anything else. Like, I'd make sure I'd give him a legit impenetrable wall...

crazy homer topic i know, its offseason...sue me.
    It is an amazing durability story to date, but counting on that continuing is a serious gamble. I want them to fix the OLine but not for Eli in his 40's. I want them to do it because it's good business.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    It is an amazing durability story to date, but counting on that continuing is a serious gamble. I want them to fix the OLine but not for Eli in his 40's. I want them to do it because it's good business.
    true.

Quote Originally Posted by Drez View Post
    And what does that have to do with anything I said?
    We had a lot of guys that didn't play very well last season and Eli was one of them.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905
    Get well, get back #80

rosie, my question to u now is, if we invested in an OL that was tops in the league and was dominant, that Eli could last longer at a higher level?
    I understand your point, but you have to give consideration to the constraints of the salary cap. I don't see us paying Cruz and Nicks their true worth while being able to pay a dominant O-line as well. That is unless of course we take it from the defensive side.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905
    Get well, get back #80

Quote Originally Posted by Roosevelt View Post
    I understand your point, but you have to give consideration to the constraints of the salary cap. I don't see us paying Cruz and Nicks their true worth while being able to pay a dominant O-line as well. That is unless of course we take it from the defensive side.
    true. good point.

then i'd ask you, would it be worth it to take from the defensive allotment to get that OL in this offensive driven league? esp considering our D has been pretty awful the past 2 reg. seasons...

true. good point.

then i'd ask you, would it be worth it to take from the defensive allotment to get that OL in this offensive driven league? esp considering our D has been pretty awful the past 2 reg. seasons...
    While I agree that the Defense has been pretty bad, we also have some young guns for the line and secondary who are here for a reason. I think the OLine has to be our focus both short and long term.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by bearbryant View Post
    I agree... Go OL in the first 7 rounds!!!
    lol

true. good point.

We've won 2 SB's with balance, and I would keep things close from a payroll standpoint going forward. But I certainly understand your position since we have a very good thing at QB. It makes sense to surround Eli with enough talent to allow him to be at his best. Where you and I differ is that I'm not interested in his personal success, only for that of the team. If he does well, we do well and vice versa.
    Get well, get back #80

Sacks are not entirely a good indication of how well the line is pass protecting. They gave up a ton of pressure. The lack of sacks is mostly on Eli, not the OL. We were rated as the 22nd or so pass blocking OL in the league. If that's your idea of good, then we have vastly different concepts of what good are.
    Im aware, Eli does know when to get rid of the football. I still watch the same team everyone else does, and I dont see a problem with the pass blocking, in my opinion, it was one of the upsides to last year. No matter how good Elis pocket presence may be, without a line, your gonna get sacked a lot. This line really isnt as bad as many here seem to think.

edit - all Qbs see a lot of pressure, even the best lines give up pressure against strong defensive fronts. We have a good Oline, when compared across the league. Im not worried about this line at all, Im more worried about having to replace 3 or 4 of these guys next off season.
    Last edited by StrahanSoup92; 03-29-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Eli covers for the deficiencies of the OL and often makes the OL look better than they are, particularly when it comes to the number of sacks he takes. That is a cold, hard fact.
    Im sorry but I disagree with you, his pocket presence and ability to get the ball out may save a few sacks, but if the Oline isnt doing there job, he would have been sacked a lot more, and that is a fact.

I still think this is a top ten Oline, no doubt, at least for one more year.