+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starter

Some of you will be disappointed but

As of this moment, the only position without a starter is RT.

Based on McShay's opinion of the draft, and IF all teams select players at a need position,
    many players that most of us like are already oof the board,
    and IF the following players are projected to be on the board when the giants pick at #19,
    (DE Werner, CB Rhodes, OG Cooper, RT DJ Fluker),
    he has the Giants selecting massive RT DJ Fluker.

I know many ppl dont like this but i would understand.
    I would hope we went with any of the other three and select a RT in either round 2 or 3 instead!

It is a good point. I have thought of that as well. But with regards to Fluker, he doesnt exactly fit the mold of what we like in Olinemen. Reese so far seems to like athletes along the line rather than just big bodies. Our running game relies heavily on finess blocks and that just isnt the way he plays. Furthermore, he isnt a horrible player at all, I just dont know about his value at 19.

Lastly, while you and I say "we dont have a starter at RT"( and I do believe that) I have no idea how much Brewer has progresssed. We dont get to see him in practices and they do. Perhaps they coaches have more faith in him than we do.

Starter
    I doubt that Brewer is ready, as he didnt get too many reps last year.

I wish I could be their guest fan and sit quietly in attendance of their war room. what an experience that would be!

If I was invited I would also hope they would ask for my opinion, and of course, I would solicit the fan base here first and share it with them. lol

BTW, I forgot the name of the RT we had last year that played well that got hurt. I wonder if he is an option?
    Last edited by paulj; 03-28-2013 at 08:09 PM.

It has nothing to do with position of need, but rather the player himself. Even if Giants ran a system that fit Fluker, he's still hardly worth the 19th overall pick.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    It has nothing to do with position of need, but rather the player himself. Even if Giants ran a system that fit Fluker, he's still hardly worth the 19th overall pick.
    I do agree he isnt good value at 19 at all. But dont kid yourself, need has a lot to do with it, even for the giants who perhaps put value over need more than most teams.

the big 5 O-linemen will be gone before #19, leaving Fluker.. I don't think JR pulls the trigger

If Werner, Cooper, Warmack, even Rhodes is there, i don't see him taking Fluker over any of the forementioned.

Bench Player
    Quote Originally Posted by paulj View Post
    As of this moment, the only position without a starter is RT.

Based on McShay's opinion of the draft, and IF all teams select players at a need position,
    many players that most of us like are already oof the board,
    and IF the following players are projected to be on the board when the giants pick at #19,
    (DE Werner, CB Rhodes, OG Cooper, RT DJ Fluker),
    he has the Giants selecting massive RT DJ Fluker.

I know many ppl dont like this but i would understand.
    I would hope we went with any of the other three and select a RT in either round 2 or 3 instead!
    We are not taking Fluker in the first round. It's just not going to happen. I think we can get a RT in the later rounds such as pugh or watson, fluker in the 2nd would be a pipe dream but I'll be exhilarated by that.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I do agree he isnt good value at 19 at all. But dont kid yourself, need has a lot to do with it, even for the giants who perhaps put value over need more than most teams.
    I've never excluded need from the BPA metric along with personal philosophies on positional value, etc. etc. But I also think impending need is also in that equation. So just because RT is the one of only positions without a starter at this very moment, I don't think Giants are putting that much more emphasis on that over positions that look to be voided after this season like CB, DT and DE.

Amukamara, Wilson and JPP looked to have been made with some foresight on hand rather than just fulfill what was the most glaring need.

Starter
    I also dont think Fluker is good value at 19. However, if he is on the board, i think he is good value in 2nd round.