+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Giant Mistakes!

Quote Originally Posted by nyGiants547 View Post
    Die Hard Giant Fan - Die Hard Rant!

I want to preface this rant with my Eli Manning support since day 1!!! Also I put out my full admission of riding the Coughlin roller coater but fully respected him after Strahons comments breakdown and especially his NFL special which put him on the highest of pedestals - yes a die hard gMan fan (who in a brutal market) needed his personal story shared on the nefl network to seal the coffin for me. While I wish he he would have retired this past year and allow the giants to hire a new coach i accept and embrace him as our starting coach 2013 season, especially since in my opinion last year giants could have made it to the superbowl and won but the only explanation in my opinion is getting lazy. A recent 2 time wining team is filled with UN-hungry team mates (on 1 and two wins) slacking off. Im hoping, since my long term giant experience was a roller coaster of playoffs and season upsets i welcome the recent success.

My main RANT... while i dont fault cruz for trying to get paid - I think he is gambling big time. Burress was removed form us after a humen error and hoped to return with major success. Had he returned to Eli he would have seen the promis land. He didn't.... Steve Smith wanted to get paid - no hard feelings - Eagles paid and the contract soared like an eagle. After his injury we wont see (which we did whitness for a period) his post Eli potential which was non existant with the great reborn VIck...... Im upset the Giants didnt hold Ballard and hope beckum will return. The Giants receiving core will be the best worst core in the league as will the running back setup...... It can go either way. Im frustrated Hixon may leave and while im confident cruz is a play on more funds which is respected receivers (which eli respecnts and understnads for great catch/throw stories to continue he needs to throw an aggressive ball into agressive coverage to a top level corner - long story short - all GIANTS top catches - past five years - while many will kick eli when down - whose stats are better? Which receivers fell off post eli pay day? I agree eli needs receivers but question the understanding of how receivers need to utilize eli! Shockey sucked post giants whining.... Steve smith sucked post giants whinning...... Cruz.....?
    " KNIBB HIGH FOOTBALL RULES!!!!"

I want to preface this rant with my Eli Manning support since day 1!!! Also I put out my full admission of riding the Coughlin roller coater but fully respected him after Strahons comments breakdown and especially his NFL special which put him on the highest of pedestals - yes a die hard gMan fan (who in a brutal market) needed his personal story shared on the nefl network to seal the coffin for me. While I wish he he would have retired this past year and allow the giants to hire a new coach i accept and embrace him as our starting coach 2013 season, especially since in my opinion last year giants could have made it to the superbowl and won but the only explanation in my opinion is getting lazy. A recent 2 time wining team is filled with UN-hungry team mates (on 1 and two wins) slacking off. Im hoping, since my long term giant experience was a roller coaster of playoffs and season upsets i welcome the recent success.

My main RANT... while i dont fault cruz for trying to get paid - I think he is gambling big time. Burress was removed form us after a humen error and hoped to return with major success. Had he returned to Eli he would have seen the promis land. He didn't.... Steve Smith wanted to get paid - no hard feelings - Eagles paid and the contract soared like an eagle. After his injury we wont see (which we did whitness for a period) his post Eli potential which was non existant with the great reborn VIck...... Im upset the Giants didnt hold Ballard and hope beckum will return. The Giants receiving core will be the best worst core in the league as will the running back setup...... It can go either way. Im frustrated Hixon may leave and while im confident cruz is a play on more funds which is respected receivers (which eli respecnts and understnads for great catch/throw stories to continue he needs to throw an aggressive ball into agressive coverage to a top level corner - long story short - all GIANTS top catches - past five years - while many will kick eli when down - whose stats are better? Which receivers fell off post eli pay day? I agree eli needs receivers but question the understanding of how receivers need to utilize eli! Shockey sucked post giants whining.... Steve smith sucked post giants whinning...... Cruz.....?
    There are plenty of great QB's in the league to play for. To suggest that Eli has some corner on the market for making WR's look good is nonsense.

Also, Shockey caught the winning TD in SB 44. But essentially father time caught up to him. May I remind you that he had some of his best seasons with Kerry Collins.

Steve Smith had a crippling knee injury and has been essentially unable to play effectively in the NFL since. It had nothing to do with losing Eli as his QB. The best thing he did for himself was take the $4MM from Philly because it was the last big payday he was ever going to see.

And the Plaxico example makes no sense at all. He went to jail for 3 years and came out a lot older and not in NFL shape. His game was in decline during the season he shot himself. Check his production that season before the incident.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by B&RWarrior View Post
    Is that where we are on this board? Pledge allegiance to Eli before commenting. The poster shared some good insights mixed in with a lot of dribble. I agree I saw a lack of fire in the belly last year. After 2 SBs in 5 years we are gluttons with a disillusioned view of what it means to be truly hungry. Though I must admit I enjoy the sloth of success and don't want to go back to being happy with a winning season like a commoner. I enjoy eating from the King's plate. We must find a way to stay disciplined in spite of our success.
    Yes that's where we are. Lets all move in lock step in praise of our QB. And bow when we mention his name.

And then explain the decline of players as a product of missing his blessed touch.

Sorry....everybody kill me now. But this nonsense is exactly what I've been talking about for years.
    Get well soon 80.

Quote Originally Posted by pino View Post
    Someone has been drinking.
    thread made at 130am so you never know. He may get up and read what he posted and say what the ****!!!
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

ummmmm the answer is 2.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Morehead State View Post
    Yes that's where we are. Lets all move in lock step in praise of our QB. And bow when we mention his name.

And then explain the decline of players as a product of missing his blessed touch.

Sorry....everybody kill me now. But this nonsense is exactly what I've been talking about for years.
    Oh we all know how you feel in that regard, but I agree it is ridiculous and it will only get worse as the next season draws near.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeandBake View Post
    Oh we all know how you feel in that regard, but I agree it is ridiculous and it will only get worse as the next season draws near.
    I was due for a little rant.
    I'm OK if I get it out of my system every couple of months.
    Get well soon 80.

Not going to "kill" you for your Eli opinions, but it's time you take responsibility for your share of the Eli "nonsense".

Yes, there can be a bit of over-adoration of Eli by some fans on this board at times. I'm probably guilty of it myself on occasion. But there is a huge reality gap between the "over praising" of Eli and your own "let's be real" appraisal of Eli.

Just as some fans will go out of their way to praise Eli a little too much at times, you go out of your way to hammer home how "average" Eli can be. Even though you usually qualify the hammer with how much you "appreciate" and you "love" what has been good about him as our QB.

The truth about Eli--as I see it--is that he resides somewhere within that reality gap, although closer to arguably the "best Giants QB in Giants history" than to the "he's just a decent QB" you are so insistent to claim.

What we have here is "nonsense" about Eli--as you call it--on both sides of the constant Eli debate.

To praise Eli for what he has accomplished in his career, and for what he has brought to the Giants is not to "bow" to him in "lock step" any more than your own insistence upon painting him as an "ok" QB who has done some great things as a Giant QB is being "real" when describing his career.

A big part of this ongoing debate about Eli on this board has been perverted and perpetrated by the incomprehensible chronic need by too many fans to declare one QB or another as "elite". That one word appears to convert otherwise rational fans into a frenzy of hyperbole--one way or another.

That entire "elite" discussion about current QBs should be banished--or at least suspended --until after a player has retired, in my opinion. The very word has a toxic effect on most sane, logical discussion concerning a pro QB, almost like the effects of a toxic drug.

I admit I'm ranting a bit here, but really, MS, you are just as guilty of going over the top to keep praise of Eli grounded to the "real" as certain others are guilty of going over the top in their constant "blind" praise of him.

The reality, as I see it, about Eli is that he is still in the middle of his career and as such is still in his prime. In his 9 years so far he has accomplished much as a Giant QB (as I know you agree), certainly more than any other Giants QB in their first 9 seasons as a pro (as you may or may not agree).

Because his career is far from over, and based upon what he's accomplished to date, there is a very real potential for Eli to tie or set a couple significant records--certainly franchise records, at the very least. The arc of his career, so far, clearly points to a very real possibility of ultimate selection to the HOF by the time his career is finished. That is not the career of an average QB.

Can we not--as Giants fans-- drop, or at least dial back, the "all or nothing" approach to evaluating and judging Eli's abilities? Or would that be denying the "purpose of a Giants message board" as some here would have it?

It's not the disagreement about any given player I'm talking about, but the insistence upon labeling a fan's understandable enthusiasm for a particular player's (ie, Eli's) very real abilities and contributions to the team (and even to the game itself) as being absurdly "adoring" or even of being a star ****er?

For example, it's the traditional "does the QB make a WR succeed, or does the WR make the QB succeed?" question I find so fascinating in many of these Eli threads. This is a question that in truth has no single definitive answer. Like most "life questions" of this nature, the real answer can be one or the other--depending upon the individuals involved--and sometimes can be that both players need to be very good in order to succeed.

Just looking at this past season, we have Michael Crabtree--in his attempt to explain why it took until his 4th season to finally show why he was a legit 1st round draft pick in 2009-- stating that Kaepernick was at long last the QB he needed to "showcase his (Crabtree's) true abilities" as a premier WR.

Yet Manningham, with the same 2 Niners QBs that Crabtree worked with in 2012--
    - played in (12) and started (10) the identical number of games he did in 2011 with Eli, and had 3 more receptions in 2012 than in 2011
    - yet he had, excluding his 2008 rookie season when he only had 4 receptions, his career low in total yards in 2012 (449)
    - he had his career low in ave yards per catch (10.7)--vs his career ave of 13.7 yds
    - he had his career low in TDs (1)--vs his previous 3 yr ave of 6 TDs per season.

So, did Kaepernick "make" Crabtree (while Manningham had his worst season of his last 4 years)?

Or did Eli "make" Manningham? Is it possible Manningham ultimately missed Eli's "blessed touch" as you derisively describe it?

Just the ramblings of a full time Giants fan concerning his full time "bowing adoration" of Eli the Manning -ificent.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen46 View Post
    Not going to "kill" you for your Eli opinions, but it's time you take responsibility for your share of the Eli "nonsense".

Yes, there can be a bit of over-adoration of Eli by some fans on this board at times. I'm probably guilty of it myself on occasion. But there is a huge reality gap between the "over praising" of Eli and your own "let's be real" appraisal of Eli.

Just as some fans will go out of their way to praise Eli a little too much at times, you go out of your way to hammer home how "average" Eli can be. Even though you usually qualify the hammer with how much you "appreciate" and you "love" what has been good about him as our QB.

The truth about Eli--as I see it--is that he resides somewhere within that reality gap, although closer to arguably the "best Giants QB in Giants history" than to the "he's just a decent QB" you are so insistent to claim.

What we have here is "nonsense" about Eli--as you call it--on both sides of the constant Eli debate.

To praise Eli for what he has accomplished in his career, and for what he has brought to the Giants is not to "bow" to him in "lock step" any more than your own insistence upon painting him as an "ok" QB who has done some great things as a Giant QB is being "real" when describing his career.

A big part of this ongoing debate about Eli on this board has been perverted and perpetrated by the incomprehensible chronic need by too many fans to declare one QB or another as "elite". That one word appears to convert otherwise rational fans into a frenzy of hyperbole--one way or another.

That entire "elite" discussion about current QBs should be banished--or at least suspended --until after a player has retired, in my opinion. The very word has a toxic effect on most sane, logical discussion concerning a pro QB, almost like the effects of a toxic drug.

I admit I'm ranting a bit here, but really, MS, you are just as guilty of going over the top to keep praise of Eli grounded to the "real" as certain others are guilty of going over the top in their constant "blind" praise of him.

The reality, as I see it, about Eli is that he is still in the middle of his career and as such is still in his prime. In his 9 years so far he has accomplished much as a Giant QB (as I know you agree), certainly more than any other Giants QB in their first 9 seasons as a pro (as you may or may not agree).

Because his career is far from over, and based upon what he's accomplished to date, there is a very real potential for Eli to tie or set a couple significant records--certainly franchise records, at the very least. The arc of his career, so far, clearly points to a very real possibility of ultimate selection to the HOF by the time his career is finished. That is not the career of an average QB.

Can we not--as Giants fans-- drop, or at least dial back, the "all or nothing" approach to evaluating and judging Eli's abilities? Or would that be denying the "purpose of a Giants message board" as some here would have it?

It's not the disagreement about any given player I'm talking about, but the insistence upon labeling a fan's understandable enthusiasm for a particular player's (ie, Eli's) very real abilities and contributions to the team (and even to the game itself) as being absurdly "adoring" or even of being a star ****er?

For example, it's the traditional "does the QB make a WR succeed, or does the WR make the QB succeed?" question I find so fascinating in many of these Eli threads. This is a question that in truth has no single definitive answer. Like most "life questions" of this nature, the real answer can be one or the other--depending upon the individuals involved--and sometimes can be that both players need to be very good in order to succeed.

Just looking at this past season, we have Michael Crabtree--in his attempt to explain why it took until his 4th season to finally show why he was a legit 1st round draft pick in 2009-- stating that Kaepernick was at long last the QB he needed to "showcase his (Crabtree's) true abilities" as a premier WR.

Yet Manningham, with the same 2 Niners QBs that Crabtree worked with in 2012--
    - played in (12) and started (10) the identical number of games he did in 2011 with Eli, and had 3 more receptions in 2012 than in 2011
    - yet he had, excluding his 2008 rookie season when he only had 4 receptions, his career low in total yards in 2012 (449)
    - he had his career low in ave yards per catch (10.7)--vs his career ave of 13.7 yds
    - he had his career low in TDs (1)--vs his previous 3 yr ave of 6 TDs per season.

So, did Kaepernick "make" Crabtree (while Manningham had his worst season of his last 4 years)?

Or did Eli "make" Manningham? Is it possible Manningham ultimately missed Eli's "blessed touch" as you derisively describe it?

Just the ramblings of a full time Giants fan concerning his full time "bowing adoration" of Eli the Manning -ificent.
    I prefer to think that QBs and receivers complement each other as Nicks and Cruz do and Hixon did with Eli. It's as much a two-way trust issue as anything else. That assumes talent on both ends, of course.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 03-29-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I was due for a little rant.
    I'm OK if I get it out of my system every couple of months.
    Can we get a 24 hour warning?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

+ Reply to Thread