+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 49

Thread: I don't understand the negativity regarding DJ Fluker

  1. #11
    at the 19th pick he is a risk. The downside to his game is that he has questionable athleticism and technique(esp in his feet) in finesse blocks.

    If you are talking about him in the 2nd, then i can see the risk as acceptable.

  2. #12
    Veteran myles2424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Tampa
    Posts
    4,483
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    Fair enough in regard to taking a RT in the first, but it fills a direct need and I'm not seeing a "terrible pass blocker". He fared pretty well against Georgia from what I could tell and that is one heck of a defensive front.
    Quantarus smith from western kentucky got him for 3 sacks in a game...

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by myles2424 View Post
    Quantarus smith from western kentucky got him for 3 sacks in a game...
    He looked really really slow in that game

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    Fair enough in regard to taking a RT in the first, but it fills a direct need and I'm not seeing a "terrible pass blocker". He fared pretty well against Georgia from what I could tell and that is one heck of a defensive front.
    You're not seeing it because it's inaccurate. People exaggerate a little to make their points. He needs to improve against speed rushers. That's it. He's great moving forward, but could struggle early against guys that get off the edge fast. I'm not sure you can be projected to be a first round OT and be a terrible pass blocker. He's massive and moves well, just needs a little work on his back pedal. He's only a junior so he's still improving. I'd be happy with him.
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

  5. #15
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    36,674
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    He needs to improve against speed rushers.
    unfortunately for him, every DE in the NFL is a speed rusher.

    And players almost never gain mobility.... So this "he needs to become faster" thing will never happen.

    Hes a mauler, great for a team that runs the ball all game. Similar to the 49ers anthony davis (who also went first round).

    But the giants are a passing team. A run first guy who struggles to pass protect just does not fit very well.

  6. #16
    I think the negativity that comes torward him from this forum is that we got to protect the QB and Flucker won't do it. I believe us from the forum much rather a guy like Thomas or Pugh in the second that have better pass blocking skills, and maybe get a Bjoern Werner or a Ogletree in the first.
    Post Week 1 FA

    1st Round: Mike Evans, WR Texas A&M
    2nd Round: Kyle Van Noy, LB BYU
    3rd Round: C.J. Fiedorowicz, TE Iowa
    4th Round: Jackson Jeffcoat DE, Texas
    5th Round: Aaron Colvin, CB Oklahoma
    6th Round: Zack Kerr, DT Delaware

  7. #17
    All-Pro Captain Chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Alexandria, Va
    Posts
    9,827
    This was one evaluation (CBS). As you can see he is boarder line RT and maybe better suited to the OG position in the Pros. This is one of those that I'm not so sure I would call him a first round talent but there will be 32 selected sooooooo. Anyway, if we are shopping for a starting RT this is not the guy!


    WEAKNESSES: At his size, Fluker is strictly a right tackle or perhaps even a guard prospect as he hasn't demonstrated the agility or balance necessary to handle NFL speed rushers on a consistent basis. Even as a run blocker -- his specialty -- Fluker has a tendency to drop his head and stop his feet as he makes contact, resulting in some of his more talented opponents being able to disengage.

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    unfortunately for him, every DE in the NFL is a speed rusher.

    And players almost never gain mobility.... So this "he needs to become faster" thing will never happen.

    Hes a mauler, great for a team that runs the ball all game. Similar to the 49ers anthony davis (who also went first round).

    But the giants are a passing team. A run first guy who struggles to pass protect just does not fit very well.
    Who are you quoting with "needs to become faster".

    He wasn't getting burned over and over again at Alabama against the same players that become NFL DEs. Improving against the pass rush isn't just about getting quicker either. I didn't say his pass protection is perfect, but the people that say it's "terrible" are exaggerating or just heard someone say he needs to improve and are acting like they watched him. I've watched every game he has ever played. Yes, he needs to improve. I don't think that's impossible for him to do. I don't want him at #19 either.
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

  9. #19
    All-Pro slipknottin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    36,674
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSabbath View Post
    Who are you quoting with "needs to become faster".

    He wasn't getting burned over and over again at Alabama against the same players that become NFL DEs. Improving against the pass rush isn't just about getting quicker either. I didn't say his pass protection is perfect, but the people that say it's "terrible" are exaggerating or just heard someone say he needs to improve and are acting like they watched him. I've watched every game he has ever played. Yes, he needs to improve. I don't think that's impossible for him to do. I don't want him at #19 either.
    The way to combat speed rushers is both technique and foot speed/lateral agility. Something guys very rarely can add.

    Fluker is going to struggle badly pass blocking, he is going to need help from a TE or back on most 5+ step drops against any pass rusher he is up against.

    That's a significant issue

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    131
    Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    unfortunately for him, every DE in the NFL is a speed rusher.

    And players almost never gain mobility.... So this "he needs to become faster" thing will never happen.

    Hes a mauler, great for a team that runs the ball all game. Similar to the 49ers anthony davis (who also went first round).

    But the giants are a passing team. A run first guy who struggles to pass protect just does not fit very well.

    1. Very few strong-side DEs in the NFL have the speed/quick-twitch that he struggles with. Those DEs are usually on the weak side, not the strong side.

    2. Giants are NOT a passing team. The foundation of the offense is still the running game.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts