+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I don't understand the negativity regarding DJ Fluker

Quote Originally Posted by EliManningUp View Post
    Did you watch 2011 where Eli played with a turnstile at RT in McKenzie? He did pretty damn well.

And Fluker is nowhere close to a turnstile. He gets beat a couple times a game. That's it. The majority of the time, he stonewalls his guy. He's an above average pass-blocker.
    That's a HUGE exaggeration. I just rewatched the Michigan and Miss State games where Fluker allowed a total of 8 pressures between the two games. His lack of mobility was highlighted in particular when the blitzing LB went past his right side as if he never existed and McCarron was sacked for a big loss. It was close to injuring the QBs ankle too. He gets away with a lot because of his freakish arms but heavens forbid if someone gets past him and you might as well start running. He even gets beat in the run game at times as well so lets not act like he is going to suddenly make a team top 10 in rushing.

Edit: Oh and he's the perfect victim for speed rushers on crucial passing 3rd downs. He would be too much of a liability when it matters most.

fluker had success in the college game thanks in large to the reach/length of his arms. THAT WONT BE NEARLY AS EFFECTIVE IN THE NFL. cant stress that enough. Guys will be into and by him by the time he gets his feet set, his feet are that bad in pass pro. he could get better, and as a RT u typically want a mauler in the run game anyways...BUT we don't run a traditional offense we need a RT thats as capable pass blocking as he is run blocking and Flukers quite a bit aways from that point...I'd rather sign a FA at value like Andre Smith or Eric Winston, draft Warmack/Cooper whoever falls OR draft Barrett Jones in the 2nd/3rd rd...honestly in pass protection, fluker might not even be a clear cut better player than DD and thats saying a whole lot...

edit-before i read any comments, yeah that DD comment went too far lol

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan420 View Post
    fluker had success in the college game thanks in large to the reach/length of his arms. THAT WONT BE NEARLY AS EFFECTIVE IN THE NFL. cant stress that enough. Guys will be into and by him by the time he gets his feet set, his feet are that bad in pass pro. he could get better, and as a RT u typically want a mauler in the run game anyways...BUT we don't run a traditional offense we need a RT thats as capable pass blocking as he is run blocking and Flukers quite a bit aways from that point...I'd rather sign a FA at value like Andre Smith or Eric Winston, draft Warmack/Cooper whoever falls OR draft Barrett Jones in the 2nd/3rd rd...honestly in pass protection, fluker might not even be a clear cut better player than DD and thats saying a whole lot...

edit-before i read any comments, yeah that DD comment went too far lol

We're not signing either Andre Smith or Eric Winston. So that's that.

And the Cowboys at 18 need a OG. Neither Warmack nor Cooper will be there.

DJ Fluker at 19 would be a phenomenal choice.

I think it just comes down to DJ Fluker looking like an obese Ramses Barden. After years of being unable to run anything except a slant, Giants fans are rather negative over the fact he let himself go in order to re-sign with the team as a tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by EliManningUp View Post
    We're not signing either Andre Smith or Eric Winston. So that's that.

And the Cowboys at 18 need a OG. Neither Warmack nor Cooper will be there.

DJ Fluker at 19 would be a phenomenal choice.
    I would be shocked if the Giants took Fluker at 19.

The guy is going to get burned every single play because apparently only defensive ends gets better after college... Yet somehow he's projected to be a first rounder??! GMs should read our boards to really learn about players.

Again, I don't want him at #19 since we're more of a passing offense and I agree it's his weakness right now... but he's not as bad as people are makingh him out to be.
    Last edited by BlueSabbath; 04-02-2013 at 01:10 PM.
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:
    1. CJ Mosley (Alabama, LB)
    2. Odell Beckham Sr. (LSU, WR)
    3. Tre Mason (Auburn, RB)
    4. Anthony Steen (Alabama, OG)

I respect Enigma and Slips opinions more than just about anyone on here, but I disagree with the both of you. You're both definitely exaggerating reality here.

Enigma - Michigan and Miss St. were not bad games for Fluker. I count no more than half those 8 pressures you mentioned. You must be placing blame on pressures that were actually the responsibility of AJ Mccarron, the RB protection, or Anthony Steen (RG). The guy is a force in the running game and doesn't look bad in pass protect.

I think the point is clear that he would be an upgrade over anyone we've had at RT for the last 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by PBTimmons View Post
    This. Pugh is not happening. Not. Happening.

I respect Enigma and Slips opinions more than just about anyone on here, but I disagree with the both of you. You're both definitely exaggerating reality here.

Enigma - Michigan and Miss St. were not bad games for Fluker. I count no more than half those 8 pressures you mentioned. You must be placing blame on pressures that were actually the responsibility of AJ Mccarron, the RB protection, or Anthony Steen (RG). The guy is a force in the running game and doesn't look bad in pass protect.

I think the point is clear that he would be an upgrade over anyone we've had at RT for the last 3 years.
    I'll list them for you then and let you judge for yourself

Michigan

0:17 - Both on Fluker and the RB. Fluker was just way too slow on the snap here to diagnose the inside move.

1:13 - Deep pass attempt by the Roll Ride. Good coverage down the field but both Fluker and the TE on the weakside are beat by their man to force McCarron to throw it away. This one is a little debatable but it would still count as a pressure.

1:56 - The defensive end manages to shed Fluker here and takes the RB down for a loss in the backfield. This is obviously not a pass pressure but just an example that Fluker can be beat in the run game lol. He's not perfect in that regard.

2:02 - He looked sloppy on his backpedal here and the defensive end had a good amount of room and thus, managed to turn the corner against him. At least this one was technique.

4:12 - Kouandijo (moreso) and Fluker are both beat around the edge on this deep pass attempt. No coverage pressure here.

I'll have to rewatch the Miss State game later but that is what stood out to me on Michigan. I like him much better at Guard in the pros personally and even if he does play RT initially, I can't imagine him doing too well at it when he reaches the twilight portion of his career.

Just watch Alabama vs LSU to feel good about your side of the argument. There is a load of NFL talent on that LSU line and Fluker had no problems... even when facing Mingo (a first round speed rusher) on passing situations. I remember at the end of the game Alabama was in obvious passing situations because of the time and being down. If Fluker sucked so bad Mingo would have easily been flying right by him. Didn't happen. He pretty much owned Mingo whenever they faced off.

I'm not too concerned with the Michigan game. It was the first game of his junior year. I'm more concerned with how he developed.
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:

Quote Originally Posted by TheEnigma View Post
    I'll list them for you then and let you judge for yourself

Michigan

0:17 - Both on Fluker and the RB. Fluker was just way too slow on the snap here to diagnose the inside move.

1:13 - Deep pass attempt by the Roll Ride. Good coverage down the field but both Fluker and the TE on the weakside are beat by their man to force McCarron to throw it away. This one is a little debatable but it would still count as a pressure.

1:56 - The defensive end manages to shed Fluker here and takes the RB down for a loss in the backfield. This is obviously not a pass pressure but just an example that Fluker can be beat in the run game lol. He's not perfect in that regard.

2:02 - He looked sloppy on his backpedal here and the defensive end had a good amount of room and thus, managed to turn the corner against him. At least this one was technique.

4:12 - Kouandijo (moreso) and Fluker are both beat around the edge on this deep pass attempt. No coverage pressure here.

I'll have to rewatch the Miss State game later but that is what stood out to me on Michigan. I like him much better at Guard in the pros personally and even if he does play RT initially, I can't imagine him doing too well at it when he reaches the twilight portion of his career.
    What are these times? Are they game times? A link to which film you are watching? No qtrs listed so I'm confused.
    2014 MOCK DRAFT:

+ Reply to Thread