+ Reply to Thread
    Bench Player

Are Pro Bowl alternates considered pro bowlers?

I always wondered if guys got selected and go because another player didnt go for whatever reason, are they considered a pro bowler. For instance if Cruz gets selected as an alternate say if Jennings doesnt go because he is hurt or whatever, next year when the analyst mention cruz will they say the pro bowler victor cruz? Like how they say " the pro bowl player, 2 time pro bowler, or what have you?

Also, does it count if cruz makes it next year as a regular, will they say its his 2nd pro bowl? I personally think he should have made it over Jennings. Cruz over 70 catches for 1300+ yards and 7-9 tds. Jennings 63 for 9-something yards and about 6-9 tds. Micheal Irvin made a good point about how he looks at a recievers catches and the importance of most of his catches and said Jennings had alot of catches that were game changing and scoring plays is why Jennings deserved to make it; As if cruz didnt have " ANY " of those. Cruz had a hell of a lot of those for sure!!

Re: Are Pro Bowl alternates considered pro bowlers?

The only time alternates are considered pro bowlers is when they take someone elses spot due to injury or rejected invite.

From reading the New York Post, It would seem that coaches tend to nominate veteran players for the prow bowl instead of "rookies." For instance the New York Post stated that "The Giants" nominated Osi (wtf? he didnt even play) and Justin Tuck as prow bowlers. Jason Pierre-Paul's name was not even on the ballot. He was a write in by fans and some unkown coaches.

So..it would seem that the Pro Bowl is politically incline towards veterans rather than the best players of the year.

Example, steve smith (NYG) filled in for someone (he was an alternate) and is considered a probowl wr

[quote user="lionjune"]

I always wondered if guys got selected and go because another player didnt go* for whatever reason, are they considered a pro bowler. For instance if Cruz gets selected as an alternate say if Jennings doesnt go because he is hurt or whatever, next year when the analyst mention cruz will they say the pro bowler victor cruz? Like how they say " the pro bowl player, 2 time pro bowler, or what have* you?

Also, does it count if cruz makes it next year as a regular, will they say its his 2nd pro bowl? I personally think he should have made it over Jennings. Cruz over 70 catches for 1300+ yards and 7-9 tds. Jennings 63 for 9-something yards and about 6-9 tds. Micheal Irvin made a good point about how he looks at a recievers catches and the importance of most of his catches and said Jennings had alot of catches that were game changing and scoring plays is why Jennings deserved to make it; As if* cruz didnt have " ANY* " of those. Cruz had a hell of a lot of those for sure!!

[/quote]

The answer is yes. Once an alternate is selected to play, from that point on they are a "pro-bowler" at there position. Eli was an alternate who was selected to play back a few years ago and so now he's a pro-bowl QB. Same as Benedict Arnold, I mean $teve $mith...

Bench Player

oh ok sounds good. So Eli is a two time pro bowler and that's redicoulous that they wouldnt consider the best players for that yr in some cases. Everything these days are too politically driven

there is no advantage to having your players named to the Pro Bowl

it gives them an extra chance to get hurt and they will demand more money at contract time

I hope we jut keep winning Super Bowls and never have anyone named to the Stinking "Pro Bowl" popularity contest