+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

NY Giants, Jerry Reese Follow No NFL Draft Trends; Expect The Unexpected

http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/31/...cted-in-april/

Excerpt: "As of mid-week, the New York Giants should enter the 2013 NFL Draft with 76 players already on their roster. Since free agency has slowed down and general manager Jerry Reese handled business in his calm, collected demeanor, quite a few conspicuous holes have been filled. While there are still some dealings to go down this offseason/free agency period, the focus has shifted full well onto the main event that is the draft.

The Giants haven’t entered a draft with a glaring need since 2004 when they held the 4th overall pick. If you don’t know what transpired that April afternoon, please ask someone. Of the following eight years (2005-2012), mostly defensive players were drafted in the first round. Wideout Hakeem Nicks (2009) and tailback David Wilson (2012) were the exceptions. Offensive lineman hasn’t been a number one pick of blue since Luke Petitgout was chosen out of Notre Dame in 1999 (funny enough, with the 19th overall pick).

If you’re looking for a trend, stop. Reese is a bit harder to figure out in his method of building a draft board than Ernie Accorsi ever was. While BPA (Best Player Available) is part of the equation, many are wrong in stating it’s the sole method. Need (especially in the first round) is most definitely factored in. Funny part about that is that most armchair general managers and coaches have no idea of the Giants’ actual need. Remember when Accorsi drafted a Troy pass rushing defensive end by the name of Osi Umenyiora and the draft “experts” scoffed at the pick? You can never have too many pass-rushers. Those experts are dropping tears in their cheap beers as Mr. Umenyiora has now signed elsewhere.

Co-owner John Mara knows this is the time of year where his New York Giants have strength.
    “The key to long-term success in this league is what happens at the end of every April," Mara noted. "You have to draft well." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Because there is no "glaring need", OL will be the 1st and WISE pick.

Yep it has always been BPA with the Giants and they rarely will trade up or trade picks away
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

What if the BPA is a QB or WR? Do they take him? It seems to me the BPA is always splitting hairs between a group of players at any point in the draft. Any one player is probably not heads and shoulders above all the others, unless it's somebody who's dropped due to character issues or some other intangible nonsense; but that's a different situation. Sometimes those guys just fall, and they fall right into our lap. But, barring that, DE is probably going to be the choice, or a really good DT. That's always been the Giants draft bias, along with CB, and I doubt it's going to change any time soon. If JR does something different, especialy OL, that will be the real surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by keyofgmen View Post
    Because there is no "glaring need", OL will be the 1st and WISE pick.
    I dont think they will get as good of value as they had last year with Cordy Glenn staring them in the face at 32. If they passed on him I dont see them taking a lesser prospect higher.

Disagree they dont have a glaring need i think the Dline is in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwoodBlue View Post
    What if the BPA is a QB or WR? Do they take him? It seems to me the BPA is always splitting hairs between a group of players at any point in the draft. Any one player is probably not heads and shoulders above all the others, unless it's somebody who's dropped due to character issues or some other intangible nonsense; but that's a different situation. Sometimes those guys just fall, and they fall right into our lap. But, barring that, DE is probably going to be the choice, or a really good DT. That's always been the Giants draft bias, along with CB, and I doubt it's going to change any time soon. If JR does something different, especialy OL, that will be the real surprise.
    If they are players with potential, yes. Although with Eli, QB is a long term back up proposition in the short term. A WR yes, especially is he comes with versatility on STs .

I sure hope we go Oline at least twice in the draft in the first two and mid round
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

I'd love to see OL or LB with the first pick, but I think I have a better chance of finding the Easter bunny staggering around outside this morning, trying to catch a cab home, than seeing that happen.

DE or DT is the likely pick

Quote Originally Posted by Die-Hard View Post
    I'd love to see OL or LB with the first pick, but I think I have a better chance of finding the Easter bunny staggering around outside this morning, trying to catch a cab home, than seeing that happen.

DE or DT is the likely pick
    LMAO

I'm hoping for Oline first which MIGHT tell us how much confidence they have in Tracy and Ojomo. I expect to say "no ****" with each pick every year.

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I dont think they will get as good of value as they had last year with Cordy Glenn staring them in the face at 32. If they passed on him I dont see them taking a lesser prospect higher.

Disagree they dont have a glaring need i think the Dline is in serious trouble.
    Maybe Cordy Glenn is not that good? Maybe JR thinks Dj Fluker is a much better prospect.

I kind of doubt JR would go with QB, if BPA, because of all the needs we have. Yet, if a top tier QB or WR fell to us at 19, you'd better believe JR would snap that up, or make a trade downward to some team willing to pay to move up! And it seems that's what always happens when we are drafting at 19 or there about. Someone falls who is too good to pass up, such as Amukamara. Trust in JR.
    Do not feed the trolls.