+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

NY Giants, Jerry Reese Follow No NFL Draft Trends; Expect The Unexpected

http://www.giants101.com/2013/03/31/...cted-in-april/

Excerpt: "As of mid-week, the New York Giants should enter the 2013 NFL Draft with 76 players already on their roster. Since free agency has slowed down and general manager Jerry Reese handled business in his calm, collected demeanor, quite a few conspicuous holes have been filled. While there are still some dealings to go down this offseason/free agency period, the focus has shifted full well onto the main event that is the draft.

The Giants haven’t entered a draft with a glaring need since 2004 when they held the 4th overall pick. If you don’t know what transpired that April afternoon, please ask someone. Of the following eight years (2005-2012), mostly defensive players were drafted in the first round. Wideout Hakeem Nicks (2009) and tailback David Wilson (2012) were the exceptions. Offensive lineman hasn’t been a number one pick of blue since Luke Petitgout was chosen out of Notre Dame in 1999 (funny enough, with the 19th overall pick).

If you’re looking for a trend, stop. Reese is a bit harder to figure out in his method of building a draft board than Ernie Accorsi ever was. While BPA (Best Player Available) is part of the equation, many are wrong in stating it’s the sole method. Need (especially in the first round) is most definitely factored in. Funny part about that is that most armchair general managers and coaches have no idea of the Giants’ actual need. Remember when Accorsi drafted a Troy pass rushing defensive end by the name of Osi Umenyiora and the draft “experts” scoffed at the pick? You can never have too many pass-rushers. Those experts are dropping tears in their cheap beers as Mr. Umenyiora has now signed elsewhere.

Co-owner John Mara knows this is the time of year where his New York Giants have strength.
    “The key to long-term success in this league is what happens at the end of every April," Mara noted. "You have to draft well." Read more...

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Because there is no "glaring need", OL will be the 1st and WISE pick.

Quote Originally Posted by keyofgmen View Post
    Because there is no "glaring need", OL will be the 1st and WISE pick.
    I dont think they will get as good of value as they had last year with Cordy Glenn staring them in the face at 32. If they passed on him I dont see them taking a lesser prospect higher.

Disagree they dont have a glaring need i think the Dline is in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    I dont think they will get as good of value as they had last year with Cordy Glenn staring them in the face at 32. If they passed on him I dont see them taking a lesser prospect higher.

Maybe Cordy Glenn is not that good? Maybe JR thinks Dj Fluker is a much better prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post

I agree, we do have some major holes on this team now. Reese has to make decisions with the hand that has been delt him by ownership. The Mara's have never been big spenders. Always profit first. Its not a hobby with them as it is with a lot of Billionaire owners.
    TC: My ma urged me to get out of this game. When I was a kid, she pleaded with me. And I meant to, you know what I mean? But she died.

Reese: Tough

TC: Now look at me. I'm wet nurse to a last-place, dead-to-the-neck-up ball club, and I'm choking to death!

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
    I agree, we do have some major holes on this team now. Reese has to make decisions with the hand that has been delt him by ownership. The Mara's have never been big spenders. Always profit first. Its not a hobby with them as it is with a lot of Billionaire owners.
    You can't be serious. How do we end up in CAP hell every year if we aren't big spenders? If profit was first, how is it they haven't raised the price of season tickets in four years.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    You can't be serious. How do we end up in CAP hell every year if we aren't big spenders? If profit was first, how is it they haven't raised the price of season tickets in four years.
    Seriously. Jeeps post is just about as bad as that poor soul last night that thought our home jerseys were the whites.

Holy mother of pearl. Wow! lol

Thats some crazy talk right there. They have no problem spending when neccessary. In fact, I think they've OVER spent a bit, which is why they have very little room under the cap. The Mara's are not the Glazers, who care much more about Man U than the Bucs.

Contract money is a preset amount allocated by the league. There is a minimum total just as there is a maximum total. It's not as if owners pay players directly out of their wallets.

Saving cap doesn't equal profit, either. The money stays with the team.