+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: NY Giants, Jerry Reese Follow No NFL Draft Trends; Expect The Unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by bigjeep View Post
    I agree, we do have some major holes on this team now. Reese has to make decisions with the hand that has been delt him by ownership. The Mara's have never been big spenders. Always profit first. Its not a hobby with them as it is with a lot of Billionaire owners.
    Contract money is a preset amount allocated by the league. There is a minimum total just as there is a maximum total. It's not as if owners pay players directly out of their wallets.

Saving cap doesn't equal profit, either. The money stays with the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    McScrub could be the guy we've been waiting for so long to finally replace Jonas Seawright. Guys like that just don't come around every year.
    TA DA!
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Need is always a factor when the team is drafting, but one think JR does is ensure the team doesn't have any CRITICAL needs that he has to pass up more talented players in order to fill that need with the best player he can. Outside of QB, WR and maybe RB, I could legitimately see the team picking any other position and it would fill a need.

Maybe not the teams' biggest need on paper, but there's not a position on the team that we don't have some prospects with where if they had to, they could go into the season without drafting someone.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

Quote Originally Posted by CowboysSuck View Post
    Im sure the pick involves a combination of BPA and need.

A simple algorithm perhaps..... BPA x .6 + Team Need x .4 =? (player with the highest total ends up being the pick)

If Reese and co have the BPA listed as 1-200, 200 being "best" and Team Need listed 1-10 as 10 being "best", this is a simple way to calculate the effectiveness of the draft pick.

obviously in this example, BPA is weight 60% and Team Need 40%. What these percentages really are is up for debate.

or it could be the BPA weighted by a "team need factor". For example, if the FO has 200 players ranked it simply becomes (BPA)x(team need factor) where team need factor can be weighted accordingly each year
    Would it be too complicated to add a "value of position" variable? Or could you figure that in under "team need?" For instance, guard is a need as well, but guard isn't typically a position the giants like to use a high pick on. They may be willing to go guard, however if they believe there is a once in a generation type guard (over stating to make my point) available but skip a guard who is the best player but grades out as just a very good player. A better example may be fullback - don't care how good a full back is nobody is gonna pick a fullback in the first round. Any fullback athletically capable of even being considered in the first would probably be at another position.

All-Pro
    Not confident in their DL at all. They need major help and would not be surprised if they drafted DL through most of the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy333 View Post
    Not confident in their DL at all. They need major help and would not be surprised if they drafted DL through most of the draft.
    We could use 2 on the DL and OL but would be shocked if they all come from the draft.
    No one remembers who came in second.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jomo View Post
    We could use 2 on the DL and OL but would be shocked if they all come from the draft.
    Still think there is a chance they can find a FA OL that can be serviceable. If they don't, they stay healthy, and Eli has a better year they should be fine. Can't say the same for the defense. They are in some serious trouble and their DL does not impress at all.

unless I'm mistaken didn't Mara say in his interview that the defense needs to be fixed since we couldn't stop the run and our pass rush went intothe tank so I don't see how the GM can go any other way but defense in the early rounds....

Quote Originally Posted by JesseJames View Post
    unless I'm mistaken didn't Mara say in his interview that the defense needs to be fixed since we couldn't stop the run and our pass rush went intothe tank so I don't see how the GM can go any other way but defense in the early rounds....
    He did talk about the defense but I don't rememeber his verbiage including "fixing." I think his thought was more aggression.
    Last edited by RoanokeFan; 04-01-2013 at 05:31 PM.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RoanokeFan View Post
    He did talk about the defense but I don't rememeber his verbiage including "fixing." I think his thought was more aggression.
    Didn't he mention specifically the trenches? So both lines need to be better but the DL needs more help than the OL.

+ Reply to Thread